ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-17-2005   #1
Martin Geyer

Default A Little Help With Small Clutch Fluid Leak

NEED SOME HELP, I've got a small clutch fluid leak under car, NOT FROM MASTER CYL. what most likely problem & how do I fix it ?
Martin Geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: A Little Help With Small Clutch Fluid Leak

The best thing to do is go to zfdoc.com & read up on his discussion of our clutch hyd system. After you will see why it is so important to stay on top of it. Just a summary of the discussion, master & line & slave get done as one part. Too many bad things can happen if the system is neglected or "pieced" during a repair. The line & the slave are the easiest. The master is the most difficult part of the total solution because it is a bit of cramped quarters work under the dash. There just isn't much room & you're on your back. Taking out the driver's seat does make it a bit more comfortable to work. The master is in a place where if you remove the battery & fender panel you might find it easier to do the work on that side but taking off the fender is a bit of a PIA. It's just that the work space on both sides of the firewall is tight and that's adding to the PIA factor.

I cheated with mine. I paid the dealer to do my master & I did the line & slave after I got it home. If you let the dealer do the job just make sure they put the upper fender shim back in place correctly! They put mine back wrong and it was in the way if you opened the door all the way...it rubbed the door skin at the front edge. Open the door about 1/2 way & look down at the top of the rear edge of the fender & if you see a small silver thing sticking out of the rubber weatherstrip get a 10mm & loosen the top fender bolt & slide the sim all the way under the fender tang. If you do it all yourself you will not make that mistake.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #3
Jeffvette

As tom said replace all at once. I swapped out a line and slave in a parking lot in about 60 minutes, so it's not to bad.

Getting the MC is the hard part.
Old 11-28-2005   #4
Martin Geyer

Thanks alot guys, appreciate the help !
Old 11-29-2005   #5
tomtom72

Glad you worked out the problems. Did you look at zfdoc's site?

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #6
Martin Geyer

Yes I did. I Also have a 90 blk/grey, mines #1854. I,m getting it ready for Barrett/Jackson car show, thats the only place to get what they're worth. Mines just over 10m miles & true showroom condition. I'm not sure if I'll make Jan 4th show in Ariz. but Ill catch one in 06. The car deserves to be in someones collection, as a small business owner & bad economy I need the cash. My next Vette will be a C5 or C6 rag (my wife loves verts) & I'll stick a procharger on it. I'll miss the ZR1 for sure. Send some pics of your ZR1 & I'll return the favor wellworth@columbus.rr.com Thx again