ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-31-2007   #1
va beach biker

Default Upgrades w/ new exhaust ?

I'm getting ready to get a cat-back system soon, is there anything else worth doing to the exhaust while I'm pulling the old pipes off? I'm not ready for headers yet, but maybe a crossover pipe, x pipe, etc?

I should have expected the hop-up bug to bite this soon.
Old 03-31-2007   #2
zr-1assassin

Default Re: Upgrades w/ new exhaust ?

no-resonator??? good!!
zr-1assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #3
Z Factor

Lightbulb Re: Upgrades w/ new exhaust ?

I know you say you are not ready for headers, but they will make a much greater difference than the cat-back with just the stock manifold/cats. Combining headers with a aftermarket exhaust is really one of the best ways to unleash the beast without spending big $$$.

As to the x-pipe it will add a few hp but without the headers it will not make a big difference. Depending on your state emission inspections you might also consider gutting your cats as a cheap alternative to headers, but it still will not be as good as adding them.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #4
Aurora40

Just something to consider, you could also keep the stock piping and replace the resonator and mufflers.

I love the stock square tips, so that's what I did. Picked up ~22whp (though I also have a ported plenum/IH's which were probably choked a bit by the stock exhaust). With someone else doing the labor, it cost me about the same as a Flowmaster cat-back costs just for the parts.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #5
ArcticZR1

I get my B&B this week with the X pipe also...I was going to have it put on with the stock headers and cats...here's the question - if I decided to go with Stainless Works headers with cats...are they the same length and fit?
91' White/Red #858

Last edited by ArcticZR1; 04-01-2007 at 02:14 PM.
ArcticZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #6
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticZR1
I get my B&B this week with the X pipe also...I was going to have it put on with the stock headers and cats...here's the question - if I decided to go with Stainless Works headers with cats...are they the same length and fit?
Short answer is probably no, but it is close. When I put on my Watson headers the B&B with X-pipe needed two small 3" pieces to connect the headers to the X. I of course do not have cats not needing them in Florida, so depending on what you are putting together the fit might be close. However chances are you will need a tiny bit of fab work that any local muffler shop can accomplish if you don't do it yourself.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #7
Peaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40
Just something to consider, you could also keep the stock piping and replace the resonator and mufflers.

I love the stock square tips, so that's what I did. Picked up ~22whp (though I also have a ported plenum/IH's which were probably choked a bit by the stock exhaust). With someone else doing the labor, it cost me about the same as a Flowmaster cat-back costs just for the parts.
Hey Bob, 22whp is very good for that mod....I've got the stock exhaust taking up space in my garage and have been thinking about doing the same thing...what combo did you use for muffler/resonators?
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #8
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaven
Hey Bob, 22whp is very good for that mod....I've got the stock exhaust taking up space in my garage and have been thinking about doing the same thing...what combo did you use for muffler/resonators?
I used an LT4 resonator and Dynomax Ultraflow 3" mufflers. There's a (abridged) write-up in the HoTB about it.

I initially wanted to use Magnaflow mufflers, I have a feeling they would be a little quieter. But the outlet spacing on them was too narrow to put the stock tips on, the tips would have been pretty much touching each other. The Dynomax mufflers had outlets with similar spacing as stock. Flowmaster 40's also had the right spacing, but those are baffled which I didn't want, and might have been even louder.

If you have LT1-style rectangular tips, then your options really open up. Those need a single outlet muffler, so you don't have any spacing issues or anything like us dual-outlet guys. Also if you have a '93 or later then the resonator should be about the same as an LT4 one, so no need to swap. But the '90-92 resonator was much narrower than the LT4 one.

They are a bit loud at cruise. I've gotten pretty used to it though. It's not headache inducing, but there is more drone than before.

I imagine 2.5" mufflers would work just fine and not cost much or any power. I just didn't want to put on 2.5" ones and then wonder... I figured if it's too loud, I could always have it redone with 2.5" ones. So far I haven't wanted to do that.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #9
Peaven

Thanks Bob, now all I gotta do is figure out when i'm going to start on my little mod quest.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote