ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-08-2004   #1
Eagle_4

Default Supercharged LT5

I looked on the forum in the search engine for a supercharged LT5 and couldn't find one. Anybody know about this or anybody that has done it? What times did they run? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
Landon
Old 03-10-2004   #2
Patton

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I have searched hi and low for the exact same thing, all i get is hearsay and stories! Someone even told me he HAS one on LS1tech.com but he wont tell me who makes it,.... hmmmm sounds fishy to me. My mechanic who works almost entirely on ZR1s and ZO6s says he has never heard of one. Good luck and God speed on such a worth quest! Maybe someone will mercifully shed some light on this for us, good topic!

While we are on the subject of stuffing air, check this out... coming soon, this maybe even better than that elusive supercharger.
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/Turbo%20Kits.htm
(Look at the bottom of the page,... yeah thats right they are making a twin turbo kit that is supposed to be relatively inexpensive for the ZR1 coming out this month, hell even if its unvieling postponed it is something to definetly look forward to.

(thats 2 for me Zfactor! )
Old 03-11-2004   #3
Eagle_4

Wow, I'm liking this already. If I could do the 550 hp option I saw from a company in Georgia and then put the twin turbo on I'd be set and one happy white boy. Maybe it'll be out before too long and relatively in expensive as well. Thanks for the site!
Old 03-11-2004   #4
Z Factor

Welcome to the forum Landon.

I've heard that there are a few blown Z's, but never have seen any proof of them existing. The TT's however do exist, so that will probably be your best bet.
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004   #5
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor
Welcome to the forum Landon.

I've heard that there are a few blown Z's, but never have seen any proof of them existing. The TT's however do exist, so that will probably be your best bet.
LPE did 4 TT zr1s, callaway, gieger, mallet, and now SGC is building one.

the TTS folks are planning one too.

while a supercharged zr1 is probably doable, I've never seen one.

I HAVE seen John L (rest his soul) make some 9.4x passes in Norm K.s TT LPE ZR1 @ 140+ at BG which isn't the fastest track in the world.

car launched pretty soft and struggled for traction.

this is a fully streetable car on slicks with skinny fronts and not at all a "drag car"

the SGC stage I car is targeting 55x rwhp and is going to be designed for low boost on a stock lt5. a stage II to follow with a build 368 and another 200 or so HP on top of that. these will be very streetable and reliable combinations and a nice alternative to the radical 415 builds making similar power.

I have an LPE 390 that makes 505 rwhp, but I can tell you it will be TAME in comparison to even the stage I TT ZR1. the torq curve of the turbos is just amazing.

I have been running around in a Turbo Buick since 1987 I can tell you first hand that the big boost turbo power is for real.

just look at the dyno numbers the supras put down. like the vettes, they struggle to hook it all up but trust me, they are fast!!!

I spoke to aaron last week, and the project is going ahead with the goal of having a car done by BG. lets hope so. it will be amazing.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004   #6
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh

now SGC is building one.

the TTS folks are planning one too.

the SGC stage I car is targeting 55x rwhp and is going to be designed for low boost on a stock lt5. a stage II to follow with a build 368 and another 200 or so HP on top of that. these will be very streetable and reliable combinations and a nice alternative to the radical 415 builds making similar power.

I spoke to aaron last week, and the project is going ahead with the goal of having a car done by BG. lets hope so. it will be amazing.
Any idea of the cost for either stage I or II at this point?

Also, I know what you mean about boosted rides as I use to have a Turbo bike with vitually no lag, and it flew.
Old 03-24-2004   #7
rkreigh

SGC hasn't finished the prototype or established pricing. but the target is somewhere around the mid 20s, not cheap but competative.

it will all depend on how much time and effort it takes.

the results are likely to be spectacular.

SGC does awesome work and Aaron is great to work with.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #8
240Z TwinTurbo

Final tuning complete and the verdict is in.
550hp@wheels
520ft-lbs@wheels
Hats off to Jim Smith for his relentless effort in tuning this thing. Thanks for not giving up.
Special thanks for Graham Behan of LPE for his continual technical support throughout this build. Graham was also supportive in helping us tune this motor and work through some of the problems we were having.
Can't forget to give KUDOS to Aaron Scott and SGC for bringing me onboard to work on this project. Aaron has a nice shop and I would recommend him to anyone who wants some good honest work.
Finally, I would like to thank myself for doing a damn good job on this PIA project!:crazy:
I had the pleasure of driving the car today and it indeed feels strong. First and second gear are worthless at full throttle and third gear fights to stay hooked up. Car pulls strong to 7K and doesn't seem to give up any power. Real power comes on ~3.5K rpm when peak torque begins to hit. Look forward to seeing some track results with this thing, but I expect to see well over 130mph.
You can see pics under the projects section of my website.

www.speedshopthagard.com

[/url]
3.1L TwinTurbo L28
10.62@134.1
240Z TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #9
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Final tuning complete and the verdict is in.
550hp@wheels
520ft-lbs@wheels
Hats off to Jim Smith for his relentless effort in tuning this thing. Thanks for not giving up.
Special thanks for Graham Behan of LPE for his continual technical support throughout this build. Graham was also supportive in helping us tune this motor and work through some of the problems we were having.
Can't forget to give KUDOS to Aaron Scott and SGC for bringing me onboard to work on this project. Aaron has a nice shop and I would recommend him to anyone who wants some good honest work.
Finally, I would like to thank myself for doing a damn good job on this PIA project!:crazy:
I had the pleasure of driving the car today and it indeed feels strong. First and second gear are worthless at full throttle and third gear fights to stay hooked up. Car pulls strong to 7K and doesn't seem to give up any power. Real power comes on ~3.5K rpm when peak torque begins to hit. Look forward to seeing some track results with this thing, but I expect to see well over 130mph.
You can see pics under the projects section of my website.

www.speedshopthagard.com

[/url]

=D>

Congrats to everyone involved

Now that you have the experience the question is, are you going to be building any more in the near future?

Old 05-08-2005   #10
240Z TwinTurbo

I believe SGC has plans to copy the kit and make it available through an install at his shop. It is too much work to sell as a kit and have someone install themselves.
BTW, new numbers on the car today.
565hp/532ft-lbs@wheels with 7.5psi of boost.
3.1L TwinTurbo L28
10.62@134.1
240Z TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote