ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-08-2012   #1
SteelBlueZR1

Default Owning & enjoying your ZR-1 - Speeding Cameras, speed traps, speed enforcement

Has anyone else found that they don't enjoy driving as much anymore, but especially in their ZR-1's, now that we live in a world of constant speed and safety enforcement. On any given day, driving 3 miles to work I pass red light cameras, speed cameras, police speed traps, and poorly timed lights. I have to go out of my way to find certain "special places" to exercise my Z's secondaries, and have lost the enjoyment of driving now that I face constant fines and harassment.

Every Maryland highway has orange barrels/construction and, thus, requisite speeding cameras mounted way up high. Now that tax revenues are down, the state and municipalities have turned to red light and speed cameras to pad their budgets... I for one am ready to go buy a hybrid and just set the cruise at a constant 30mph!

Do my fellow ZR-1 auto enthusiasts feel the pain, or is this just an East Coast thing?
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #2
Kevin

Default Re: Owning & enjoying your ZR-1 - Speeding Cameras, speed traps, speed enforcement

last time I got pulled over, cop got me at 80 in a 45, he let me go with a verbal warning. never seen a speed camera or a red light camera here.
Old 08-08-2012   #3
WARP TEN

Default Re: Owning & enjoying your ZR-1 - Speeding Cameras, speed traps, speed enforcement

Hi Bert--
You should come to Chicago. The city already has lots of red light cameras and is planning a raft of speed cameras around school areas--about 200 of them. But our mayor says its not about the money.
An old comedian named Will Rogers once said, "Whenever someone tells you its the principle not the money.........it's the money." -- Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #4
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Will Rogers once said, "Whenever someone tells you its the principle not the money.........it's the money." -- Bob

Absolutly agree.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #5
SteelBlueZR1

I once went to court on a red light $75 fine, and the judge (based on the statute) told me to pay the $75, since as the owner of the car - I am responsible for it's safe operation, even though my brother-in-law was driving. When I told the judge my bro lived in Israel, he said I have 45 days to make him pay or face loss of my auto registration! Who writes such silly laws?
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #6
mike100

They changed the law in CA so they can't collect commissions on the red light cams- it has to be a fixed price contract per pole. Since people pretty much know where the cams are, the revenue goes way down after they catch a few people initially.

There was also case precedent set in L.A. that a rep from redflex has to appear in court to contest a camera ticket. Some cities are losing their *** on the camera intersections due to fixed price contracts and it is expected many cities will be pulling them shortly.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #7
Daniel_Mc

No cameras here but the local cops have been known to leave a note in my mail box or just call me on my cell to “slow it down”. However most of the cities are going to them I saw an interesting item at SEMA last year it mounts on the right 2 bolts for the license plate and blocks the cameras view of the last number (or two). It is, or was, completely legal at the time. It blocks the last number since all cameras are mounted at 20 degrees from the spot that they are shooting. Not sure how true that was or how well it worked but it was a neat idea.

Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #8
efnfast

I'm still waiting for them to start handing out tickets based on fast you get from toll to toll based on e-z pass time stamps. First time I get a ticket that way will be the last time I use my e-z pass. -Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #9
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
I'm still waiting for them to start handing out tickets based on fast you get from toll to toll based on e-z pass time stamps. First time I get a ticket that way will be the last time I use my e-z pass. -Steve
Wait, I thought when I was in NJ they did that. No?

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #10
DaveK

What's a red light camera?

They started introducing "smart cameras" in England just as I Was leaving. Pass a camera doing a legal speed, nothing. Camera records your licence plate anyway. !0/15/20/30 miles down the road, you pass another cam doing a legal speed. Cam catches your plate and matches to earlier one, maps out the possible routes you might have taken at legal speeds, if you get there before you could have done legally... You get ticketed.

Another take on "Big Brother is Watching".

You guys should all move up here. We even have socialized medicine and disability like you

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driving, maryland, speed cameras