ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-15-2010   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Question about installing front cover seal

I was wondering if anyone has experience installing a new front cover seal that might have close up photos or could confirm how far in the seal should be?

It seemed simple enough using the Kent Moore tool J-37309 and after placing the seal on the installed cover, place the tool over crankshaft evenly and tighten to press in like you would to install torsional damper. I though you are supposed to tighten until the tool butts up to the front cover.

The first problem it that was it was very tight and difficult to take off the tool so I was worried and panicked. When I finally got the tool off it appears the seal is pushed in too much and I don't remember how far it was in originally.

Here is the front side and somehow I thought maybe it should be at the edge where the taper levels off.

Here is the back side installed and flush with the cover.

So it seems okay and maybe I did this right. My only reason for second guessing is because the tool was very difficult to get off like I pressed it on too much. I usually take good photos of everything before taking off anything but did not in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 07-15-2010 at 01:14 PM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Question about installing front cover seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Why would you use the Kent Moore tool since your cover is NOT installed?

Would not a short pipe the outside diameter of which is a few thou sands inch less than the inside diameter of the hole in the cover work. Tapping the seal in by tapping on the pipe. Which would work also installing seal (cover in place) as long as inside diameter of pipe is larger than outside diameter of crankshaft (and longer than crankshaft sticks out from front of engine)
Just guessing.....

I am just guessing AGAIN but the seal would be best installed flush with where the bevel begins (move it out about 1/4 inch). That way you would not have so much of a place for oil and dirt to collect

Like I said, it was installed (not fully) and mocked up. I had my reasons and not going into detail. Yes, it was removed in the photo. Like I said, I am looking for someone that might have theirs off to see where it supposed to be then I will know if I have to move it back out and would probably have to just put another new one in if so. I know Lee's assembly thread shows a picture but a little blurry, but it appears to be the same location so just trying to confirm with someone that actually has experience doing this.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010   #3
tpepmeie

Looks like you've got it right. I also replaced mine, but with the cover off the engine. I measured the depth before removing the old one, and it appears very similar to yours. I did not use the tool, just a piece of PVC pipe the correct OD.

TOdd
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #4
Jagdpanzer

Craig,
Here is the seal as it was installed at the factory in front cover of my 94 LT5 project motor. As you can see it was installed to about 2 mm from the back side edge of the seal bore.

Phil

Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
Looks like you've got it right. I also replaced mine, but with the cover off the engine. I measured the depth before removing the old one, and it appears very similar to yours. I did not use the tool, just a piece of PVC pipe the correct OD.

TOdd
Todd,

Thanks for confirming; I appreciate the post. Good deal about using the PVC pipe and could have saved me some $.

Craig

Old 07-15-2010   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Craig,
Here is the seal as it was installed at the factory in front cover of my 94 LT5 project motor. As you can see it was installed to about 2 mm from the back side edge of the seal bore.

Phil

Phil,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for going out of your way to post pics for me. I'm good to go then and just getting paranoid as I get close to completing this. I really appreciate it.

Craig

Old 07-15-2010   #7
carter200

Craig,
You did good

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*