ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-17-2014   #1
We Gone

Default Fuel Tank Pressure

Just a quick ? On removal of the fuel cap on the 93 I get a lot of pressure release. Normal? I ask as I get very little on the 91. Do I have an issue with the evap system? Would to much pressure cause a rich idle?

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2
mike100

Default Re: Fuel Tank Pressure

It only takes about 3-4 seconds to vent the fuel tank pressure through the purge solenoid so it won't enrichen the idle for all practical purposes. If you still have a stock exhaust, you can sometimes hear the hiss if things are just right.

I would have to review info in the FSM, but I don't think the purge lasts very long, just during the engine start-up to suck the vapors out of the charcoal canister and the top of the tank. I think it may turn on during lean cruise- or maybe a small duty cycle on/off as a controlled vacuum leak, but I can't say for sure on the obd1 GM cars, but some of the emissions stuff is pretty interesting.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #3
We Gone

When I remove to fuel cap regardless of fuel level after a drive I get a noticeable whoosh of air. Just want to be sure the system is working properly.

1990 Red/Red #1473
Old 04-17-2014   #4
fletchusmc

My 95 has a lot of pressure as well when I remove the fuel cap, interested to see if this means anything?
fletchusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #5
scottfab

only thing I could find on gas cap pressure testing wast this from the EPA. It seems to allow for a certain amount of leakage.

Are people seeing a true pressure build up OR a vacuum build up?

Gas Cap Test
(1) Cap Installation. The fuel cap, or caps, shall be removed from the fuel inlet(s) and installed on
a portable or bench test rig using the adapter appropriate for the gas cap as specified in
§85.2227(d)(1)(ii).
(2) Leak Measurement. The gas cap leak rate shall be measured and compared against a 60 cc/min
at 30 in. WC flow standard. Pressure decay measurement using instruments with a 1 liter head
space shall be made from an initial pressure of 28 in. WC and be compared against a loss of 6
in. WC in 10 seconds.
(3) Cap Replacement. The fuel cap(s) shall be replaced on the fuel inlet and tightened
appropriately.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #6
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
only thing I could find on gas cap pressure testing wast this from the EPA. It seems to allow for a certain amount of leakage.

That is a good question Scott,

Found the same info. There are a few posts over on the other site but no definitive answer.

1990 Red/Red #1473
Old 04-17-2014   #7
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post

Gas Cap Test
(1) Cap Installation. The fuel cap, or caps, shall be removed from the fuel inlet(s) and installed on
a portable or bench test rig using the adapter appropriate for the gas cap as specified in
§85.2227(d)(1)(ii).
(2) Leak Measurement. The gas cap leak rate shall be measured and compared against a 60 cc/min
at 30 in. WC flow standard. Pressure decay measurement using instruments with a 1 liter head
space shall be made from an initial pressure of 28 in. WC and be compared against a loss of 6
in. WC in 10 seconds.
(3) Cap Replacement. The fuel cap(s) shall be replaced on the fuel inlet and tightened
appropriately.
Anytime I have my front end up on ramps, and air temp increases 15' - 20' F, I start smelling strong gas near cannister while wrenching. I go to the back, loosen the cap, and A LOT of vapors release.

Makes me think that tank angle, and gaseous pressure increase, forces fuel through the EVAP line, instead of just vapors... (I keep the tank full too).

On LT1 top end rebuild, I was greeted on second day by steady drip of fuel from disconnected lines, whereas it was NOT dripping shortly after dis-connecting the first day.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 04-17-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #8
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
It only takes about 3-4 seconds to vent the fuel tank pressure through the purge solenoid so it won't enrichen the idle for all practical purposes. If you still have a stock exhaust, you can sometimes hear the hiss if things are just right.

I would have to review info in the FSM, but I don't think the purge lasts very long, just during the engine start-up to suck the vapors out of the charcoal canister and the top of the tank. I think it may turn on during lean cruise- or maybe a small duty cycle on/off as a controlled vacuum leak, but I can't say for sure on the obd1 GM cars, but some of the emissions stuff is pretty interesting.
3 - 4 seconds...

What if the purge of vapors was CONTINOUS?

That's something I always thought on, when I spent $300.00+ / day, keeping a small delivery fleet rolling (@ $1.79 / gal).

One night, I was talking about that with the Ops Manager, when the line hauler was late. He told a story about a friend who devised something like that with a carb'ed car late '70's, who then submitted it to one of the big 3.

He said shortly afterward, his friend disappeared. He said he got a letter from his friend several years later, from Canada, who was doing 'very well', after signing something, and then getting a big check...

Only some safety mechanism is necessary, to prevent a mis-fire from lighting up the tank...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2014   #9
mike100

^^^ yes...and the carburetor that gets 100 mpg...

c'mon- think about it...if the car gets additional gas from the vent, the closed loop control will just lean out the fuel injection achieving stoich fuel mixture either way.

As far as the tank vapor vent...back in the old days it either went to the atmosphere or into your oil before they had PCV valves.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #10
Schrade

Layered fuel charge (called something, that I can't remember ATM) is old tech Mike; for cruising, air-to-fuel mix in EXCESS of 60:1 is possible.

Only NOx's in excess of EPA limits is preventing this now in 'rice' mills...

ed.:
It's called Stratified / Direct Injection (and that's still liquid-phase, not vapor-phase); no longer only in theory, but in practice, in some applications, that I cannot recall ATM here...

Last edited by Schrade; 04-17-2014 at 06:09 PM.