ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-15-2012   #11
Hammer

Talking Re: air bleed with plenum coolant bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
Thanks Paul.....it may be all coming off if I can't pass emissions in Nov....We'll see.

Rich
Boy I hear you there Rich. That's why i sold everything and went back stock. Well almost anyway. Passed with flying colors here in Idaho even with the Flowmaster Cat-Back.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #12
Hammer

Ada and Canyon (where I live) Counties in Southwest Idaho require smog checks biannually. DEQ Nazis wouldn't give me a waiver for the air injection system and it was just going to cost much to retrofit everything for the AI and cats. Even then no guarantee I would pass, that's why I removed the headers and chip. Now I have Marc's piggyback chip in so I can remove it easily and just have the stock chip in for smog.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Old 08-16-2012   #13
vilant

Default Re: air bleed with plenum coolant bypass

Well in PA, if you get Classic tags (15 years or older), an emissions test is not required. Another benefit is once you pay the $142, it's good for life, never have to register again. Just get it inspected once a year. The downside is your only suppose to drive the car once a week (no way anyone would know that but you) and the tags are purple.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #14
brentoleary

I have the plenum, injectors and the driver's side injectors housings off and had a few quick questions.

1. When I pulled the injectors off the passengers side I noticed every other injector had two o-rings on it and all but one of these also had a blue plastic cap. I presume the other blue plastic cap is in the injector housing, but I haven't fished it out yet. Does this mean I have a bad injector or can I just replace the cap assuming I can find it once I get the other injector out? I believe they are relatively new (<1yr) FIC injectors if that makes a difference.

2. The gaskets I pulled off were cut to match the porting, so I plan to cut my new ones similarly. I also had to scrape off a ton of permatex from the existing gaskets. Is it advisable use permatex when putting the new plenum, IH housing and IH coolant tube gaskets on?

Note: I also noticed that the gasket was incorrectly installed on the passengers side blocking off the hole to the IH coolant pipes.

Other than this everything is going OK - thanks to all the pointers I've received from the experts!
brentoleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #15
Scrrem

I have done several injector replacements and I have never see injectors with 2 O rings on any of the injectors, primary or secondary. Also, those blue caps are put on when the injectors were shipped, I believe they should have been removed before installation. I went with the FIC stainless injectors and they have performed flawlessly.

I did not use any permetex on my gaskets, the gasket should seal fine by itself. If you ever need to put the plenum in the future, it will make plenum removal easier and no need to replace the gasket.

Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #16
brentoleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
I have done several injector replacements and I have never see injectors with 2 O rings on any of the injectors, primary or secondary. Also, those blue caps are put on when the injectors were shipped, I believe they should have been removed before installation. I went with the FIC stainless injectors and they have performed flawlessly.

I did not use any permetex on my gaskets, the gasket should seal fine by itself. If you ever need to put the plenum in the future, it will make plenum removal easier and no need to replace the gasket.

Rich

I was kind of afraid someone was going to say that about the plastic caps .

I didn't find the "missing" cap in the injector housing or on top of the intake valve, so I assume it was never put on in the first place or it fell off and was vaporized at some point. The previous owner swapped out the injectors right before I bought it, so I presume he just neglected to take off the caps. Hmm wonder how the injectors even worked????
Old 08-19-2012   #17
brentoleary

Default Re: IH and Injector Installation

I found the picture below of my injectors at FICs website with the blue plastic caps and double O-rings. Just to be safe I emailed FIC to get their input. I'll update the thread once I hear form them.

Old 08-20-2012   #18
brentoleary

I spoke with the techs at FIC. The blue caps on the tip of my injectors are called "Pintle Caps". Their only purpose is to allow you to remove the injector without dropping the O-rings in the manifold. They are going to send me a few at no charge and I should be able to pop it on without much effort. They said I could put it back together as is without the cap, but since it's apart anyway might as well put them back on.
Old 08-20-2012   #19
Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Sounds like those blue caps on FIC are completely different than blue caps on RC. Kind of confusing
That's 'cause you got RC's, you rich *******.
Old 08-20-2012   #20
brentoleary

They are sending me a few new Pintle Caps ( I only need 1, but it won't hurt to have a spare) that I should be able to pop on, then reinstall the injector. The purpose of the pintle cap is to retain the 2 O-rings on the secondary injector when you remove the injector from the injector housing. You do in fact install the injectors with these blue caps on. It is worth noting that these caps do not cover the injector O-ring, just the very end of the injector. They do not interfere with the operation of the injector.

Hopefully that clears it up, if not let me know. I wanted to make sure it was captured for the sake of posterity (AKA the next poor sucker that has the same question )