ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2014   #1
Roadster

Default Did I have a hard time replacing the slave cylinder or what!!!!

After reading all of the info on the slave cylinder, I notice mine was leaking. I am assuming that these are original parts, as I don't have many records to check. So not to keep the Z out of commision any longer than needed, I purchased a rebuilt original slave and an aftermarket clutch master cylinder. I plan on sending the originals out to be rebuilt, but there may be one complication.
I know many of you have mentioned how difficult it was to undo the the pressure line from the slave. Well let me tell you that my friend Chris (a true VW guy, but now also into Corvettes.....) and I could not get the line loose no matter what we tried, and we were trying everything, it would not budge at all. To make a long story short, we had already removed the slave and finally used a Dremel to cut the fitting to remove the line. It worked, but the fitting also broke off the slave.
New parts went in fine, and we proceeded to bleed the system. Took us a while as the slave was not pre bled. Clutch pedal felt non-exsistent at first, but after we got the slave filled and the air out, pedal feels real good. Went for a ride, shifting smooth as ever, and no leaks.......what a job.

On a side note, I continue to find different marking on my Z, the latest being on the lower left side of the trans. This was marked with a blue marker.....
628-BC-4-25 anyone else have similar markings on the trans, or does anyone know what this represents???? thanks for any info.......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #2
8cam

Default Re: Did I have a hard time replacing the slave cylinder or what!!!!

Glad you got it done, sounds like a real bear. I was able to break mine loose, but it was definitely tight and I now have a scar on the back of my hand to remind me about it. I used a tip from Jim Jandik to unclip the hard line from the side of the trans first, then unbolt the slave. That gave a lot of slack to the slave so I could rotate it and pull it down quite a ways. That let me get a flare wrench on the fitting. Then I used a big set of channel locks to hold the slave itself and pulled like hell on the flare...resulting in a beaut of a scar when it broke free!

With the new slave, the car is just a teddy bear to drive now. Consistent, smooth, forgiving engagement. My 17 year old daughter says it's easier to drive than my old M3.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #3
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
Glad you got it done, sounds like a real bear. I was able to break mine loose, but it was definitely tight and I now have a scar on the back of my hand to remind me about it. I used a tip from Jim Jandik to unclip the hard line from the side of the trans first, then unbolt the slave. That gave a lot of slack to the slave so I could rotate it and pull it down quite a ways. That let me get a flare wrench on the fitting. Then I used a big set of channel locks to hold the slave itself and pulled like hell on the flare...resulting in a beaut of a scar when it broke free!

With the new slave, the car is just a teddy bear to drive now. Consistent, smooth, forgiving engagement. My 17 year old daughter says it's easier to drive than my old M3.
Mark, thanks, glad I got it done also.... We did everything you did and more....and it was a double bear to remove, we even attached clamps and a bar to the sleeve or get opposite pressure going. As mentioned above we had to cut through the fitting after it broke off, thankfully the threads and flare end was not damaged on the pressure line. So it all worked out.
Just checked the fluid last night, and it is at the correct level, but it already is a darker shade than what we put in the other day.
Original units (I think) should be delivered to Jim today for rebuilding for future use (by the time my grandsons get the Z) hopefully Jim will be able to attach another fitting to the slave, if not, no biggie.
And yes, smoother shifting and very easy clutch feel, a real pleasure to drive. It was a job to reckon with, that is for sure......at least that job is behind the two of us for many thousands of miles ahead. All other jobs should now be a piece of cake!!!

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-30-2014   #4
Locobob

I just noticed my clutch fluid reservoir was dry again grrrr. I've replaced the slave twice and the master and hose assembly once already. I suspect its the slave again. Where can I find clutch hydraulic components that aren't junk? Tired of fixing the same stuff over and over again.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
I just noticed my clutch fluid reservoir was dry again grrrr. I've replaced the slave twice and the master and hose assembly once already. I suspect its the slave again. Where can I find clutch hydraulic components that aren't junk? Tired of fixing the same stuff over and over again.
Jerry's Clutch Master and Clutch Slave are purty good

Getting the Air Out of the Clutch Hydraulics TIPS

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-30-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #6
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Jerry's Clutch Master and Clutch Slave are purty good

Getting the Air Out of the Clutch Hydraulics TIPS
Purty good or I won't have to fix it again good?
The last two slaves I had were both steel types, I hear some of them now have cast iron bodies. I want the best quality, tired of having issues.

Old 05-31-2014   #7
Dynomite

Quote:
Purty good or I won't have to fix it again good?
The last two slaves I had were both steel types, I hear some of them now have cast iron bodies. I want the best quality, tired of having issues.
Have not had Master and Slave in long enough to know.....it was easy getting both master and slave installed and the slave has the bleeder on the bottom which worked fine even though it was on the bottom
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #8
Roadster

Getting the slave out wasn't bad, getting it disconnected was.....it was the original unit. Jim received it on Thursday and said it was toast because of the broken off fitting. Everything went back in with no problem. We did not use the blender at anytime. It took us about 20 to 25 to fill and get all of the air out. And no leaks...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-31-2014   #9
Locobob

I think I've heard of Jim Jandik before, is he rebuilding clutch hydraulics? I thought I read somewhere that they couldn't be rebuilt?

Old 05-31-2014   #10
Roadster

Quote:
I think I've heard of Jim Jandik before, is he rebuilding clutch hydraulics? I thought I read somewhere that they couldn't be rebuilt?
Robert, yes they can be rebuilt as per Jim. His NOS supply is gone, and he is looking into making his own to put on the market. He needs to figure out one more process before he can do that. Great guy to talk to, very knowledge as are many others here on the forum and suppliers.
As I mentioned my slave is toast, but my clutch master should have no problem getting rebuilt, waiting for his reply after he checks it out.
I ended finding on ebay a rebuilt original (claimed by the seller with great feedback, and possibly rebuilt by Jim) and got a Wagner brand clutch master (now made in China), which I wasn't to happy about, but I had them both here by last Saturday, so there wasn't any down time with the Z, other than replacing the said units. So far, working good, only time will tell.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member