ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-25-2017   #1
S.hafsmo

Default Transmission noise - DualMass or Throwout?

On a recent test drive I heard a rather disturbing noise coming from the transmission when the clutch is depressed, and the input shaft has a higher speed than the motor/flywheel.

If I just depress the clutch, there is no noise, but if I rev slightly in neural, clutch enganged, then depress the clutch, a loud rattling/grinding noise appears, and continues until clutch is engaged again.

If it was the throw-out bearing, would it not make noise every time clutch is depressed? Is my dual mass flywheel failing?

A quick and rather poor video of the noise; https://youtu.be/yHi75CXl2lM

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 04-25-2017 at 05:14 AM.
S.hafsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Transmission noise - DualMass or Throwout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
On a recent test drive I heard a rather disturbing noise coming from the transmission when the clutch is depressed, and the input shaft has a higher speed than the motor/flywheel.

If I just depress the clutch, there is no noise, but if I rev slightly in neural, clutch enganged, then depress the clutch, a loud rattling/grinding noise appears, and continues until clutch is engaged again.

If it was the throw-out bearing, would it not make noise every time clutch is depressed? Is my dual mass flywheel failing?

A quick and rather poor video of the noise; https://youtu.be/yHi75CXl2lM
Hmm sounds like a bad throw-out bearing however I sent your you tube link to the ZF DOC to see what he thinks. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Well, in any case it sounds like you're gonna be "in there" soon and find out for sure. But, I'm gonna guess it is the TO bearing or possibly the pilot bushing. (I once has an input bearing on a M21 go bad - sounded pretty bad like the video - but it was worse w/ the clutch OUT than with it depressed, For What It's Worth (FWIW).

Might as well...

...have a new disc on hand when you go in there - sorta mitigates the trouble of going in there in the first place - call it a "clutch overhaul" - freshen everything up at the same time.

And...unless the clutch PP or FW surface was burned or worn as result of metal to metal contact/damage to the PP or the FW, there's no concern for "turning" either. The new disc will quickly break-in after a 100 miles of so of use with normal driving. (The Veleo PP is slightly beveled in toward the center. So, you want to avoid any drag race type clutch engagements until the disc has a chance to assume the shape of the disc/FW surfaces.)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-25-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017   #4
S.hafsmo

Thanks GC. Qurious to hear what he has to say on the matter.

Paul,
Sure seems I'll be going in there. Really hoping it's not the input shaft, but surely that would make noise (as you mention) when clutch is out as well?
I'm considering to get a clutch kit from ecklers or something. They're about $400 including pressure plate, pilot-, and throwout bearing.
I kinda want a new DM flywheel as well, but then we're in a different league cost-wise. Not that the price is a problem, but annoying if the old FW is still good. Can you tell if it's busted with the tranny/clutch removed?

Anything else one might need in there? clutch fork pivot ball?

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 04-25-2017 at 02:10 PM.
S.hafsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017   #5
BigJohn

Woodpeckers them dern woodpeckers again!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017   #6
Ronstar

i have a similar noise (hard to tell from video) in my car. I have a single mass flywheel. let me know what you find out
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017   #7
BigJohn

You know with a single mass flywheel and a centerforce clutch my trany sound like a shaking box of rocks when in neutral!
But there is nothing wrong.
Old 04-25-2017   #8
Mystic ZR-1

So, it's a box of rocks!
I always thought it was your Roy Rogers lunch box
half full of nuts and bolts?
��

Last edited by Mystic ZR-1; 04-25-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: .
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017   #9
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
So, it's a box of rocks!
I always thought it was your Roy Rogers lunch box
half full of nuts and bolts?
��
So you have been looking!!!
Old Roy can really get you out of trouble when needed.
You have your ZR-1 together yet?
We had five cars out in the rain Saturday.
Old 04-25-2017   #10
Ronstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
You know with a single mass flywheel and a centerforce clutch my trany sound like a shaking box of rocks when in neutral!
But there is nothing wrong.
I'm used to the normal box of rocks. I also have a sound like the OP
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote