ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Wharton

Default Camshaft cover

I am looking for a proceedure to remove the camshaft cover to inspect the camshafts and valve train. I am not sure what is under it and I am a bit reluctant to open it without some confirmation of what has to be done. After a rallye this weekend there is some metallic rattling in the area and I'm not sure what is causing it. At first it sounded like lifter knock, until the hood was opened and then became very loud. The oil is at the correct level and pressure is up. Seems to run fine except for the rattle.
If anyone has something simple let me know
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Tim555

Default Re: Camshaft cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
I am looking for a proceedure to remove the camshaft cover to inspect the camshafts and valve train. I am not sure what is under it and I am a bit reluctant to open it without some confirmation of what has to be done. After a rallye this weekend there is some metallic rattling in the area and I'm not sure what is causing it. At first it sounded like lifter knock, until the hood was opened and then became very loud. The oil is at the correct level and pressure is up. Seems to run fine except for the rattle.
If anyone has something simple let me know
Mine developed a rattle in the top end. It sounded like a lifter. I shut the car off and left it for a day. The next day I pulled plugs and inspected the cylinders. No issues so I started it and the noise was quieter. A few more on-off cycles and the sound went away. It existed for maybe 15 mins of runtime. I did find metal in my oil and decided to pull the cam covers. I got the pass side one off and found nothing. I have one very stuck bolt on the drivers side, which is where the sound is. It isn?t fun when the stuck bolt is blocked by the brake booster, which I loosened from under the dash. Do you have any videos of your noise ?
Tim555 is offline   Reply With Quote