PDA

View Full Version : Which aftermarket Flywheel do you have?

Z Factor
11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
For those of you who have changed to a lightweight flywheel, which one did you install?

:cheers:

Patton
11-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Great thread, I have been wondering about this too, and if you did install a lighter flywheel, how did it effect driveability/RPM responsiveness? Also, Might I add, has anybody here installed lightweight/carbon fiber drive shafts? :thumbsup:

WB9MCW
12-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Me got da BIG F in mine and scored the whole pkg from these guys. Very happy with the clutch/flywheel perf. improvement, but I do get the famous "gear rattle" off the ZF tranny...the clutch is a stage 1 ceramic I think. Tell em boys just what ya need and they will hook u up & gud $ deal too!:thumbsup:

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/Untitled-1.jpg

bradslt5
02-16-2008, 10:35 PM
fidanza here also with the ceramic disc . love it on the street. at the strip its picky .either bog or cook the tires ight think of trying a little heavier one for my black car since its going to become a dedicated drag car. other than that its a very cool mod

Jagdpanzer
02-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Is it a good idea to go with a spring hub clutch disc with the Fidanza FW?

Jeffvette
02-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Yes, it helps take some of the noise out.

XfireZ51
02-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Is it a good idea to go with a spring hub clutch disc with the Fidanza FW?

Using 11" Camaro LT-1 sprung hub disk with mine.

FU
02-26-2008, 11:58 AM
One has Billy Kirchoffers FW-PP and clutch
The other has a stock set-up.

A26B
02-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Fidanza, with Spec stage 2/3 hybrid combo disc. Don't forget to install those special PP bolts with aluminum flywheels from Ron Wood, for safety's sake.

Jagdpanzer
02-26-2008, 04:41 PM
I understand most after market clutch companies use the the same pressure plate supplier but how would those with expirience rate the spring hub clutch discs avalable from Centerforce, Spec, Mcleod, Corolina Clutch or anyone else I may have missed for general street use with the usual Z mods (headers, SS exhaust, chip, 4.10s, p&p intake,AL Fidanza flywheel)?
Seems the Mcleod disc JeffVette was mentioning a while back is no longer being produced.

mgbrv8
07-13-2009, 06:10 AM
I just got mine and it has a Fidanza fly. and it rattles under load and below 2000rpm it sound as if the front bearing of the trans is bad. It maybe more that just the fly. Its also the noisest when its warmed up.

Dave

WB9MCW
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I just got mine and it has a Fidanza fly. and it rattles under load and below 2000rpm it sound as if the front bearing of the trans is bad. It maybe more that just the fly. Its also the noisest when its warmed up.

Dave

Believe it or not it is actually the syncros in the tranny rattling together.

Not to worry though it will not hurt anything except your pride. :cheers:

mgbrv8
07-13-2009, 05:13 PM
will a trans rebuild and a clutch disk with dampener springs cure the problem?

Dave

Jeffvette
07-13-2009, 07:25 PM

Dave

I believe John used the sprung disk. Raising the idle will help some when sitting at a light. But a rebuild will not help.

WB9MCW
07-13-2009, 07:42 PM

Dave

The only cure is to put the stock dual-mass flywheel back in. That is why they used the dual-mass in the first place was to quiet the rattle. I call it the rut-rut-rut sound.

But then you will give up all the performance gains of the light flywheel.

mgbrv8
07-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Well hopefully you guys will get to know that I’m not a quitter I’m an engineer and machinist. Nothing is impossible just impractical. I look forward too the challenge if that’s all there is too it and no trans damage.

Dave

XfireZ51
07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Well hopefully you guys will get to know that I’m not a quitter I’m an engineer and machinist. Nothing is impossible just impractical. I look forward too the challenge if that’s all there is too it and no trans damage.

Dave

Dave,

It really isn't as big an issue as you may think. The noise comes from uneven pulsing from the motor causing the synchros to rattle. The dual mass absorbs that vibration. A sprung hub disk helps do the same altho nowhere near as completely. However, with judicious tuning and slight raising of idle (mine is in the 725rpm range), the uneven pulsation is better controlled significantly diminishing the rattle from the synchros. Choice of trans fluid also contributes to making the single mass acceptable.

rhipsher
08-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Fidanza. Because Micheal Savage told me to.=D>

XfireZ51
08-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Fidanza. Because Micheal Savage told me to.=D>

Who's she?

rhipsher
08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Who's she?

Sorry Mr spell check. Michael Savage is the man.

WB9MCW
08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1540/savagebythebaysitelogor.jpg

Michael Alan Weiner (born March 31, 1942 in New York City), better known by his pseudonym Michael Savage, is an American conservative political satirist, radio host, author, and political commentator. He is the host of The Savage Nation, a nationally-syndicated talk-radio show that airs throughout the United States on Talk Radio Network. The Savage Nation has a very large audience, ranging from 8 to 10 million listeners on 350 stations across America, making his show the 3rd largest radio talk show in the country. He holds master's degrees in medical botany and medical anthropology and he earned a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, in nutritional ethnomedicine. As Michael Weiner, he has written books on herbal medicine and homeopathy. As Michael Savage, he has written four New York Times-bestselling political books.

Michael Savage calls himself an "independent-minded individualist" and says that he "fits no stereotype." Savage criticizes "big government", homosexuality and activism on some issues, and liberalism, accuses the media of liberal bias, and champions environmentalism and animal rights. He has said that there are three aspects that define a society: borders, language, and culture. He founded the Paul Revere Society in 1996 with his son Russell to protest illegal immigration; he says the group's mission is to "bring together Americans who actively seek to take back our borders, our language, and our traditional culture from the liberal left corroding our great nation.

If Savage owned a Hot Rod ( he sold his collector Caddy when he moved to Florida) no doubt he would have a Fidanza in it!

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3941/fidanzasbfalum.jpg

XfireZ51
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry Mr spell check. Michael Savage is the man.

:sign10:

rhipsher
08-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Very nicely done Bryan. What was really funny was when Charles Barkley thought he was going to out wit Savage in a radio debate. Savage made him look like an un educated dumb azz who knew nothing about the history of this nation. Barkley got slaughtered and at the end found himself starting to agree with savage on imigration policy ect.

rkreigh
08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
fidanza, and I've run both the sprung and unsprung and with the big Ol LPE 234 cams honestly it's just loud either way

sounds more like a diesel than an LT5! but the lightweight TI rods, and flywheel help compensate for the bigger stroker crank to make the LSV 390 one free revving engine with the 4.10 gears.

actually it's a bit too much gear, but as the drag boys say, never too much gear, just too little traction and too few RRRRRsssss

blueprinting the tranny helps a bit, as does going to the shockproof oil, but the alum flywheels gonna rattle. from "not much" if you have a stock cammed lt5 and a tight clearance tranny to "diesel truck" like my car even at 950 rpms due to the big cams (which sound cool)

the advantages of the lightweight flywheel are somewhat misunderstood.

they help the car rev faster, but don't work as well getting it off the line due to the lower inertia, especially with stock gears.

but with 430 pounds at the tire, with 4.10 gears, the alum flywheel works very well and I probably wouldn't go back as the fast revving and reduction in mass on the car overall are worth it

I'm looking at the new SVT McLeod dual disk which I believe comes with a dedicated flywheel setup as I can "drive through" and slip the clutch a bit in 3rd and 4th gear when the car is really hooking up.

I've been running around on the hoosier drag radials this summer and it's just way too much fun as you can now feel what 500 at the tire feels fully hooked up.:salute:

WB9MCW
08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
I bought the ceramic race clutch and an alum. flywheel from CC....other than the dreaded rut,,rut,,rut,,, "tranny-gears" rattle at idle and low rpm's under load...the new setup is unreal...rev to 3500 dump the clutch and hold on...all my friends are impressed to say the least...I am now testing the life span of half shaft u-joints...lol

I kept the old flywheel (in fine shape) so I can revert her back if ever needed!!!

"Ceramic" it is a beautiful thing.............................

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/images/Header.gif
:thumbsup:

I WENT WITH THIS STAGE 3 KIT AND THE ALUM FLYWHEEL AND BOLT KIT >>> http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/108823.aspx

I really like my Fidanza and the Stage 3 race clutch.

http://www.fidanza.com/

But the syncro rattle is there for sure with out the DM stock flywheel.

Paul Workman
08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Not that it matters, but is it actually synchros causing the rattle? I always assumed it was just the lash between the input gear and the carrier and then between the carrier gears and the respective gears on the main shaft - with a little bearing lash thrown in to boot...No?

P.

WB9MCW
08-25-2010, 06:49 PM
FROM THE ZR-1 LISTSERVE NET

Subject: Re: ZF Gear Rattle

>So I figure that that
>is part of the problem in the ZF, the off gears actually vibrate on the
>shaft when in another gear.

I don't think that's the problem with the ZF--at least not the one that
makes gear rattle.

Gear rattle, at least the phrase as used by manual transmission
engineers, refers to the noise made by the gear teeth "rocking"
Obviously, gears must have some clearance between the gear teeth. This
clearance provides the space necessary for gear rattle.

the impact of the gear teeth makes a click noise. Obviously, this happens
quite rapidly and the noise we hear is a rattle.

Loud gear rattle is comparatively rare in passenger car manual
transmissions, but is not unheard of.

But, if you really want cases of loud gear rattle, just hang around heavy
trucks. In fact, the dual-mass flywheel idea is common in diesels used in
semi-truck-tractor. It used a Fuller, RoadRanger 15-speed, dual-counter
shaft transmission. All it took was a few miles to warm up the
transmission and you heard the true meaning of gear rattle.

Now, why is gear rattle a particular problem with the ZF?
The severity of gear rattle is affected by two major transmission design
features 1) "center distance" which is the linear distance between the
centerline of the input/main shafts and the counter shaft and 2) the mass
of the gears in the transmission. In the case of the ZF S6-40, both these
factors are large. The ZF has the longest center distance of any
passenger car manual transmission and is larger than even some truck
transmissions. It also has very massive gears compared to say an old
Muncie four-speed or other passenger car manual you might have had apart.

Combine all this and you have gear rattle from ZFs at idle. Replace the
dual-mass with a standard flywheel and significantly increase the gear
rattle. If you have an early ZF (89-93.5) they rattle more than the late
ZFs.

>For those of you into doing your own thing, the following cured 85% of
>my gear rattle. 20-50 wt motor oil with a dash of slick Fifty manual
>trans stuff.
20W50 engine oil for the factory-recommended 5W30 is an good strategy to
reduce gear rattle. In fact, if you put 80W140 gear oil in the ZF, you'd
probably have no gear rattle at all.

The problem with use of high-viscosity lubricants in the ZF is increased
parasitic loss, degraded shift feel and, in some cases, degraded
the parasitic loss and the shift effort, we'd find it degraded compared
to a transmission in similar condition but lubricated with a low-vis
engine oil or gear lubricant.

There is a particular Red Line product that is a solution along these
lines, however, but it is *not* approved by wizards at ZF and not even
suggested for street use by Red Line Oil. Nevertheless, it seems to work.
"Superlight ShockProof" were developed mainly for road race and stock car
use. Rumor has it that Superlight is very popular for transmissions in
Winston Cup qualifying.

Again, let me stress: this is not a discussion for those who believe the
only lubricant you can put in a ZF is either the GM 5W30 engine oil or
the Castrol 10W60 synthetic.

I've used Light Shockproof in both my ZFs and the five-speed transaxle in
my daily driver for a number of years. There have been no failures,
spectrographic oil analysis has never indicated a problem and shift feel
is as good or better than the same transmissions lubricated with Red Line
MTL. The only negative I've experienced with Light Shockproof is cold
with the exception of the oil analysis, this is somewhat anecdotal