ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-08-2008   #1
lbszr

Default clutch slave cylinder

Thanks to Bill Boudreau website and all the talk on here saved a lot of extra work with slave cylinder.

First cyl. seal installed correct but most of the seal was ripped off and the evidence seemed to of been missing also since it would of been trapped between the boot, which sounds like one of the common problems. (from dealer)

Found out also thier discontinued from gm even the newer one up to 96 so they had no more there.

Carquest had one in warehouse and got next day a lot cheaper, seals correct and looks good from raybestos, looked like a acdelco though, was just wondering if anybodys rebuilding these yet or if the raybestos ones bought from acdelco old stock?

Anybody tried Silicone brake fluid in the clutch system? Seems like it would keep the corrosion down.
Old 04-09-2008   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: clutch slave cylinder

During the Q/C disaster I tried all of them.....Ray's, Wagoner, ACDelco/GM genuine, and they all had the same issues that Bill B talked about....went thru six sets till I finally had to kind of make my own slave....all of them looked to be from the same blueprint, all the DOM style slaves & M/C's were identical, right down to the Q/C issues. All the cast type units were identical also, but I don't know if the cast slaves had the seal issue.

My conclusion was that either everyone was conspiring to ruin our syncros or all this stuff was a re-box from the same factory that had very bad Q/C.

Since I got mine to work correctly, I stopped paying attention. Last I saw was that the "new & corrected inventory" had not yet been shipped to vendors. That was last yr about this time. I know GM and TRW ( GM's vendor/mfg of choice for these parts ) never really owned up to any Q/C issue. They, GM & TRW, said that the "spillage rate" was within normal limits, but after Bill B and Tom Henry Chevrolet complained most vigorously, GM & TRW said that "they would look into the issue".

All I can say is that be aware that the seal on backwards was not the only Q/C issue with the batch in question....stuff made from 06 & back to about 04 according to Mr. Boudreau.

I bought the genuine GM fluid as per Bill's suggestion, although I hear synpower brake fluid stuff by Valvoline worked well for some.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 04-09-2008 at 06:32 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #3
lbszr

I was afraid a nightmare like that was starting when the first bad one was found. Feeling lucky the second one was good. Sure would be nice if we could just get seals for them.
Old 04-09-2008   #4
tomtom72

I just read over at the other corvette forum that the new stuff has one remaining Q/C issue.....this issue was also prevelant in the old stuff that I got caught out with....metal fragments left in the slave bore as a result of machining the bung bores..i assume the threading process is the cause.

Bill B has a post on that other forum in the C4/ tech section from 3/08 warning everyone to this issue and further warning them to keep the slave level after you have put fluid in it. He says that if you tilt it with fluid in it you will wash the metal frags to somewhere that they may do damage.

Just go over there & do some snooping & reading...I wouldn't want to see ya get jammed up by this B. S.!!!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 04-09-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2008   #5
lbszr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
I just read over at the other corvette forum that the new stuff has one remaining Q/C issue.....this issue was also prevelant in the old stuff that I got caught out with....metal fragments left in the slave bore as a result of machining the bung bores..i assume the threading process is the cause.

Bill B has a post on that other forum in the C4/ tech section from 3/08 warning everyone to this issue and further warning them to keep the slave level after you have put fluid in it. He says that if you tilt it with fluid in it you will wash the metal frags to somewhere that they may do damage.

Just go over there & do some snooping & reading...I wouldn't want to see ya get jammed up by this B. S.!!!

Tom

Did see what looked like a possible shaving in the bore and some other chunks debris farther in so cleaned the whole thing out before reassembling. Haven't actually installed this one yet though, but don't foresee anymore problems
Old 04-10-2008   #6
tomtom72

It's nice to see that some things never change. The chunks are from the machining of the ends of the spring to make them flat....they grind them down to a too thin finish and don't chamfer the ends and they break off and float around in the cylinder bore. I "machined" my spring ends' with a small file to give them a chamfer to make them less prone to breaking off.

Okay, rant "off". Just make sure the ends of the spring aren't too sharp. They just ran them on a grinder station to convert the round spring stock to a flat end so the spring sits flat in the end of the cylinder bore.....or at least I think that is what they were trying to do???

Tom
Old 04-10-2008   #7
4DSZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
... I "machined" my spring ends' with a small file to give them a chamfer to make them less prone to breaking off...

Tom

Great tip! Thanks for posting it. Another valuable tip filed away for when my time comes.

Rick
4DSZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote