ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-19-2010   #1
rhipsher

Default Rear diff sealant.

I need to take the rear differential carrier off to put bushings in. Is there anything special about the sealant I'll need to seal it back up or is it a common type I can get anywhere? Thanx
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #2
sammy

Default Re: Rear diff sealant.

from what i understand it just a standard silicone stuff , are you putting on the bushings for the batwing ???/when i did mine i just dropped the batwing with the rear still on her , but understand that you may want to not pull everything off to pull it that way.
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #3
mgbrv8

I like a produce made by permatex called "The right stuff" most parts stores have it.

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #4
phrogs

I just use some RTV usully red stuff thats it.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #5

The Right Stuff can be bought almost anywhere. I have used it, it does a nice job.
902066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #6
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
from what i understand it just a standard silicone stuff , are you putting on the bushings for the batwing ???/when i did mine i just dropped the batwing with the rear still on her , but understand that you may want to not pull everything off to pull it that way.
Yeah now I see what you mean. Just unbolted the rear spring and put a spacer between the body bumper. The exhaust is the only thing preventing it from coming down any further. I'll drop it tonight. I try to work smart not hard.
Old 07-22-2010   #7
rhipsher

After getting the old rubber differential bushings out I still came to the same conclusion. I'm going to have to pull the differential carrier off anyway. For one just getting the old ones out I had to use a 1/2 drive impact wrench and driving it for two minutes a piece just to slowly work them out. Those are the biggest bushings on the car other than the motor mounts. And it takes allot of force to press them out. Once I put the poly bushings up there to check the fit I quickly realized it was going to take a couple of thousand pounds to press them in. I'm not kidding. In fact I'm going to make some bushing guides that force them to go straight in. I just don't feel like fighting with them trying to get them started. With the differential carrier off the car its just so much easier to work with. And the only way to get it on my 12 ton press. The funny part of this is that the rear was supposed to be easy and for the most part it is. But rebushing the differential carrier is not. So my advice is if you really don't need bushings in it then just leave it alone. I've already got the carrier off and will press the poly in. Man I'll bet with those big stiff poly bushing in there that its gonna make shifting gears feel solid like a Harley Davidson hard tail.

Last edited by rhipsher; 07-22-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2010   #8
phrogs

I was thinking that too but you would be better of just droping it and using the press instead of figuring out how to do it while avoiding droping the whole thing.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #9
rhipsher

Yeah I've already dropped it and it's half way saging down anyway. Otherwise the rear tie rod end is in the way of the bushing bolt. So at this point I might as well replace the rear tie rod ends while I'm at it. I feel like I'm restoring two cars. The 68 Mustang and this ZR-1. My 1968 Mustang was bought as a restoration project. The ZR-1 wasn't. But I tend to be obsessive when it comes to cars. I go all the way or no way at all. Half azz is just not in my DNA. But I know that if I take care of this stuff now I won't have to do it again for a long long time. That's a good thing.