ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-10-2015   #1
Hog

Default Chevrolet LT5 "Service" engines

We all know that most of the 1994+ 405hp LT5's(built in Fall 1993) sat a bit before they were installed in chassis of some MY1994 and all MY1995 cars.

They were labelled as sealed for storage or something to that effect.
Anyone have any info as to the chemical(s) that was/were used as part of this "sealing/storage"?

Any details as to its application? Simply sprayed on/sprayed into cylinders/sprayed into cam covers/lower end etc.?

Anyone opened up one of those sealed service engines and taken any up close pics?

Any factory sealed/unopened/plastic intact service engines left? All reasonable facsimiles have had the plastic opened.

I remember in 1996-97 these LT5 were advertised by dealerships in car mags for $21,000.

Thanks!

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015   #2
Marc Haibeck

Default Re: Chevrolet LT5 "Service" engines

Hi Hog,

We disassembled a '95 crate engine a few years ago. The Mercury Marine storage preparations were simple. They put sealing caps on the inlet vacuum fittings and the air horn. They placed desiccant bags in each of the exhaust ports. They are little white bags. The exhaust ports were covered with tape. By now the tape is very dry and peeling off. Then they put the entire engine in a plastic bag. That's it. There was nothing special done inside the engine. No sealing coatings like oil or wax.

Buyer beware with an LT5 crate engine. Since the engine was run for about 30 minutes on a dyno there is carbon in the ports just like a used engine. Make sure it's not a takeout engine from a car. A crate engine does not have a car VIN number stamped on the right rear bell housing flange.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015   #3
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post
Hi Hog,

We disassembled a '95 crate engine a few years ago. The Mercury Marine storage preparations were simple. They put sealing caps on the inlet vacuum fittings and the air horn. They placed desiccant bags in each of the exhaust ports. They are little white bags. The exhaust ports were covered with tape. By now the tape is very dry and peeling off. Then they put the entire engine in a plastic bag. That's it. There was nothing special done inside the engine. No sealing coatings like oil or wax.

Buyer beware with an LT5 crate engine. Since the engine was run for about 30 minutes on a dyno there is carbon in the ports just like a used engine. Make sure it's not a takeout engine from a car. A crate engine does not have a car VIN number stamped on the right rear bell housing flange.
Yep.....that is exactly how this 95' Crate Engine was stored.
I even Removed a Cam Cover to inspect the Lubrication and found the Cams in MINT lubricated condition. I then pressurized the Lubrication System to make sure the crankshaft was well lubricated. This was followed by a Cylinder Wall Inspection with a Bore Scope to check the Cylinder Walls which also were in mint condition. I spray lubed the Cylinder walls through the spark plug holes. The crankshaft on this engine was rotated periodically to make sure there was no dry spot or set in regard to the Pistons within the Cylinder Liners.

The 95' Crate Engine is stored in a Sealed Plastic Bag with Desiccant.

95' Crate Engine.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-11-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015   #4
Hog

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

Hey Dyno, what year were you into that 1995 engine?

Old 01-12-2015   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

Hey Dyno, what year were you into that 1995 engine?
I am not sure....I think 2010 when I also rebuilt a 1991 500 hp LT5
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015   #6
Hog

Thank you Dynomite!