ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2019   #1
mmkkpro

Default Light blue and orange wires

Good morning guys, I am digging into my dash to try to figure out why I have a no start, no dash lights, no warning lights, no horn, no high bean indicator light and no turn signal arrow bulbs flashing. Although all exterior lights work including high beams and turn signals.
Digging around in the wiring on left side bottom of steering wheel I found a light blue and orange wires soldered together and what looks to be a resistor of sorts. It does not look like a factory connection to me. Does anyone know what or where these wires go? I have FSMs but having a hard time reading the electrical one, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190526_064725.jpg (103.7 KB, 64 views)
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019   #2
mmkkpro

Default Re: Light blue and orange wires

I forgot to mention it was wrapped in black electrical tape.
Old 05-26-2019   #3
QB93Z

Can you tell us the history of the car and any symptoms leading up to the "no-start? Do you know who did this mod and when?

I have seen dash problems caused by faulty electrical grounds. Inspect for other damaged wires. One over heated wire, due to not being fused properly, can melt the insulation on other wires in other places.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019   #4
mmkkpro

Hi Jim, I bought this car about a month ago, before that as far as I know it sat for 4 or more years. The story I got about the car is the fuel pump went out and it was parked. I'm not convinced of that. I am the 4th owner as far as I can tell. The guy I bought it from is a police officer, he traded a jeep for it 4 years ago to his friend, the friend is the nephew of the guy who bought it new. I have tried to contact original owner with no luck yet, may try to call him today. With the car sitting so long it has really done a number on it. I currently have the whole dash apart cleaning all connectors and searching for why I have nothing when turned to start. The no start along with no dash back lights, no warning lights, no tones, makes me thing I have a short in a major power wire, with that said the fuses have power, auxiliary fuse box has power, all exterior lights work along with interior lights. I tested the started by running a hot wire to purple solenoid wire where the fire wall bulkhead is and it spun over and sounded fine. I have my FSMs and am learning about this car as I go. But as far as knowing for sure the history of the car it's still unknown. This Pic I posted this morning is the only thing I have found to be suspect as far as wiring goes. No other butchering as far as I can tell so far.
Sorry for the long reply, got a lot going on in my head right now. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-26-2019   #5
mmkkpro

One more thing, I tested my chip in my key its 7500 ohms and treated the wiring coming from switch and it read 7500 same as key so I think vats is OK, still may bypass it, just to eliminate it as a possible issue.
Old 05-26-2019   #6
32valvZ

Is it possible the ignition switch at the bottom of the column is faulty?
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019   #7
mmkkpro

Yes it is 32valvZ, while I have her apart I'm putting a new one in, I just got my new clutch pedal and bracket installed. Someone pushed so hard on the old one it bent it down and sideways, the clutch master was frozen. I learning this car intimately, that orange and blue wire with that resistor is well done just have not found it I'm the 8a shop manual yet, that thing is kinda hard to read. Thank for the reply.👍👍🏁
Old 05-27-2019   #8
Z51JEFF

Could that be a capacitor? I believe there is a capacitor down around the brake light switch.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019   #9
Hib Halverson

What model year is the car.
Can you be more specific about those two wires? Their location and, better yet to what component do they lead?
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019   #10
mmkkpro

May be, have not found anything in the FSM that looks like that. It's crimped and soldered very well, but it is wrapped in electrical tape. Not sure what it is, having a time figuring out why I still have no warning or, back lights, no tones for key, lights, seat belts no lcd, I thought sure the new ignition switch would help, gotta keep searching, thanks