ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-19-2006   #1
falconfling

Default Repaint a ruby red ??

When it gets to point that there are LOTS of paint chips, I'd thought about repainting a '93 ruby red in '03 anniversary red. I have a '03 and the paints are almost a match, the anni. red being more metallic. Effect the value ??
falconfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #2
WB9MCW

Default Re: Repaint a ruby red ??

IF IT IS A ZR-1 THEN I WOULD NOT! A REG. 93 LT-1 MAYBE NOT A BIGGIE...93 RR IS AN ANNIV. YEAR TOO! THATS WHY A LOT OF FOLKS WILL NOTICE EITHER WAY JUST LESS TO LOOSE ON A REG. C-4!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #3
TommyL

Got any detailed pics of the Z?. A friend has a ruby red LT-1 coupe and had the front bumper repainted, looks good but ruby red paint is very difficult to match perfectly.
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #4
WB9MCW

www.billsdisplay.vettepics.com/photo3.html click here for 40th zr-1 pic's
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-20-2006   #5
falconfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyL
Got any detailed pics of the Z?. A friend has a ruby red LT-1 coupe and had the front bumper repainted, looks good but ruby red paint is very difficult to match perfectly.
It is a Z (ain't nothin' like it! ). Paint is in good shape now, but I do drive it and it got several chips when I brought it back from Florida. Z's go real fast and the nice boys in west Florida drive like I 10 was Thunder Road. (I followed one Buick doing, most of the time,honest to G, 110 for almost 2 hours). Since paint matching is hard enough, I would assume a really good total paint job, in original color would be best way to go. But that got me thinking about the more metallic anniversary red.
pix:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montage ZR1 upload reduced.JPG (25.9 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by falconfling; 03-20-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2006   #6
Jeffvette

Paint it whatever color you want. It's your car, enjoy it. Their are plenty of pure 40th cars for the freaks to get the woodies over.

BTW, the 40th and 50th color are so similar. I've seen them both bumper to bumper. Th 40th is just a smidge darker.
Old 03-20-2006   #7
TommyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Paint it whatever color you want. It's your car, enjoy it. Their are plenty of pure 40th cars for the freaks to get the woodies over.

BTW, the 40th and 50th color are so similar. I've seen them both bumper to bumper. Th 40th is just a smidge darker.
I agree with Jeff, it is your car and you should paint it whatever color you like. However, the 40th paint has alot more gold flake in it and personally I think it is a deeper color (especially in the sun) then the 50th paint. If you are thinking about painting the entire car and find a good painter, blending the paint is not an issue and you could easily change the color. Changing the color on any vehicle if done correctly involves completly stripping the car of all the trim, hardware, and weather strip to spray the inside and outside of the doors (especially around the door decals on the drivers side) and various nooks and crannies...alot more work and expense. On the other hand if the existing paint and clear is good in these areas, it can be buffed and brought back to match the new paint of the same color without being noticeable. In the end it really depends on how good the painter is, how far you want to go, and what your budget is.

One thing to remember is that factory paint is much better then most after market paint jobs in quality...alot of people will say that "you cant duplicate the factory paint". You can get a very good looking paint job from reputable high quality shops, but rarly is it as good or as "durable" as the factory paint.

That being said, I have seen some awsome Callaway repainted cars that have a mirror finish...durabilty may or may not be an issue as I doubt these cars see alot of the road.

Last edited by TommyL; 03-21-2006 at 12:47 AM.
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #8
WB9MCW

Upon reading the above posts I think if your mileage is high then it is a driver not a "collectable". My orig. thinking was more along the lines of the collectable. Hell, if it is a higer mileage driver I agree with the others, do what makes u happy and drive the snot out of her! U can't take it with u and the Z's will go 200k easy... so drive-drive-drive and be happy!!! I do agree abt the factory paint durability comments though!
Old 03-21-2006   #9
falconfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW
Upon reading the above posts I think if your mileage is high then it is a driver not a "collectable". My orig. thinking was more along the lines of the collectable. Hell, if it is a higer mileage driver I agree with the others, do what makes u happy and drive the snot out of her! U can't take it with u and the Z's will go 200k easy... so drive-drive-drive and be happy!!! I do agree abt the factory paint durability comments though!
Its a cherry 20k car, and a 2nd one same with 16k. Point (to me) is the long term (20 plus years) trade off of driving the snot out of both of 'em but keeping them as pristine as possible. When I'm in the home, I'd like to see my kids turn some green off of them. I also am very close to New Braunfels, so I'm going to look into some tuning for them.
Old 03-24-2006   #10
tomtom72

JMHO but in 20 yrs, more or less, the Z's will be worth whatever the market says. I know that is a cop out but who knows the future. You paid the freight on them so I say use them what ever way makes you happy. If the chips get to you after a while then you decide what means more, OE paint w/chips or my ride looks better minus the chips. I guess the hard part is finding the right shop to do the right job.

I bought a 90 from the orig owner in 12/05 and it only had 8K on the clock, now it has 16.6K and all the stone chips to go with it. It bums me out because it was so not chipped when I got it but I'm a blue collar guy & can't afford a ZR-1 for show & one for go! So I use it & care for it but it is never gonna look like a showroom new car again. I've resigned myself to the fact that if I enjoy using it a lot, I will not be owning a concours ZR-1. So when the chips on the front get to me I'll try to afford the primo hood re-paint, if I can't well I had fun driving the car & it'll be worth whatever it's worth. My heirs can deal with that. In the mean time I'm gonna get my $ worth out of my car by driving it every chance I have. I'm 53 so my take is this might be the last vette I own. I'm not worrying about later. I'm gonna drive the a$$ off of my ZR-1.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote