ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-01-2019   #1
Rumblin70SS396

Default Disabling the Air Bag and Seat Belt Warning Lights

Hello all,

When I purchased my car, it came with an aftermarket steering wheel which I plan on keeping. Problem is, both the air bag and seat belt warning lights remain on. Is there a way to disable or trick the car into thinking they are there?

I imagine I can remove bulbs but that seems extreme.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Rumblin70SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #2
indy91zr1

Default Re: Disabling the Air Bag and Seat Belt Warning Lights

I just recently installed an aftermarket steering wheel in my 91. I had to install a 2ohm resistor. If your seat belt lights are on also I don't know much about that but am pretty sure you can get away with installing the resistor in the wiring for the clock spring and the lights should go out.
indy91zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #3
Ccmano

I wouldn’t do that. You will likely disable the airbags as well. Exactly what “light” is on? InfRest? If so it’s likely it’s this very common C4 issue where the the left and right impact sensors mounted to the the frame rail have a corroded ground. Here’s how to fix it.
H

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Inform...EST-light.aspx
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #4
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
I wouldn’t do that. You will likely disable the airbags as well. Exactly what “light” is on? InfRest? If so it’s likely it’s this very common C4 issue where the the left and right impact sensors mounted to the the frame rail have a corroded ground. Here’s how to fix it.
H

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Inform...EST-light.aspx
I don't think he has an airbag with the aftermarket wheel. Which is why the light is on.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #5
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
I don't think he has an airbag with the aftermarket wheel. Which is why the light is on.
It was early when I wrote that, lol. Coffee hadn’t kicked in yet. Answer to that is simple, put the correct steering wheel on. Other wise just pull the bulb out of the DIC. I’m not familiar with the resistor method.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #6
indy91zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
It was early when I wrote that, lol. Coffee hadn’t kicked in yet. Answer to that is simple, put the correct steering wheel on. Other wise just pull the bulb out of the DIC. I’m not familiar with the resistor method.
H
I agree with you if he doesn't want to keep the aftermarket steering wheel. If he does then the resistor method is pretty simple. I tried pulling bulb out of dash and I don't know if it caused it or not but my sys light came on in the lcd screen. I replaced bulb and did resistor method and all has been well.
Old 05-01-2019   #7
Rumblin70SS396

Thanks for the replies guys, I do want to keep the aftermarket Momo wheel. Where exactly does the resistor go? Any pics or a thread of someone who did this?

Thank you,

Tony

Old 05-02-2019   #8
indy91zr1

There is a yellow wire that if they just cut off the clockspring behind the steering wheel. You would just connect one end of the resistor to each wire. If they actually unplugged it and pulled everything out there will be a connector behind the knee panel on the ds. You would basically put ends on the resistor and plug it into the plug. If you look up aftermarket steering wheel there are a few write ups here. I found some on corvette forum as well.
Old 05-02-2019   #9
Rumblin70SS396

Default Disabling the Air Bag and Seat Belt Warning Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy91zr1 View Post
There is a yellow wire that if they just cut off the clockspring behind the steering wheel. You would just connect one end of the resistor to each wire. If they actually unplugged it and pulled everything out there will be a connector behind the knee panel on the ds. You would basically put ends on the resistor and plug it into the plug. If you look up aftermarket steering wheel there are a few write ups here. I found some on corvette forum as well.

Thank you for this! I assume the knee panel is this center one? Just want to make sure before I start tearing things apart. I pulled the wheel to fix the horn and wasn’t looking forward to that again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0549.JPG (313.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-03-2019   #10
indy91zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblin70SS396 View Post
Thank you for this! I assume the knee panel is this center one? Just want to make sure before I start tearing things apart. I pulled the wheel to fix the horn and wasn’t looking forward to that again.

Yes that is what you want to pull. The plug will be buried up under the metal plate behind the carpeted panel. Pulling that off was a pain in the butt for myself as i didn't have a 10mm wrench. there are two bolts towards the center console that can be kinda a pain. You cant miss the plug though. Big and yellow. Also there will be a bunch of wires running between the two panels. The first time i took all my stuff apart then threw back together my ccm module started throwing a fit and flashing buttons and sys flashing on dash. Just be careful with them. I took everything back apart and that fixed it so I assume I just pinched them. Everything was good after taking apart and putting back together.