ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-13-2012   #1
Don in VT

Default Best adhesive for dash plastic parts

Hi,

Can anyone recommend an adhesive brand for repairing dash board prices?

Thanks

Don
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: Best adhesive for dash plastic parts

I saw some one use a two part epoxy filler on some of the hard plastic stuff, like the center bezel where the radio lives. I just don't remember who here posted about that trick. Sorry.

Isn't the rest of the stuff foam with vinyl sprayed over it? I'd be careful not to use any kind of reactive glue as it could melt the foam.

I think either Cliff or Ben or Andrew got very creative with small pieces of thin sheet metal to repair those screw tabs that are always breaking.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #3
captcorvette

Lee (the master fabricator for sure) posted a repair he did on this lexan top. I have had simular luck with doing this type of repair but the glue I use is called Plastex. Stuff seems to have the ability to have some structural properties to it. Comes from a place by the name of G.T. Motorsports. I have to order it through the post and it is a right royal pain in the backside having to go through all the hoops and gates to get it here but the results are worth it to me. They are located in Reno, Nevada and have a website. Don't mean to be plugging a non member/supporter of the registry but this stuff so far is good. They have a website so you can do some reading. I think it is called plastex.net

Last edited by captcorvette; 08-13-2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: lousy proof reading and spelling
captcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #4
vilant

I tried using superglue to fix some of my cracked interior pillar molds, with no success. Went to Pepboys and every adhevise, epoxy, and glue they had said they would not work with polypropolene and some other type of plastic. I'm assuming that's what the interior plastic is made from because the superglue had the same message on it. I saw this on Eckler's
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...r+plastic+glue
was going to try the Med. glue the next time I order something from there, but I'm not sure if it will work.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote