ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-06-2005   #1
tomtom72

Default Plenum pull veterans I have Q's

Hi all, First let me thank all the senior members who have provided info for pleebs like me to study at this site and the regional sites. Thanks so much! The members make this car fun to own.

I have three common issues I'm going to try to address. Breather oil leaks, secondary throttle vacuum leak and a few bad injector coils. I have a Helm for my 90 and most all of the parts. Easier to list what I didn't buy: DIS module, starter, alt., linkage parts for 2* butterflies, CTS, fan switch and mounting plate for coils. I think I'll buy the two sensors as soon as I eye the connection on the CTS.

Q1: It looks like there is enough room to just move the A/C comp. enough to get at the breather cover bolts without discharging the A/C gas?

Q2: To do breather gasket leak the inj. housings should be R & R'ed because all that is in the way?

Q3: P/S pump doesn't have to come out to move A/C comp.?

Q4: Helm doesn't say T/B & Air horn extension & plenum & Inj. H. bolts need loctite, I missed it in reading the book?

Q5: Parts CD says there are different style connectors on CTS for 90 Z, I read this worng?

Q6: To change injectors the fuel rails should be separated from the distribution block by disconnecting the lines at the rails? And those O-rings are the same as for the fuel filter?

Sorry for taking up space! I never worked on FI before now. Got me some rented work space for a month so I gotta get straight before I start to disassemble anything. I'm sure I overlooked something. If so, shout at me!

Thanks,
Tom
As a P.S. to all this I just noticed someone else's post about injectors. I purchased RC #205 and it seems I got the wrong ones? It seems I should have bought #225? Any help on this would be great! Thanks again.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 10-06-2005 at 07:35 AM. Reason: just noticed...
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #2
haber rj

Default Re: Plenum pull veterans I have Q's

Hello Tom, I am also in the process of replacing all my injectors and with the modification that I have done ( bolt ons, headers, corsa exhaust, new prom) they told me to run 24lb or 257cc injectors. I am not familiar with replacing injectors or the removal of the plenum, but I guess that there is no time like now to get in and learn. It really doesn't look that difficult, taking the upper plenum off should be ok if I take my time.

haber nj
haber rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #3
tomtom72

Hi haber rj, Yea I guess we all gotta start learning at some point! Did you check out Jeffvette's Pacfic NorthWest web site? It has some great step by step lay outs of the plenum pull.
Good luck with your project!!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 10-06-2005   #4
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
Q1: It looks like there is enough room to just move the A/C comp. enough to get at the breather cover bolts without discharging the A/C gas?
There is enough slack/flex in the system that you can remove the AC compressor to get it off of the breather box and sitting down by the water pump with no issues.

Quote:
Q2: To do breather gasket leak the inj. housings should be R & R'ed because all that is in the way?
No, the breather box should come out with out removing the injector housings (it does make it easier though). You will have to remove the secondary butterfly linkageand the actuators to get the breather box out.

Quote:
Q3: P/S pump doesn't have to come out to move A/C comp.?
No, PS pump can stay put unless you are removing the driver side cam cover.

Quote:
Q4: Helm doesn't say T/B & Air horn extension & plenum & Inj. H. bolts need loctite, I missed it in reading the book?
No loctite in any of the serviceable top end stuff.

Quote:
Q5: Parts CD says there are different style connectors on CTS for 90 Z, I read this worng?
There are two different CTS sensors on the driver side injector housing. One is for the ECm reading, the other is for the gauge. To my knowledge these are the same for all years. One is a standard clip, the other is a spade connector.

Quote:
Q6: To change injectors the fuel rails should be separated from the distribution block by disconnecting the lines at the rails? And those O-rings are the same as for the fuel filter?
Don't remember off the top of my head what the size for the fuel rail block is. I know you can either get them from GM or Kurt White.

Quote:
As a P.S. to all this I just noticed someone else's post about injectors. I purchased RC #205 and it seems I got the wrong ones? It seems I should have bought #225? Any help on this would be great! Thanks again.
The 205's will be fine. 225's are recomended for larger motors or Nitrous applications.

Last edited by Jeffvette; 10-06-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2005   #5
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by haber rj
Hello Tom, I am also in the process of replacing all my injectors and with the modification that I have done ( bolt ons, headers, corsa exhaust, new prom) they told me to run 24lb or 257cc injectors. I am not familiar with replacing injectors or the removal of the plenum, but I guess that there is no time like now to get in and learn. It really doesn't look that difficult, taking the upper plenum off should be ok if I take my time.

haber nj
As I replied in Tom's post, the 205's will be fine. With bolt on's, headers and even porting the 205's will be fine.

Tom thanks for the plug on my site. It's www.pnwzr1.net The tear down info is in the tech section.
Old 10-06-2005   #6
tomtom72

Jeffvette, and

I'm now a little more at ease with this. Your site should be required reading for all rookie owners along with the stuff on the NetRegistry!

Thanks on the injector Q also! I was thinking if I can't even order parts correctly what am I doing taking the plenum off. I feel better hearing the voices of experience. I would sent the stuff to you but I don't know yet how long my Uncle will like his S500 Merc sitting out side
I told him can I have two weeks & he didn't seem to mind. I don't want to push my luck. I guess a little 600 wet and LPE's paint plus maybe some clear & a little 3000 wet will have to do this time.

Thank you for responding & helping me out!

Tom
Old 10-06-2005   #7
Jeffvette

Not a problem Tom. And depending on the color you choose, I could get it done quickly. Not like another week would kill your uncles Merc.
Old 10-06-2005   #8
tomtom72

Jeff,
I'm not brave enough to try to remove the cam covers!
Besides the budget took a big hit with all the parts I bought. I'm gonna go get the two sensors and I may try to rebuild the starter & alt. The jury's still out on the DIS module. All the vacuum parts, coils, magnecor wires, 16 injectors, gaskets and breather box stuff.

I guess you can tell I don't want to go back under there any time soon! Besides I have to save $ for gas for next season because I have alot of places I want to go with the Z.
Tom
Old 10-06-2005   #9
Jeffvette

I hear ya. I got my own projects for the winter. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2005   #10
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
I got my own projects for the winter.

ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote