ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-01-2009   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default I think the price for Vettes just doubled!

Or, at least went up on the "futures" market! Any thoughts on that? Someone has a crystal ball they care to gaze into and tell us what's in the future for the Vette?

Course, the Brotherhood of the Beast has had to deal with no factory support for some time now, so nuttin' new here. But, those 09 ZR1s n C6 Z06s now...I recon they will be a bit rich for my blood for a looooong time!

What say U?

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: I think the price for Vettes just doubled!

It just seems logical that if the CAFE requirements remain that the vettes will have a gas guzzler tax across the entire line up? I wonder how that fits in with the new corporate thinking of all fuel efficient cars?

I fear that the car guys inside GM will be out voted. I doubt that they can defend the resources needed by a corvette's development versus the return on those expenditures. I doubt that anyone would listen to the valid explanation of technology leadership and trickle down application to the rest of the product lines? I fear that the answer to those guys would be "just do it in a Cobalt, who needs the corvette for that???"

Some one, maybe SecondChance said it, "we have witnessed the second passing of the high performance age"......
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #3
secondchance

Well... It is tough to defend existence of high performance as our generation, here in the US, grew up to accept and understand. We are running out of oil. And as China and India become relatively more prosperous they will desire our idea of "better life" - automobiles!
Last year a news report said that in the US per 1000 population of driving age we have 1025 or so vehicles. Same figure for Europe and Japan was around 750. As for India and China was 17 and 4 respectively if my memory serves me correct. Imagine amount of oil we need when China reaches 500 per 1000 level. At roughly 4 times our population, 500 per 1000 represents twice the consumption of US and currently we burn something like 20-25% of world oil consumption.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out vehicles as we know it cannot be supported in next 10-20 years. Also, factor in India and the other side of fuel consumption, namely pollution.
I hate to be pessimistic but this may be it for 3500 lbs, 400 hp, 400 lbs/ft, 20 miles to a gallon, high performance machines we all have fallen in love with growing up in 50s, 60s, 70s and even 80s.
Our kids nay be discussing copper top verses Everlast in performance car forum. Of course, then disposal of used up batteries may be a hot topic.
I, for one, intend to enjoy this while it last. Worst comes to worse, I will dig out my old riding boots, polish it (a lot less to polish than my Z) and find me a fastest thoroughbred and go for a ride.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #4
XfireZ51

If you listened to Fritz Henderson yesterday and President Obama yesterday, the BG plant isn't on the list of plant closings. Most of them are in MI. In the late 60's the Feds started mandating mpg and emissions standards. The 4th and 6th Gen ZR1s are products of those mandates.
Necessity is the mother of invention and sometimes government performs the necessary role of making businesses do things they wouldn't tend to do otherwise. The "adversity" from the government mandates imposed over 40 years ago was responsible for challenging the engineers and designers of the automotive industry to come up with the systems we have today. The C6, or C4 ZR1 for that matter, would not have been possible without the engine and powertrain control systems developed for emissions requirements IMO.
Sometimes business needs a good swift kick in the arse. I don't doubt that we'll see the same thing repeated this time around. I have a lot of faith in the creativity of the people designing, engineering, and building our cars.
Consider it "forced evolution".
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #5
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
find me a fastest thoroughbred and go for a ride.
That's it in a nut shell. It is an era gone by now like the trasition from the horse to the car. We all saw it coming but the sudden onset of this recession/depression kinda pushed it over. Slowly but surely there will be fewer high perf daily drivers. We'll continue to have events and gatherings to show and drive our HP cars but the heyday (second coming of HP cars) is over. It was a GREAT ride and I envy those that hit the peak with the 09 ZR1 !!!

Thing is with BG is this. Ya still have to have a flagship of performance. I just can't see them (GM tobe known as Newgov co.) closing BG.
I just hope it does not mean that the C7 or C8 is a worked over
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Roadster
Well I guess it could be worse. Could be one of these:
Click to see yuk

OH well, I am sure glad I stocked up on spare parts.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #6
FU

LISTEN

After I decide to sell my Vette's is going to be the time that price's will double. Not before or during. After..........

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #7
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2 View Post
LISTEN

After I decide to sell my Vette's is going to be the time that price's will double. Not before or during. After..........

Frank,

Thanks. We'll be keeping an eye on ya!
Old 06-02-2009   #8
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post

Well I guess it could be worse. Could be one of these:
Click to see yuk

OH well, I am sure glad I stocked up on spare parts.
I mean seriously, GM did THAT WITHOUT government help. Can't get much worse IMO.
Old 06-02-2009   #9
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
We are running out of oil. And as China and India become relatively more prosperous they will desire our idea of "better life" - automobiles!
Last year a news report said that in the US per 1000 population of driving age we have 1025 or so vehicles. Same figure for Europe and Japan was around 750. As for India and China was 17 and 4 respectively if my memory serves me correct. Imagine amount of oil we need when China reaches 500 per 1000 level. At roughly 4 times our population, 500 per 1000 represents twice the consumption of US and currently we burn something like 20-25% of world oil consumption.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out vehicles as we know it cannot be supported in next 10-20 years. Also, factor in India and the other side of fuel consumption, namely pollution.
I don't recall the EPA or CAFE as having any control over India or China. New vehicles in the US run extremely clean. The notion of pollution vs CAFE is a non-issue. Nor do I want to go easy on the oil so that there's some left for them. If they really start using it to where supply can't keep up, the price will rise, curbing their demand.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #10
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Necessity is the mother of invention and sometimes government performs the necessary role of making businesses do things they wouldn't tend to do otherwise. The "adversity" from the government mandates imposed over 40 years ago was responsible for challenging the engineers and designers of the automotive industry to come up with the systems we have today. The C6, or C4 ZR1 for that matter, would not have been possible without the engine and powertrain control systems developed for emissions requirements IMO.
Do you recall the time frame between the last "high power" Corvette, and the first C4 ZR-1? It was a pretty long stretch. Fuel injection, computer controls, etc would have come about anyway, regardless of the EPA. The computer revolution wasn't spurred on by CAFE or the EPA. I personally don't look forward to another malaise era while we wait for some technological breakthrough that may or may not happen. Engineers 40 years ago weren't sitting around doing nothing, waiting for the federal government to challenge them.

Also, that statement in your post is sort of comical. Necessity is the mother of invention. So apparently in this case there is no real necessity, which is why the government is inventing it. Should you instead say "Government mandates are the mother of invention"?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote