ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-14-2015   #1
XfireZ51

Default Castrol GTX TWS trans fluid

This week I started my new position as Accessory Sales Manager for BMWNA- Central Region. I bring this up because many of us use the CASTROL TWS Trans fluid available only from BMW dealers. During my visit to BMWNA HQ in Woodcliff Lake I found out that TWS is being replaced by a BMW branded TF.
So Castrol TWS will no longer be available at BMW dealers. Better go out and buy it while you can.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 08-14-2015 at 11:12 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Castrol GTX TWS trans fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
This week I started my new position as Accessory Sales Manager for BMWNA- Central Region. I bring this up because many of us use the CASTROL TWS Trans fluid available only from BMW dealers. During my visit to BMWNA HQ in Woodcliff Lake I found out that TWS is being replaced by a BMW branded TF.
So Castrol TWS will no longer be available at BMW dealers. Better go out and buy it while you can.
I am assuming BMW Branded TF is NOT the same as Castrol TWS?
I am further assuming BMW Branded TF Should NOT be used in the ZF S6-40 Transmission?
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #3
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I am assuming BMW Branded TF is NOT the same as Castrol TWS?
I am further assuming BMW Branded TF Should NOT be used in the ZF S6-40 Transmission?
Actually BMW is recommending their private label in place of the Castrol for their ZFs. I asked that specific question.
Old 08-15-2015   #4
Z51JEFF

I found this out about 2 weeks ago. I was abl to find it at the parts store. What I bought was CASTROL 10-60. Hope this was the right stuff.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #5
nelson007

How many quarts does are transmission take?
Thanks,
Neldon

1993 #124 Ruby
1994 #??? Red/Black
1995 #061 Black/Red
2012 ZR1 Preproduction
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #6
WVZR-1

Quote:
Actually BMW is recommending their private label in place of the Castrol for their ZFs. I asked that specific question.
Well the MT lubrication requirements and recommendations actually vary widely and when they told you "private label" that could actually be one of a choice depending on the particular model of MT is discussed. There's a wide range of suggested lubricants and I believe there are actually maybe BMW TSB's that might mention Redline MTL. Mobil 1 is actually discussed frequently when BMW MT are discussed. Esso/Exxon more frequently depending on the market you're in.

Every car maker suggests their private label product if they have one packaged "for them" under a contract.

You visit a BMW dealer and ask for a transmission service without knowing the color of the tag on the transmission they may actually not discus it any further.

I use the AMSOIL lubrication guide BUT not their product. I use the guide for everything and it's proven to be quite reliable. I just randomly selected a 2001 MY and did a random M5 and Z3 application and the only recommended product is the OE and you'll see some notes that are worth investigating. I kept and still keep a Castrol guide (paper) from a distributor but when the AMSOIL became available on the I-net and I confirmed a match to maybe 15 - 20 cars I started to use it exclusively - never their product.

If you do your own services regardless of the make/model/year the guide works well and you certainly don't need to use their product. All the OE specs are there and it's sometimes interesting to see where they decline to publish a product of their own. The '01 Z and M5 are a good example and were my first 2 picks.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookuppage.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson007 View Post
Thanks,
Neldon
Test the guide.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-15-2015 at 11:43 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #7
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson007 View Post
Thanks,
Neldon
A little more than 2 quarts.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #8
nelson007

Thanks Jeff

Nelson

1993 #124 Ruby
1994 #??? Red/Black
1995 #061 Black/Red
2012 ZR1 Preproduction
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015   #9
XfireZ51

WV,

Of course not all BMW dealers will be using the BMW brand. Recommended but BMW can't force them to use it if there is a suitable sub. For me, I'll try to buy some additional TWS when I can find it. Since I'll be visiting quite a few centers in my travel, that shouldn't be too hard. What I don't know is whether Castrol will continue bringing the TWS into the U.S. as it seemed to be only carried by BMW dealers.
Old 08-16-2015   #10
WVZR-1

Quote:
WV,

Of course not all BMW dealers will be using the BMW brand. Recommended but BMW can't force them to use it if there is a suitable sub. For me, I'll try to buy some additional TWS when I can find it. Since I'll be visiting quite a few centers in my travel, that shouldn't be too hard. What I don't know is whether Castrol will continue bringing the TWS into the U.S. as it seemed to be only carried by BMW dealers.
That's not really my thoughts regarding the branding of the product. Nearly every manufacturer is offering "lifetime" services included, 100,000 mile free lubrications and on and on. Since the manufacturer is going to be left "holding the bag" for failures and warranty repairs they need to assure themselves of a couple things, first a quality product is used and second to "profit" from and control the distribution of the same. There is likely no other reason.

Now for "house" open used car sales with the extended, not "certified" sales they may very well have "house" oil.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote