PDA

View Full Version : Original Coolant for a 1990 ZR-1

Bell Curve
08-13-2005, 09:06 PM
What was the original coolant that came in a 1990 ZR-1. Was it the green stuff, or was it the red stuff? I've heard different stories as to which you should use, and that if your car came with one you should stick with it rather than change it. I know many GM cars come with the red-orange stuff now, but I wonder what was our original coolant.

Kevin
08-13-2005, 09:27 PM
I use green in my car

Jim Jones
08-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I didn't even know there was a red coolant in 1990. I think the Dexron (orange-red) is a newer type of coolant. Mine has green as well.

Jim

Aurora40
08-14-2005, 09:10 PM
There was no Dex-Cool in 1990. The cars came with the green stuff. However, you can use other ethylene-glycol coolants such as Dex-Cool. It won't have any long-life properties when used in a system that had green coolant, though.

I'd stick with the green stuff, except it's just about impossible to find. I ended up using Prestone Extended-Life stuff just because that's the closest to normal green silicated coolant I could find...

Nick
08-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I just use the green stuff, and change it every other year, while adding a bottle of Red Line Watter Wetter. Also, don't forget you're better off using distilled water for the lack of mineral content. :thumbsup: