ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Damn oil drain plug (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25963)

Dime 12-25-2015 07:52 PM

Damn oil drain plug

Well, was just out trying to change my oil. Easy enough right? Well I don't know what the hell I did last time (apparently I was mad and juicing at the time), but I couldn't get the plug to budge one bit. Started to round the plug some.

So, being the genius I am, I just grabbed a set of vise grips knowing that this would get it loose. ("I'll just order a new plug anyway.") Tapped it a bit, pulled and pulled, and rounded the plug some more.

Question is, applying heat safe?

I'll go back out tomorrow and see if I can get a cheater bar on there some how as well.

Thanks

A26B 12-25-2015 08:38 PM

Re: Damn oil drain plug

When they get rounded too bad for a box end wrench or a 6pt socket, try an 8" pipe wrench with a cheater. Holds better than vise grips.

Dynomite 12-25-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A26B (Post 236209)
When they get rounded too bad for a box end wrench or a 6pt socket, try an 8" pipe wrench with a cheater. Holds better than vise grips.

Yes....concur.....the pipe wrench gets tighter with torque and that 8 inch should be perfect :thumbsup:
(use a large box wrench with box on pipe wrench handle or pipe as a cheater).
But before you use 8 inch pipe wrench get yourself a New OEM Oil Pan Drain Plug

Or Aftermarket Oil Pan Drain Plug
and the Seal Washer

A little heat directed at the existing plug might help.

Oil Pan Drain Plug (14 mm Box wrench).....38 ft-lbs (5/8-18 Thread).....actually a bit less torque with a bit of Permatex on the washer/threads.
I never use a torque wrench on Oil Pan Plugs.....just a 14mm box wrench and pull about "this" much which is not too much :D

Jagdpanzer 12-25-2015 11:23 PM

Give the head of the plug a couple of good raps with a shop hammer and use a 6 point socket as Jerry suggests and it will come right out.

WVZR-1 12-26-2015 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynomite (Post 236211)
Oil Pan Drain Plug (14 mm Box wrench).....38 ft-lbs (5/8-18 Thread).....actually a bit less torque with a bit of Permatex on the washer/threads.
I never use a torque wrench on Oil Pan Plugs.....just a 14mm box wrench and pull about "this" much which is not too much :D

Hello Cliff - Engine Oil Drain Plug is by design a 9/16" HEX

Yes to the short pipe wrench suggested by Jerry if the OP has issues.

I have a few NOS Drain Plugs and maybe a couple of the Magnetic Inserted.

Dynomite 12-26-2015 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 236215)
Hello Cliff - Engine Oil Drain Plug is by design a 9/16" HEX

Yes to the short pipe wrench suggested by Jerry if the OP has issues.

I have a few NOS Drain Plugs and maybe a couple of the Magnetic Inserted.

Hi Dave: I am always a bit different as you know :p
The Oil Drain Plug .................9/16 is .5625 inches (14.2875 mm)
The Battery Cable bolt .......... 5/16 is .3125 inches (7.9375 mm)

Just now I had to go out and confirm on two ZR-1s ;)
For the Oil Pan Drain Plug the 14 mm actually fits just a tiny bit tighter than the 9/16 which is good.
For the Battery Cable Bolts to Battery Connection the 8 mm fits just a tiny bit more loose than the 5/16 which is fine.

Both the 14mm and 8mm flex head ratchet box open end wrenches are perfect for the set of Tools to Carry in the ZR-1

WVZR-1 12-26-2015 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynomite (Post 236218)
Hi Dave: I am always a bit different as you know :p
The Oil Drain Plug .................9/16 is .5625 inches (14.2875 mm)
The Battery Cable bolt .......... 5/16 is .3125 inches (7.9375 mm)

Just now I had to go out and confirm on two ZR-1s ;)
For the Oil Pan Drain Plug the 14 mm actually fits just a tiny bit tighter than the 9/16 which is good.
For the Battery Cable Bolts to Battery Connection the 8 mm fits just a tiny bit more loose than the 5/16 which is fine.

Both the 14mm and 8mm flex head ratchet box open end wrenches are perfect for the set of Tools to Carry in the ZR-1

Yes I do know about the bit different LOL and having NOS drain plugs BUT having always used a 9/16 box end I had to take a NOS drain plug and try the M14 after seeing this thread. An M14 wouldn't fit the NOS drain plug. An older drain plug is quite likely a fit. It's been a few years since we discussed the battery terminal bolt hex requirements.

Dynomite 12-26-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 236219)
Yes I do know about the bit different LOL and having NOS drain plugs BUT having always used a 9/16 box end I had to take a NOS drain plug and try the M14 after seeing this thread. An M14 wouldn't fit the NOS drain plug. An older drain plug is quite likely a fit. It's been a few years since we discussed the battery terminal bolt hex requirements.

Ha....yep.....you know what I would do in the case of a NOS drain plug :)

I would take it to my grind wheel or even a flat file in a vice for about 10 seconds :D

That would then be MNOS....not a case of get the right tool....but a case of get the right Drain Plug :sign10:

My best little modification is on the Belt Tensioner with a flat file (a 10 second modification) to allow this very cool Belt Tensioner Pulley to spin like crazy.
I do not like plastic stuff....DO like Billet Aluminum stuff (Oil Fill Cap, Dip Stick Handle, Belt Tensioner Pulley are examples) ;)
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...inumPulley.jpg

I am NOT an NCRS person either :handshak:

efnfast 12-26-2015 08:34 AM

Craftsman makes a great set of bolt extractor sockets.
http://www.google.com/shopping/produ..._aHIn9mAGilakw
These things work wonders.

Dynomite 12-26-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dime (Post 236208)
I'll go back out tomorrow and see if I can get a cheater bar on there some how as well.

Thanks

Well......did you get the oil drain plug removed?
What method worked for you?