ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-25-2014   #1
randy ransome

Default Removing Transmission

Hey folks, Happy Memorial Day.

I've screwed up my third gear synchronizer, now I need to pull the transmission in my 91 ZR-1.

Looking for encouragement.

I have access to a lift at my brother's shop but he's trying to run a business, I may be in the way there; ideally, if it that's where I need to be, tell me.
I'm also not as young (61) as the last time I pulled one, about 20 years ago.
Now that I'm retired I thought why not, I've got plenty of time, from what I've read it looks fairly simple.

Any tips would be appreciated. If I have to do this at home on jack stands how high does it need to be?

I think a small pump up session from you cats will be just enough to push me into doing this myself.

Thanks also to ALL that have Served to protect this Great Country.

randy ransome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #2
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Default Re: Removing Transmission

Randy,

Here is a link from Zfdoc:

http://www.zfdoc.com/transmission.htm

Great info from Bill Boudreau!

Good luck

Cheers

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #3
pantera1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy ransome View Post
Hey folks, Happy Memorial Day.

I've screwed up my third gear synchronizer, now I need to pull the transmission in my 91 ZR-1.

Looking for encouragement.

I have access to a lift at my brother's shop but he's trying to run a business, I may be in the way there; ideally, if it that's where I need to be, tell me.
I'm also not as young (61) as the last time I pulled one, about 20 years ago.
Now that I'm retired I thought why not, I've got plenty of time, from what I've read it looks fairly simple.

Any tips would be appreciated. If I have to do this at home on jack stands how high does it need to be?

I think a small pump up session from you cats will be just enough to push me into doing this myself.

Thanks also to ALL that have Served to protect this Great Country.

I removed and reinstalled mine a few years ago to change my clutch. As I recall, it was very easy and only took a few hours and that was with me on my back in my driveway. I only needed help from my neighbor to line up the tranny during the installation because that ZF is one heavy tranny. I wish I had had access to a lift, it would have been even easier.
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #4
Demps

Randy,
Pretty straightforward. I'm about to do the same except to ditch the Carolina stage 2 & LT4 pressure plate. You can do it easily. I've only done it on a 4-post with tranny jack--but by myself.

Doing a clutch while you're in there?

TTPs: add beam plates if not already, have some tyranny fluid, don't over tighten trans shaft bolts, check u-joints, remember short shifter while tranny out of car, watch MAP sensor if you tilt engine, align c-beam correctly on reinstall, exhaust clamps don't always appreciate multiple cycles.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #5
Dynomite

I would get a Transmission Jack which makes Transmission removal and installation/alignment a lot easier.

ZR-1 Transmission Install and Lift Tricks

Good time to install C4 Beam Plates

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-25-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #6
tpr60

Did it last weekend on my buds car, I have a two post lift and trans jack makes it a lot easier on a 68 year old. Use your brothers shop you will glad you did.
tpr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014   #7
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr60 View Post
Did it last weekend on my buds car, I have a two post lift and trans jack makes it a lot easier on a 68 year old. Use your brothers shop you will glad you did.
I agree, trans jack and a lift for easy access. That thing is a bear to lift by yourself (160lbs.). Years ago I did it several times on my back with jack stands and hand tools.

While you're in there, it would be smart to take a look at the clutch. Maybe replace the disc if it's worn. Bleed slave cylinder, and replace clutch fluid. That may be part of the reason why your syncro went away in the first place.

At 61', make it as easy as possible on yourself. At 69' I won't be doing it again.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014   #8
ZRXMAX

Since I do it on the floor I use a custom bracket I fabbed up that bolts to an extra floor jack I have. I pull 2 bolts out of the trans that bolt the cases together close to the middle of the trans. Once on the floor jack it balances almost perfectly and makes wiggling the trans around to get the splines lined up pretty easy. The car needs to be pretty high to get the shifter to clear when it is sitting on the jack. I put the bottom of the bell housing at a height of about 21 inches. I also use the big jack stands to stability and safety. Once the trans is in position to lift the ease of fitting it into the bell housing is a snap. Hopefully you have a spline line up tool just in case its needed.

It is just about that time again to replace the clutch so it won't be long for me either.

Good luck !
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #9
tccrab

Been there, done that, and I also wrote a detailed write up on the removal:
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5351

The one piece of advice I stand firmly behind, call Bill B. and order up a set of C-Beam plates.
Trust me.
You will thank me later after you re-install the transmission and the C-Beam.

good luck!!

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #10
We Gone

Good luck Randy, wish I was closer so I could give you a hand.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote