ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-19-2012   #1
QB93Z

Default Road Trip to the 2012 Marc Haibeck BBQ

I will be attending Marc Haibeck's ZR-1 BBQ in Addison, Il on Sunday, April 22nd.

I decided to make a road trip to upper Michigan on my way to Marc's. Here is the route I am thinking about:

This will be a four-day trip. I will be in the Detroit area on Friday evening to see Joe's ZR-1. On Saturday, I plan to drive up the coast of Michigan and cross the Mackinac Bridge. Saturday evening I will be in Green Bay, WI. Sunday morning, I will head to Marc's. Then I will head home to Westminster, MD on Monday.

I can use your help. I am looking for suggestions of things to see along the route. Please post up or contact me if you can recommend anything. (jim@gizmosart.com)

Also, I would like to meet up with some ZR-1 owners along the route. Let me know if you would like to rendezvous for a milkshake or a beer.

I will try to get some pictures along the way, so stay tuned.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #2
DaveK

Default Re: Road Trip to the 2012 Marc Haibeck BBQ

Take a detour to Sudbury, On. We have errr... lots of rock, a big mining stack and me. (I think I'm the attraction out of that list!)

My wife and I did the drive around Lake Superior a couple of years back. If you want to travel a little higher Marquette and Big Bay Point are quite interesting, the movie "Anatomy of a Murder" with James Stewart was inspired by real events around there and much of it filmed in the area.

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #3
LGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
I
I can use your help. I am looking for suggestions of things to see along the route. Please post up or contact me if you can recommend anything. (jim@gizmosart.com)

Jim

My recommendation; 1)Don't go to Detroit 2)If you go to Detriot don't stop at stop signs.....slow down about 100 yards back and wait for a green then go.....on the other hand you might find a few Z parts on the roadside from stripped cars.....

Check out the old train station....sad
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #4
John Boothby

Frankenmuth, just southeast of Saginaw. Nice little breweries and cheese factories and a huge Christmas store. Also, Rockford, Il has a great clock museum. Also Chicago has a great Aquarium/Science and Industry/Natural History museums. I love Chicago!! Great Jazz clubs and food!!
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #5
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Take a detour to Sudbury, On. We have errr... lots of rock, a big mining stack and me. (I think I'm the attraction out of that list!)
Dave
I would like to visit your area. How fast would I have to go to get to Sudbury and still make it to Green Bay Saturday night.

Lee, I don't think we are actually going into Detroit, I do understand what you are saying.

John, Thanks for the suggestions. I was going to stop in Frankenmuth, but our ZR-1 Brother there, Robert, apparently left town. It seems that picking up a newly purchased ZR-1 is more exciting that meeting me.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #6
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
I would like to visit your area. How fast would I have to go to get to Sudbury and still make it to Green Bay Saturday night.

Jim
Not a problem in a ZR-1!

The cops might not be happy though

Enjoy your trip

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #7
JThomas

Jim:

As you enter Michigan along the I-75 corridor, you will be in Monroe County, home of Custer. You will see the Fermi II nuclear facility on the east side of the highway. Michigan is home to three significant nuclear plants.

As you enter the City of Detroit and pass through the downtown area, you will see the site of the old Tiger Stadium, the abandoned Train Station (Closed in 1982). The General Motors Headquarters is right downtown, also known as the Renassaince Center. (Originally owned and constructed by the Ford Motor Company)

Downtown also has the Joe Louis Arena (Red Wings), Comerica Park (New Tiger Ballpark) and Ford Field (Home of the Lions) along with several other attractions. It's a beautiful City with a lot of great architecture, if you're in to that sort of thing. I grew up there and enjoyed the experience.

As you travel from Detroit to the greater Lansing area, you may think about the GM Heritage Center, the Performance Build Center in Wixom, Michigan, where they build the motors for Z06's and ZR1's. Not too far from there is Pratt and Miller, the race shop that builds the Corvette Race car and general skunkwerks for GM.

When you get to Lansing, depending on time and energy, my home is ten minutes from Michigan State University. Lansing is the the Capitol of Michigan, and you could see the capitol building. Lansing was also home and headquarters of Oldsmobile, and the R.E. Olds Museum. East Lansing, is also home to the old Michigan State Police Headquarters. That facility is located on MSU's campus and was closed down in August of 2010. The new Headquarters is located in downtown Lansing.

We can talk more on Friday about other sites in Michigan, there is plenty to see. Have a safe trip and I'll see you tomorrow evening.

Joe
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #8
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

We are on the road!!!!!

ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #9
-=Jeff=-

Dave,

What happens when you get to Chicago and the wheels get sold off your car?
LOL
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #10
DaveK

He'll use his jetpack of course!