ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-27-2014   #1
Fully Vetted

Default Main Door weatherstrip - ZR-1 specific?

So, I decided to tackle the weatherstrip project over the weekend and between me, Keen Parts and Corvette-Rubber we are trying to figure out if the main door seal that goes around the bottom of the door is ZR-1 specific. None of the suppliers (including Corvette Rubber) have a ZR-1 specific part number but it is clearly a couple of inches shorter than the one that came off and if I'm not mistaken with the ZR-1 being wider the doors are also a tad bit longer which would make the standard C4 weatherstrip too short. Now, I know that a 20 year old mounted seal is going to be longer than a brand new one but look what happened when I went to attach it:

The end popped right off. And this is the good Latex product. Not the cheap stuff.

The distance between the top of the weatherstrip where you attach it with screws and the first clip is not even close to the same:

I verified with Chris over at Keen that this was the correct part number first and now he is talking to his suppliers about a ZR-1 specific part number but I thought I would post here and see if you guys have had the same issue.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Main Door weatherstrip - ZR-1 specific?

nope, I used OEM Door Weatherstripping and it was the same, ZR-1 and narrow body..

the aftermarket stuff I used on my 89 was not very good and ripped like what you are seeing and that was a normal C4
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #3
Fully Vetted

Maybe this piece was just defective. But 3/4 of an inch is quite a ways to ask this thing to stretch without splitting or breaking.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Old 05-27-2014   #4
Z51JEFF

I dont know if the doors are longer or not but I do know the outside door trim is the same as a base C4.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #5
Fully Vetted

I would almost bet my life on hearing Dave McLellan talk about the ZR-1 doors having to be just a touch longer due to the extra width. Or maybe I read it in his book. But, if that was the case there would be a specific part number for the ZR-1. Anyway, moot point. No one else has issues with the standard WS so I have to figure out why I did. Maybe it was a mispackaged item or something.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Old 05-27-2014   #6
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I would almost bet my life on hearing Dave McLellan talk about the ZR-1 doors having to be just a touch longer due to the extra width. Or maybe I read it in his book. But, if that was the case there would be a specific part number for the ZR-1. Anyway, moot point. No one else has issues with the standard WS so I have to figure out why I did. Maybe it was a mispackaged item or something.
Ive compared a base trim piece to a ZR-1 piece that came off my car and they were the exact same length.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #7
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
Doors are the same Length, ZR-1 door is a little wider. Think of it like this, If you door was 3/4 of an inch longer your targa top would have to be 3/4 of an inch longer as well

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014   #8
phrogs

I always try to use gm weather strip the aftermarket is junk. I ordered complete set of gm weather strip for my ZR-1 the part number is the same regardless ZR-1 or base.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014   #9
nelson007

Is there one GM # for the complete set weather strip for the car?
If so do you know the number?
Thanks,
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
I always try to use gm weather strip the aftermarket is junk. I ordered complete set of gm weather strip for my ZR-1 the part number is the same regardless ZR-1 or base.

1993 #124 Ruby
1994 #??? Red/Black
1995 #061 Black/Red
2012 ZR1 Preproduction
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote