ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-24-2012   #1
sammy

Default ah heck , my ignition lock wont turn

i am stuck in the hospital and a friend who was coming to pick my up says when he goes to start the car the key switch wont turn . he tried turning the wheel a little to see if it would release but no go what is happening ? anyone had this problem ??
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #2
Tyler Townsley

Default Re: ah heck , my ignition lock wont turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
i am stuck in the hospital and a friend who was coming to pick my up says when he goes to start the car the key switch wont turn . he tried turning the wheel a little to see if it would release but no go what is happening ? anyone had this problem ??
The pin is probably worn. Mine does it and if you hold your mouth just right it will turn, got a new switch laying on my desk waiting for time to replace it. It takes patience and fiddiling.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #3
sammy

do you mean the pins in the lock that the key works on ? could one just remove the lock and have it repined ?
Old 07-24-2012   #4
Tyler Townsley

You need to replace this. The mechanism that the key turns,
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...-140-1033.html

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #5
scottfab

Try tilting the wheel all the way down then turn the wheel left and right over and over as you try to turn the key.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #6
WVZR-1

He understands the mechanics of the lock cylinder in an M6 column to get it to the lock position?

You can try the recommended going through the various tilt locations but you ultimately will need to go here for the fix. The rack that moves the ignition switch bottom of the column, the nylon sector gear that rotates on the end of the cylinder that actuates the rack/rod and ignition switch.

Here's the fix likely or possibly the cylinder as Tyler mentioned.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...content=value4
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #7
sammy

so it may not be the switch at all it may be other stuff in the column . is there any place that can rebuild the column that i can send it to.i dont think i can do this myself .
Old 07-25-2012   #8
WVZR-1

I would think the repair could certainly be accomplished locally. Neither of the repair procedures are Corvette "specialty" operations. They're everyday Saginaw steering column procedures. Parts are certainly local, you need to make sure the ignition cylinder purchase is for an M6 column.

A second thought here and I don't know why it might not be a "wise" first attempt. Spray the cylinder with electrical contact cleaner and insert the key a few times and push the detent for the rotate to lock release. You might have just a tumbler or two that are sticking. DO NOT USE WD40 or a lubricant like it, stick to just spray electrical contact cleaner! If it works you might consider maybe some graphite lock cylinder lube after the fact. If you've a second key try it!

You also asked about "re-pinning" earlier, I missed that. Yes you could I suppose re-pin the cylinder or disassemble it for a good cleaning but I've never had an M6 cylinder apart. It I would think take a capable lock smith to accomplish that one. The basic cylinder isn't an issue but the M6 I just don't know.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-25-2012 at 07:24 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #9
sammy

thankyou for your thoughts , i needed that it has been a tough year form me in many ways. i will get back on that train and try to get it fixed . i almost was going to give up the ghost and go buy a new mustang trade the zr1 in and be done with it . but i am going to give her one more try . heck i have rebuilt almost everything in her in the last year , tranny,rear end , clutch, suspension , why give up now when she is almost done . thanx for the comment , it took the emotion out of it and helped me to see the light at the end of the tunnel .i know i can do this if i just take my time . thankyou
Old 07-25-2012   #10
mike100

If you just need a lock cylinder, you can get to it in less than an hour in-car with the steering wheel and turn signal removal process.

If it is an uglier situation or you need to fix up your tilt housing wobble, you might be better off taking the column out and working on a bench. You can totally get it rebuilt outside much easier. It is still a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but if you have ever seen these apart before, repaired turn signal switches etc, with the help of the manual and good documentation on the internet, you should be able to get it done if you budget a couple of days to do it.

I would suggest hiring a little help to get it out of the car,plus a helper makes it easier to reinstall. I did it all myself by being clever, but putting it back in is the trickier part.

I don't blame you on the Mustang thoughts either. I replaced that little white VW I had with one- screw mpgs..life is too short to drive dull cars.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote