ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-05-2009   #1
aod

Post Hello! New guy here!

Hello. I'm new here and new to ZR-1 ownership. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

I have a red/red 1990 ZR-1. It was my father's and, unfortunately, he passed away earlier this year and he left it to me. It had 6909 miles on it when I got it transported from Arizona to Wisconsin. It had not been started in 11 years. As fate and luck would have it, the new neighbor that just moved in across the street from me owns an auto shop. Cleaned injectors, a nice new set of Eagle F1s, and fluid flushes and changes, she is purring like a kitten. I love this car, everything about it, and the memories it holds for me. I've got a couple of little things that need to be worked out, but nothing major. One of the airbag sensors is either dirty or bad, the passenger headlight won't lock open, it slowly falls back closed when you have the headlights on and it seems there is a limit switch that isn't getting tripped because it runs longer when opening/closing than the driver side light. The coolant temps get hot when sitting still. I have a Ron Davis radiator and a 165 degree thermostat already ordered to go in to remedy that. Other than that the car is in wonderful shape.

She's been begging me for a Corsa exhaust once all the little bugs are worked out.

Last edited by aod; 08-05-2009 at 04:26 PM.
aod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #2
ZR-1nce removed

Default Re: Hello!

Welcome sir! I'm real sorry to hear about how you got your Z but enjoy it just like your dad was still there. I also got a red 90 from my dad who was killed in a motorcycle accident this past April. I hope you enjoy it enough to make dad proud. This is a great place to learn all kinds of stuff about your new toy!

Welcome and God bless,

Darrin
ZR-1nce removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #3
aod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR-1nce removed View Post
Welcome sir! I'm real sorry to hear about how you got your Z but enjoy it just like your dad was still there. I also got a red 90 from my dad who was killed in a motorcycle accident this past April. I hope you enjoy it enough to make dad proud. This is a great place to learn all kinds of stuff about your new toy!

Welcome and God bless,

Darrin
I'm very sorry to hear that Darrin. My condolences. I'm sure you've heard, "I don't know how I'd feel..." from most of your friends and all that. I do know how you feel. Feel free to email or PM me any time if you just want to talk to someone who has gone through the same sort of ordeal. My father's passing wasn't quite as tragic, he was diagnosed with lung cancer in November 2008 and passed away in February of this year. It still doesn't make it easy, that is for sure.
Old 08-05-2009   #4
Z51JEFF

Hi and welcome,the headlight issue is a common one.The bushings for the gears is shot,the fuel injectors will need to be replaced at some point,they will fail,just a matter of time.Any question you have can be answered right here.Alot of knowledge and helpful owners more than willing to help.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #5
aod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Hi and welcome,the headlight issue is a common one.The bushings for the gears is shot,the fuel injectors will need to be replaced at some point,they will fail,just a matter of time.Any question you have can be answered right here.Alot of knowledge and helpful owners more than willing to help.
Thank you Jeff. That's what others have told me is that the injectors will fail. I believe they were all replaced under warranty already once. But, that was before it had sat for 11 years. So far, they seem to be doing really good though.

I've printed out the pictures on how to tear into the motor of the headlight assembly and fix it. Looks like a pretty easy fix.

I guess my only question is, am I doing the right thing by putting in the Ron Davis radiator and the HD165 thermostat that I got from http://www.zr1products.com/? I've got one guy telling me that a thermostat that low coupled with that radiator will never cycle correctly and will fluctuate from closed loop and open loop operation. Now, he works and builds hotrods and race cars, but I don't know exactly how much experience he has with the LT5. The seller of the product assures me that the LT5 runs 15 degrees warmer than what the thermostat opens at, and 180 degrees is ideal. Any guidance on this would be well appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2009   #6
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post
Thank you Jeff. That's what others have told me is that the injectors will fail. I believe they were all replaced under warranty already once. But, that was before it had sat for 11 years. So far, they seem to be doing really good though.

I've printed out the pictures on how to tear into the motor of the headlight assembly and fix it. Looks like a pretty easy fix.

I guess my only question is, am I doing the right thing by putting in the Ron Davis radiator and the HD165 thermostat that I got from http://www.zr1products.com/? I've got one guy telling me that a thermostat that low coupled with that radiator will never cycle correctly and will fluctuate from closed loop and open loop operation. Now, he works and builds hotrods and race cars, but I don't know exactly how much experience he has with the LT5. The seller of the product assures me that the LT5 runs 15 degrees warmer than what the thermostat opens at, and 180 degrees is ideal. Any guidance on this would be well appreciated.

Thanks again!
Welcome new owner!!! Sorry about the circumstances of your ownership of that 90 ZR-1.... Our friend Darrin had something similar happen and it seems like JUST yesterday we were eating Ribs and enjoying an Easter Afternoon together.

Enjoy that car and get that Corsa exhaust!!!!

Regarding your injectors... Likely with the replacement injectors they installed you are "fine", but the stock 90 injectors will wear out due to the ethanol in the new gasoline these day's. Keep driving it (OFTEN) and dont' change it unless you have to.

In reference to the Ron Davis radiator, I have been told to use the stock thermostat.... Check with Jim Voter (I'll send an email) and see what he say's. He installed a Ron Davis and installed a stock thermostat because the upgraded thermostat doesn't "help".

Again Congrats and hope you enjoy that beast!

Cheers!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #7
Gunny

Welcome ...

You've definitely found the best place for ZR-1 help & information. We're glad you're here and that you have a very special car.

Let me also invite you to consider membership in the ZR-1 Net Registry which hosts this forum along with a lot of other good things for ZR-1 owners.

Again, congrats on your "new" car.

George Jones
Founding Member #14
www.zrwon.com
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #8
aod

Thanks David! Shell 93 octane doesn't seem to have ethanol in it out here. At least, not during the months I'll be driving it anyhow. I'll top off the tank and add some heet to it before I store it during the winter. I'll also start it and let it come up to operating temperature once every week or two during the winter as well. I know that isn't the greatest for keeping carbon deposits down, but I think it is better than just letting it sit the whole winter without starting it at all. The carbon will be blown out the first nice day after Winter anyhow.

That's good info about the thermostat. Unfortunately, I've already purchased it. We'll see what happens. Supposedly it is heavy duty so that's what interested me in that particular one.

Oh, and I forgot to mention my name. My name is Dave as well.
Old 08-05-2009   #9
aod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuband View Post
Welcome ...

You've definitely found the best place for ZR-1 help & information. We're glad you're here and that you have a very special car.

Let me also invite you to consider membership in the ZR-1 Net Registry which hosts this forum along with a lot of other good things for ZR-1 owners.

Again, congrats on your "new" car.

George Jones
I will definitely look into becoming a registered member. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Hulloooo! Welcome to the brotherhood of the BEAST! (Shouting out from "down under" (Illinois).) Green Bay is not to far of a drive to come visit the FBI gang (Fast Boyz of Illinoiz) where some of the famous (and infamous too) ZR-1 nutz reside. Would be happy to meet you one day soon!

Sorry 'bout the circumstances - my condolences. But, I'm sure your dad will be smiling to see his pride and joy sitting in his ZR-1!

Great people here, to be sure.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote