ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-30-2009   #1
Scrrem

Default Ucoatit

I am looking to get my garage in order. First thing is to get the floor looking good. Anyone have any recommendations on floor epoxy's. I am looking at the Ucoatit product, the only one I am familar with. I have been reading reviews online and have found reviews very good and very bad. I guess success is all in the prep?
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #2
Hammer

Talking Re: Ucoatit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
I am looking to get my garage in order. First thing is to get the floor looking good. Anyone have any recommendations on floor epoxy's. I am looking at the Ucoatit product, the only one I am familar with. I have been reading reviews online and have found reviews very good and very bad. I guess success is all in the prep?
Rich
Prep and pot time. I did mine with the coating at Home Depot. I let the pot time run out on the first section and its been coming up in pieces for two years now. That's about a third of the garage. The other 2/3rds is holding up great.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #3
ScottZ95ZR1

Default Re: Ucoatit

I just did my second garage using the Quikrete Epoxy available at Lowes.
Agree proper prep is most important. This kit comes with a degreasing/etching liquid mixture that helps alot.
I'm not familiar with the Ucoatit product but would imagine they're all similar.
If you choose to use the clear coat on top of the epoxy you definitely want to use the non-skid powder as it would get very slick when wet.

Good luck !

http://www.quikretecoatings.com/epox...eFloorCoat.jsp
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #4
tccrab

Rustoleum Epoxy Shield:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=16

My painter did my garage two years ago and it still looks new.
I've jacked up my cars, used jackstands, my engine puller, and even rolled around an engine stand with a 350 on it and no cracks or chips.
It's all about the prep work.
My painter abraded the floor with a big floor polisher and huge scotch bright pads. He then stripped it with the acid solution and then abraded it again.
He washed it and then after it was completely dry he applied the color coat. After it dried he applied the sprinkles and the two part epoxy clear coat.
It's dead simple to keep clean. I just fire up the yard blower and blow out any dust, leaves, etc, then damp mop any spots when the wife's car has been in the rain.
TomC
"Crabs"

'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #5
bdw18_123

I see your into the R/C aircraft hobby also, Tom. That's one of my other hobbies, too! Since your in CA too, maybe we'll have to get together and fly sometime (if you don't mind hanging out with a 29 year-old ).

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)

Last edited by bdw18_123; 07-31-2009 at 06:06 PM.
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #6
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdw18_123 View Post
I see your into the R/C aircraft hobby also, Tom. That's one of my other hobbies, too! Since your in CA too, maybe we'll have to get together and fly sometime (if you don't mind hanging out with a 29 year-old ).
I use to fly R/C back in 1970-1973. Back then top remotes were Kraft, Orbit (they were big with single stick 4+ channel) and EK Logic. Futaba was gaining in the market with the lowest price. I had a Kraft 5 channel open gimble and had the first plane (modified Taurus to look like Intruder stunt ship) w/ retractable landing gear in Korea. Ran OS Max 58 w/ muffler.

Didn't mean to steal the thread....
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #7
ZR1Vette

Almost exactly 5 years ago when I renovated my garage I had the UCoatit system installed. Yes prep is EVERYTHING... no oil/silicone residue and must pass the plastic bag moisture test (tape down large plastic bag [yard waste size] thoroughly so edges are sealed to the floor with tape. Leave for about 5 days and then remove...if moisture has collected on the underside of the bag then you might have a problem with a painted floor system) and acid etch the floor thoroughly.

I used the 3 coat system...two color coats with grit and flex and then a clear epoxy final coat.

Here is the floor 5 years ago new:

Today my son came by to pick up the scissor lift (replacing with a 4 post lift in about 2 weeks) so had a chance to clean floor up bit...the area just in camera front of the MINI is where the lift resided...

Floor has remained very nice and just this year there are a few small areas where some of the UCoatit has released.....

I am not going to worry about these areas yet since this is where the 4 post lift will be installed. Areas like this can be repaired (sand and repaint/seal).

A couple cons on the UCoatit system... it is not cheap (ran about $575 for materials only for my garage) and if I had it to do over again I would leave the grit out.

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #8
Scrrem

Thanks Michael...I'll check out your floor when I come over for lift installation day I really screwed up..I should have done the floor right after we built the garage. It's amazing how much crap you pile into one garage in 10 short years. Yeah, I have been doing a bunch of reading online and no one seems to like the grit so I will leave it out.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #9
HIZNHRZ

Why would you leave the grit out?
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #10
ZR1Vette

Grit really is not that effective and does wonders on clothing (think working on your knees or back and a sand paper effect) and also makes cleaning the floor more difficult (again think sand paper)

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote