ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-19-2005   #1
Chris

Default ZR1 Market -

Looking to buy one these rascials (specifically a 1991), but prices are all over the place? I see a lot of Zr1's for sale with mileage in the 30's. Is maintenance required at that point that cost big bucks? I'm new to this but, just don't want to get taken... looking for a Z that is unmolested and super clean. What kinda prices should I be realistically seeing? Kelley Blue book, NADA Edmonds indicate Low Low twenties? Please shed some light is it better to pay a few bucks more for mileage in the teens vs 30's?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #2
Scoob

Buy the nicest one you can afford, but 30k miles on a well maintained LT5 is nothing to worry about. It's just getting broken in!
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #3
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Looking to buy one these rascials (specifically a 1991), but prices are all over the place?
Hello Chris, and welcome to the forum.

If you have not read the following info, take a little time and it will be well invested if you want to own a King Of The Hill.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_buying.htm

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_prices.htm

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_sale.htm

Hope this helps, and we look forward to you becoming a fellow member.

JIM
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #4
We Gone

Do your homework look at as many as you can..and if you find you you like I'm sure someone here thats close would be happy to check it out with ya or for you.

Best of luck and good hunting.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #5
Jim Jones

I too am new to the ZR-1 having just purchased mine on April 2, 2005. (Not that it was a big day or anything!! ) I was originally looking for a C4 but the more I researched, the more I wanted a ZR-1. Mine had 53k on it when I bought it and I paid less than 20k for it. Was it a steal? I think so. It has a couple of scratches on it and the interior is not perfect, but I have spoken to both of the previous owners and a lot of receipts came with my car. Has my car been pampered? Sure, but it's also been driven in the rain and was a summer daily driver for almost 8 years.

Bottom line, I think it just really depends on what you want to pay for the car. As for the differences, I don't know of any problems specific to a 1991.

I'd be happy to check one out for you in my area if you need any help.

Good Luck!

Jim

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #6
tomtom72

Default Just another rookie owner's two cents...

Chris,
I found when I was looking that Z owners are methodical about maintenence. The car cost way too much to neglect. I found that to be true for original owners as well as subsequent owners. Having said that, we are still talking about used cars.
I also think you will notice that the cars with more milage will have had most of the "common problems" worked out. You know the wear related items like starters & alternators and such like. At least that it what I noticed when looking for my Z. Then there are the cars that have had various levels of tweeking. Those cars, I found, were owned by the very knowledgable enthusiast and were very well cared for. It takes some $ to enhance the performance of a Z!! You don't neglect that car!
I think the budget dictates what kind of Z you look for as always. I bought from an original owner & the car had low miles so I learned here what to expect in the way of "what would the car need" & was okay with those potiential costs. That was traded off for a car with 9200 miles & in like new condition cosmetically. It didn't take long for all the parts that don't react well to infrequent use to fail to my frequent use. Example: 4/28/05 9200 miles and now 8/20/05 13,506 & I just use the car on weekends & one trip to BG. Hyd sys for clutch was first, next there is slight vacuum leak under plenum to be done. Next the CD don't work, speakers already went to bose.

The car sat more than it was used so I think that contributed to what I have to deal with. Had the car been driven most of this stuff would have had to have been addressed before I got it. I wanted a car with the lowest milage I could find in my budget. Hind sight, I think I should have gone the other way & got one with more use on it. I'm not sorry I have my Z because it still smells new & I'm the one who will put THE miles on it!!

Sorry to be so long! Just wanted to give another view that might be of use.

Good luck in your search Chris!!

Tom
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #7
WB9MCW

Thumbs up 92 WITH 60K MILES

CHRIS the only two items i've had are a new clutch (went with a ceramic race type and went with an alum. flywheel) and a small (well known by zr-1 guys) oil leak off the header manifold hanger stud that I still have to fix. Oil and fluid changes,tires and brakes are things you have to do on going along with exterior maint. But other than that just have to find the time to drive my weekend warrior! btw, I have a 53k all orig.(cept paint job) 84 4sale if u have a need or a buddy lookin 4 a low mile 84 c4!!!

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #8
ffvetteman

Just for comparison, I bought a white 92 in Feb. It had 34K miles, 2 minor chips on the front, other than hat mint. Intertior mint. Underside mint. All paperwork including window sticker. New original equipment tires. And I paid 23K.

Best cer I ever bought.
ffvetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #9
Z Factor

Any thoughts based on the replies so far Chris?

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #10
cuisinartvette

High miler, here, runs super strong-Don't be afraid to lean on it once in awhile. These motors are amazing!