ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-05-2018   #1
emmvette

Default Borla Resonator and Resonance

My car has the Borla exhaust system which was installed by LPE in 1997. At the same time LPE installed custom fabricated headers. Cats were removed this past year.

The car is fine for spirited driving, but with a 2+ hour drive results in a headache from drone. When I tap on the resonator; it sounds like an empty tin can. Is this normal, or is there some baffling missing or burned out?

Does anybody know if the Borla resonator had baffling or if it was just slotted pipes on the interior? I'm wondering if mine is "worn out" or needs to be replaced to cut down on the drone at highway cruising speeds.

Let me know of any thoughts. Borla doesn't make the resonator anymore and I don't see any replacements with the same pipe centerlines. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-05-2018   #2
Gunny

Default Re: Borla Resonator and Resonance

On my '90 I've run both the 2.5 Borla and the larger Borla Challenger with & without headers and with & without cats. Some drone was always there regardless of the setup and, like you, bothered me only on trips. My solution was to drop to 5th unless I could get above 2K rpm in 6th. I experimented with a temporary solution by blocking off one tip on each muffler and this did eliminate the drone. I never did figure out how to install a flapper in one of the tips on each side as many have done with other setups. My ultimate solution was to install a stock LT4 system behind the SW headers and install QTP electric cutouts at the entrance side of each muffler. The result - no drone with cutouts closed or even partially open; with the cutouts totally open I'm running an open exhaust w/headers (the LT4 resonator is not restrictive at all) - the sound is awesome and there is plenty of drone, but open cutouts are not for interstate cruising anyway.

Good luck on finding a solution - Borlas are great sounding but there is always some drone at certain RPMs.
Founding Member #14
www.zrwon.com
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018   #3
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
On my '90 I've run both the 2.5 Borla and the larger Borla Challenger with & without headers and with & without cats. Some drone was always there regardless of the setup and, like you, bothered me only on trips. My solution was to drop to 5th unless I could get above 2K rpm in 6th. I experimented with a temporary solution by blocking off one tip on each muffler and this did eliminate the drone. I never did figure out how to install a flapper in one of the tips on each side as many have done with other setups. My ultimate solution was to install a stock LT4 system behind the SW headers and install QTP electric cutouts at the entrance side of each muffler. The result - no drone with cutouts closed or even partially open; with the cutouts totally open I'm running an open exhaust w/headers (the LT4 resonator is not restrictive at all) - the sound is awesome and there is plenty of drone, but open cutouts are not for interstate cruising anyway.

Good luck on finding a solution - Borlas are great sounding but there is always some drone at certain RPMs.
I did the same thing as George on my '95--no cats, full '95 stock cat back with cutouts in front of the rear mufflers. No drone with the cutouts closed; can't tell with them open. The Corsa system also has no drone. The early Borlas, Power Effects, Desert Development and others had a lot of drone because none but the stock and Corsa systems had the requisite Helmholtz resonators to attenuate the two frequencies that cause the drone at 1800 and 3400 rpms. Not familiar with current systems. After years with loud exhausts (mostly corsas but others too) I was happy to have the no-drone stock system with the option to go full open exhaust with the cutouts.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018   #4
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I did the same thing as George on my '95--no cats, full '95 stock cat back with cutouts in front of the rear mufflers. No drone with the cutouts closed; can't tell with them open. The Corsa system also has no drone. The early Borlas, Power Effects, Desert Development and others had a lot of drone because none but the stock and Corsa systems had the requisite Helmholtz resonators to attenuate the two frequencies that cause the drone at 1800 and 3400 rpms. Not familiar with current systems. After years with loud exhausts (mostly corsas but others too) I was happy to have the no-drone stock system with the option to go full open exhaust with the cutouts.--Bob

Bob,
You have made one of the best systems available.
Great job!
You are also spot on regarding the effectiveness of the Helmholtz technology.
I believe Billy Boat ( B&B ) uses that same technology in their Fusion Exhaust Systems, which also incorporates the special " Warp Ten Technology " of the Dual Modes.
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018   #5
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Bob,
You have made one of the best systems available.
Great job!
You are also spot on regarding the effectiveness of the Helmholtz technology.
I believe Billy Boat ( B&B ) uses that same technology in their Fusion Exhaust Systems, which also incorporates the special " Warp Ten Technology " of the Dual Modes.
Marty
Thanks Marty--I did like it. There are quite a few days when I wish I hadn't sold the '95. Oh well. The Z06 is a lot of fun....Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018   #6
RussMcB

IIRC, the Borla resonator is pretty restrictive, so maybe replace it with something that might be better for drone and kill two birds?
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018   #7
emmvette

Thanks for some of the suggestions. Does anybody know if the Borla resonator is supposed to have any baffling inside or is it just a metal can?
What I'm trying to figure out is if my Borla resonator is toast (baffling burn out) or was is just fabricated metal and is probably the same as it's always been.
Old 04-08-2018   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
Thanks for some of the suggestions. Does anybody know if the Borla resonator is supposed to have any baffling inside or is it just a metal can?
What I'm trying to figure out is if my Borla resonator is toast (baffling burn out) or was is just fabricated metal and is probably the same as it's always been.
It did have very little baffling but the system was always loud reguardless if it was just installed New or had been on the car a long time. Resonance was always a problem with the Borla system. It does not have substrate honeycomb ceramic like the cats have or a material internally that breaks down over time. So your options are somewhat limited unless you want to replace the whole system. I have a used Corsa 2.5 inch resonator only if you want to try and graft that into your system. PM me if interested
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote