ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-30-2005   #1
John Boothby

Default Oil Leak

I just developed what appears to be a major oil leak. I had only added 1 quart of oil since the last oil change, which I thought was about normal from all that I have read. Anyway, I was parked on about a 3 or 4 degree nose up incline for about 30 min (Barber shop). When I came back to the car I noticed a puddle of oil under the car in the proximity of the rear of the engine. Probably 1/4 quart! I checked the oil level and it was down about 1 & 1/2 quarts. I believe it is a rear seal. Anyway, has anyone had to replace a rear seal in an LT5? Are they hard to come by? Any idea of cost including labor through a dealer?

Note: I have not noticed any leaks up to this point. It appears to have come on suddenly. Any thoughts on this?
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #2
Jeffvette

Default Re: Oil Leak

Seal is available, you can do it in your garage. The trans has to be removed and that's it.
Old 12-30-2005   #3
John Boothby

I could do it in my garage, except for two things. One is that I have no way of getting the car off the ground far enough to remove the tanny. Number two is that the development where I live, I am prohibited from working on my car (UnAmerican, in my opinion!). Yes I know, this is my choice!

Anyhow, I have an appointment next Wednesday at one of the local Chevy dealers. I just thought that someone may have an idea as to what I am looking at in the way of cost. Great way to bring in the new year!
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 12-30-2005   #4
Jeffvette

Figure roughly 5 hours R&R for the tranny, and then maybe an hour for the seal, and then parts. Have them change out the tranny fluid to the BMW fluid while they are in there.
Old 12-30-2005   #5
John Boothby

By "BMW" fluid, are you talking BMW as in "Bavarian Motor Works"?

I just talked to the dealer and he gave me an "off the top of his head" price of around $1,200. He also said it might be an intake seal. ??
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 12-30-2005   #6
bobbyhi

Can't the dealer give you an estimate for repairs? Here in Minnesota you can request an estimate that can not go over by 10%. Good luck on the repairs...
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #7
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby
By "BMW" fluid, are you talking BMW as in "Bavarian Motor Works"?

I just talked to the dealer and he gave me an "off the top of his head" price of around $1,200. He also said it might be an intake seal. ??
Yes BMW M5 motor oil. It's a substitute for ZF6 transmission oil.

Intake seal is L98 and LT1 territory. I would not recomend you go with that dealership.

6 hours of labor at 70 per is 420, and the seal at the high end of dealerships might be 45 bucks. 1,200 is outrageous. If you had a place to work on it, I'd be willing to fly down and do it.
Old 12-30-2005   #8
Jeffvette

BMW part number for the oil 07510009420

Need 3 litres of it. You'll use 2.25 of them.
Old 12-30-2005   #9
cuisinartvette

Jeff, have a PN o the rear main? Looks like mines leakin' too. I assume its a 1 piece type that pops out and new one just presses in?
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #10
John Boothby

Thanks for all the info and offers of help guys!

The Chevy dealer has always been good to me. When I asked "how much" he just gave me a quick figure which is high. He also stated that it might be something else.

I do not know for sure what it is, as I cannot get under the car to see it. I have not actually seen it leaking, but I started it up this morning and backed it out on my driveway (which is on an incline) for a few minutes and checked the mat that I keep under the car. The mat was soaked. When I drove the car back into the garage the driveway had a couple of oil spots, each the size of a quarter, in just that short period of time. I have added 2 quarts of oil since yesterday morning. I have only put about 25-30 miles on it since then.

I am not driving the car until I find out where this leak is. It came on so fast and I do not want to hurt this motor! I am having the car taken to the dealer Monday morning via flat bed truck. I have already asked the dealer if I can get under the car to see for myself what it is, and he said "no problem".

Jeff, thanks much for your offer. I hope you have a very happy and safe new year!
1990 #148 Red/Saddle