ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-27-2005   #1
John Boothby

Default Master & Slave Clutch Cylinders

I have been having to add a bit of hydrolic fluid to my clutch master cylinder every couple of weeks for awhile now. I bought the car in May 05, so I went back in the receipts that the last owner gave me, and found that the Master & Slave cylinders were replaced in May 04. Could I have a defective Master/Slave cylinder? It seems that I read somewhere that there were some defective units out there. I cannot see any leaks, however, the paint on the cylinder where the master cylinder resevoir connects to the cylinder has peeled away. The connection is also wobbly. It could just be seeping.

I have to take the car in for service, thought that I would confront the service manager with the defective cylinder, if that is the case.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #2
ZR1 MK

Default Re: Master & Slave Clutch Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby
I have been having to add a bit of hydrolic fluid to my clutch master cylinder every couple of weeks for awhile now. I bought the car in May 05, so I went back in the receipts that the last owner gave me, and found that the Master & Slave cylinders were replaced in May 04. Could I have a defective Master/Slave cylinder? It seems that I read somewhere that there were some defective units out there. I cannot see any leaks, however, the paint on the cylinder where the master cylinder resevoir connects to the cylinder has peeled away. The connection is also wobbly. It could just be seeping.I have to take the car in for service, thought that I would confront the service manager with the defective cylinder, if that is the case.
Your correct. There was a discussion about this approx 6-9 months ago. I dont have specifics on manufacturer dates and suppliers issues, but the listsrev should have archives to help you.
ZR1 MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #3
John Boothby

Well, it looks like the slave cylinder from what I have read. Losing fluid with no signs of a leak. My slave is just over 1 year old as is the master. Should I replace both slave and master even though they are relatively new?
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 12-28-2005   #4
tomtom72

Wish I knew enough to give an answer. That said, did you go look at zfdoc.com & see what they say about the system? Normally they say to replace the system's three parts as if they were one part. Hose, master & slave all at once is what they say.

Maybe you could e-mail Mr B with the problem & ask. He will answer, trust me. I had a hyd problem and I was told to send an e-mail & Mr B answered me with his thoughts on my problem. He wanted to know what the out come was also! I was way new at the time & knew nothing about hyd clutch systems. zfdoc.com rocks & Mr B is really in the our corner! I was blown away by his generous response & genuine interest that I should understand how to care for the system. I can't say enough to compliment him & his genuine concern that I got educated!!

JMHO,
Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #5
John Boothby

Thanks for the info. By Mr. B, are you talking about Bill Boudreau of ZR51 Performance in Cave Creek Arizona?
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 12-28-2005   #6
John Boothby

Never mind, I answered my own question!!
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 12-28-2005   #7
tomtom72

...yes, sorry I keep using the wrong name...ZR51Performance...one of the best experiences I've had yet dealing with people connected to our cars!

to Mr Boudreau!!!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #8
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Your correct. There was a discussion about this approx 6-9 months ago. I dont have specifics on manufacturer dates and suppliers issues, but the listsrev should have archives to help you.
The issue was with the slave cylinder leaking from a issue. The MC has had no reports from my knowledge.

You can tear down the MC, but you need a special tool to reassemble the resevoirs. I would start by cleaning the area thuroughly and monitor it.