ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-17-2015   #1
5ABI VT

Default Cant stand this dipstick. Any alternatives? screw in or clip on handles available?

Seems like the dipstick handle always is off and doesn't have a positive 'click' in place on the tube. Drives me crazy. Are there any alternatives available? Im debating on sending out my tube and having a new threaded tube and dipstick made so it can be screwed on.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #2
geezer

Default Re: Cant stand this dipstick. Any alternatives? screw in or clip on handles available

cvette98pacecar is looking into Billet handles. See thread in Parts for sale/ wanted.
geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #3
5ABI VT

Default Re: Cant stand this dipstick. Any alternatives? screw in or clip on handles available

That would be nice but would the handle alone have a secure way of staying put ie click, or screwed on the tube? I sent a few emails out to custom makers I might pull my tube and stick and send them out to have it done. Will check out the thread though thanks!
Old 02-17-2015   #4
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Seems like the dipstick handle always is off and doesn't have a positive 'click' in place on the tube. Drives me crazy. Are there any alternatives available? Im debating on sending out my tube and having a new threaded tube and dipstick made so it can be screwed on.
The dipstick handles that are mentioned will not solve your issue as I am thinking that lower part of the dipstick handle is not replaced.....just the plastic part.

You may have too much positive crankcase pressure/blow by. I do not recall a positive click but one way to keep your dipstick in place is to bend the dipstick a bit (about six inches from the end or even near the top) so it keeps itself in place within the dipstick tube. Bending the dipstick does not damage the dipstick as it bends itself as you insert it in the dipstick tube. Just bend the dipstick a bit more near one end or the other until there is enough resistance to keep the dipstick in place.

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-17-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #5
USAZR1

My streetrod and Boss Hoss both had billet Lokar units. Best aftermarket dipsticks I've seen,so far.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #6
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
The dipstick handles that are mentioned will not solve your issue as I am thinking that lower part of the dipstick handle is not replaced.....just the plastic part.

You may have too much positive crankcase pressure/blow by. I do not recall a positive click but one way to keep your dipstick in place is to bend the dipstick a bit (about six inches from the end or even near the top) so it keeps itself in place within the dipstick tube. Bending the dipstick does not damage the dipstick as it bends itself as you insert it in the dipstick tube. Just bend the dipstick a bit more near one end or the other until there is enough resistance to keep the dipstick in place.

Definitly a possibility and I didn't think to bend it duh . It seems though with vibration it would definitely pop off. When I push it on it feels like its already trying to spring off the tube.

Lokar is one I have an order for my billet pan on my other car I may have them do one for the z that will screw on.
Old 02-17-2015   #7
KILLSHOTS

Happens when you add headers, as this repositions the dipstick tube, which is why you have to fab a new bracket (or buy one of Paul's). Mine would click into place but then would always unseat after only a very short drive. Don't know how to fix it, but that's the primary cause. Very frustrating, indeed.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #8
aafc

HI,
I had the same trouble (Jeal Headers) Made a clip that attaches to the
top of dip stick with a small spring fastened to the header bolt. So far it has
not come off. To check oil remove clip check oil return clip to top of dip stick
handle. Sorry i do not have a pic.

1990 white/black # 2546
one of a few auto (4l80E ) eq. ZR-1's
John
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #9
-=Jeff=-

HawaiiZR-1 has a Lokar on his car
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #10
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
My streetrod and Boss Hoss both had billet Lokar units. Best aftermarket dipsticks I've seen,so far.

this!!! I had problems with the c5 dipstick and went to a lokar works fantastic with a bearing collar for a positive retention on the dip stick

only down side is the billet alum knob gets too hot!! not an issue on the lt5 which should be checked after a good drain down and cool anyway

if anyone has the right part number for the lokar on a z it's on my upgrade list!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote