ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-07-2013   #1
Bob Eyres

Default To Re-Finish or Not to Re-Finish?

To Re-Finish, or Not to Re-Finish, that is the question.

My '91 is far from "original". In fact I've got just about every bolt-on that has been offered in the last twenty years i've owned it. But nothing has been done that couldn't be returned to original. The LT5 has never been painted, polished, or even cleaned very often since new. And, like most LT5's in their original state, it looks pretty shabby in the "battleship gray" that the original finish has oxidized into.
Seeing as this engine is the focal point of the car, and it's reason for being, what do you do with what has turned into a gray lump instead of a source of pride.

1. Get it re-finished. The reasons:

- The most beautiful Corvette engine of all time should be saved from the crappy paint it was born with, originality be damned.

- You can have any color you want, even have it polished. Unleash your creativity.

- It's the focal point of the car. Make those C5, C6, owners green with envy.

- Be proud of your ZR-1, not ashamed of that crappy gray motor.

2. Or, Not Re-Finish. The reasons:

- Like the NCRS would say, "It's only original once". How many original mid- year Sting Ray owners years ago succumbed to the temptation of getting out the rattle cans to spruce up their engine compartment. Thereby losing the original factory finish, and some value, forever.

- Even if it doesn't look nearly as good. You can clean up the engine surface and restore the paint... somewhat.

- It costs time, and money to re-finish the motor. Why spend the cash and effort to do something that will actually lessen the future value of the car.

I'm sure there are as wide a range of attitudes on this as there are ZR-1 owners. And of course, any approach is valid.
It's your car and you can do anything you want with it. But why are you painting, powder coating, polishing, or leaving it "original"?

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: To Re-Finish or Not to Re-Finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
To Re-Finish, or Not to Re-Finish, that is the question.
What was the question again?
90' Top End Refinishing all completed with engine in car and the cost a couple cans of High Temp Rustoleum See Item #3 of Eliminating TB Coolant and Air Induction, Added Oil Catch Can and Painting

As an aside.....I have a 91' (bottom photo) that I had powder coated top end and it is amazing I can hardly tell the difference between Powder Coated and Rustoleum.

Painting Cam Covers .................................................. ...and Plenum.

90' Rustoleum

91' Powder Coated

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-07-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #3
mike100

I'm satisfied with the partial clean up on mine by cleaning and polishing the original finish. I thought about powdercoating the plenum and I/H's when I had them off, but I was not willing to remove perfectly functional cam covers and hardware just for aesthetic reasons. I wanted matching grays so i stuck with the affordable clean and polish option.

The engine bay cleans up pretty well still and it matches the rest of the car- used, but obviously still a pretty decent example.

This pic is older- i have since been able to polish the cam covers, but with the right technique, some luster can be brought back.

Last edited by mike100; 12-07-2013 at 11:26 AM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #4
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
To Re-Finish, or Not to Re-Finish, that is the question. My '91 is far from "original". In fact I've got just about every bolt-on that has been offered in the last twenty years i've owned it. But nothing has been done that couldn't be returned to original. The LT5 has never been painted, polished, or even cleaned very often since new. And, like most LT5's in their original state, it looks pretty shabby in the "battleship gray" that the original finish has oxidized into.
Seeing as this engine is the focal point of the car, and it's reason for being, what do you do with what has turned into a gray lump instead of a source of pride....

Bob, I went through the same thought process when I came back into the ZR-1 world in the summer of 2012. After 13 years with HIL KING, selling it to Jim Voter, then waiting a few years, I picked up my Polo 95 with just 20,000 miles on it. Everything was stock and I could have left it that way and gone for Bloomington Gold. But I decided I had so enjoyed the modified car that I would begin mods. Had Marc Haibeck do a thorough servicing then, like you, did lots of bolt-ons: Corsa, Hurst, 4:10s etc.

But when I had received the car (which I did based on pictures and discussions, not an actual visit) it was in great overall condition as expected but I felt the engine finish was not as good as I had hoped and not as good as I had kept my original LT-5 in the 93. So I thought long and hard about refinishing it. I did not plan to refinish it myself but would plan to have Marc do it--if I did it.

But the more I thought about the cost and effort of refinishing, and the more I looked at Marc's website, seeing those refinished engines with the “Haibeck 350 500HP” signs on them, the more I thought – why not do a bit more? I figure I am not getting any younger, and how many more years can I play with high performance cars? Then during these deliberations I read a book on Teddy Roosevelt's 1913-14 trip to explore the uncharted River of Doubt in the Amazon Rain Forest. It was written by a friend and neighbor of mine. It's title is “My Last Chance to be a Boy” and I thought, that's the way I feel! To this day I blame him for my decision.

The end result was to have Marc do his (now) 510 package last winter, along with refinishing the engine to look fairly stock using Fine Silver paint and black bolts. The performance is incredible, the look is spectacular and I have carefully saved all the takeoff parts. If someone wants to go back to stock it would be relatively easy. As I understand it a refinished engine only costs about 45 points at an NCRS certification.

So I recommend you go beyond refinishing – your last chance to be a boy! – and never look back. --Bob

2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #5
efnfast

I'm not gonna' save mine for somebody else. I'm enjoying it as much as I can afford.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #6
We Gone

When I got mine in 12 years ago I said I would never change it. Than I got the more power bug, never looked back.

You said it best "It's the focal point of the car"

Before

After
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #7
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
I'm not gonna' save mine for somebody else. I'm enjoying it as much as I can afford.
I'm with you 100% steve!!!

Drove my Z 200+ miles today

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #8
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
I'm with you 100% steve!!!

Drove my Z 200+ miles today

David
Nice David, 'fraid mines up for the winter.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #9
Franke

Mines put away for the winter too. Not too much snow here but it is cold. BRRRRRRR. 3 degrees right now and was 15 below the other night.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #10
4-cam

My choice was refinish the LT-5, the motor is just too beautiful to leave alone but I do admire the crowd with all original cars. Its just not my style.

Franke.. We need to meet up sometime. That's two BLK /Gray ZR-1 s in Colorado. Mine is up on jack stands receiving new SW headers and FBI style exhaust. It's been a bit cold in the garage this past week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0448.JPG (254.2 KB, 13 views)
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic

Last edited by 4-cam; 12-08-2013 at 12:34 AM.
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote