ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-21-2008   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Adhiesive solvent?

I'm replacing my hood and gas door emblems, and the gas door emblem has that double sided sticky tape on it. What do y'all recommend as far as procedure(s) and solvents go to remove the old one and residue w/o damaging the paint? I bought some "Oops", which dissolves latex paint, but isn't suppose to affect other paints... Any suggestions on procedures and/or solvents?

TIA,

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #2
evl_twn

Default Re: Adhiesive solvent?

Have you tried heating it with a hair dryer? Don't use a heat gun, as that's TOO much heat. Just get the adhesive warm, and it should be easier to remove. If there's any gunk left over try goo gone or something similar.
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #3
Aurora40

3M makes a product called "wax, tar, and adhesive remover". You can probably get it at Wal-Mart. It works great on emblem adhesive and is fairly paint safe. That said, you never want to let those sorts of solvents sit on the paint longer than necessary.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #4
RedSled

I've used the hairdryer method before on other projects and it worked pretty well. Took some time, but absolutely no paint issues.
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #5
Paul Workman

Default Re: Adhiesive solvent: 3M!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I'm replacing my hood and gas door emblems, and the gas door emblem has that double sided sticky tape on it. What do y'all recommend as far as procedure(s) and solvents go to remove the old one and residue w/o damaging the paint? I bought some "Oops", which dissolves latex paint, but isn't suppose to affect other paints... Any suggestions on procedures and/or solvents?

TIA,

P.
Thanks all for your responses. (Great people make a great board!!)

3M "General Purpose Adhiesive Cleaner" # 08984 did the trick. Specifically states it can be applied to automotive paint to remove adhiesives. It worked very well and not a trace of color (paint) came off on a white cotton cloth (used to wipe the adhiesive off).

And, to the heat approach, I used the heat gun to soften the adhiesive enough to get a flat tool between the old emblem and the goo to pry it up some to allow better access by the 3M solvent. Took about 10 minutes of careful heating in the presence of solvent and some gentle prying to get the old emblem off, and then about 5 min to dissolve and remove the remaining adhiesive.

BTW, (and FYI) I tested some "OOPS" glue and adhiesive remover and some "Goop" remover on the paint in an inconspiceous location, and the white rag came up with some red tint - NOT a good sign.

So, hope this helps someone!!

P.
Old 01-23-2008   #6
Jim Nolan

When I replaced my emblems I did not take the plastic off the backside of the emblems. The two nuts hold it on just fine. This makes it easy to wax the car with no residue around the emblems, remove them, wax and reinstall. Always looks good.
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #7
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nolan
When I replaced my emblems I did not take the plastic off the backside of the emblems. The two nuts hold it on just fine. This makes it easy to wax the car with no residue around the emblems, remove them, wax and reinstall. Always looks good.
DAMN! Oh, how I wish I had seen this yesterday!! Doh!

P.
Old 01-23-2008   #8
bradslt5

another really good product that will not hurt the paint is wd 40. its what the meguiars guys use for tree sap, road tar etc. or I.P..
bradslt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #9
Aurora40

Default Re: Adhiesive solvent: 3M!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman
3M "General Purpose Adhiesive Cleaner" # 08984 did the trick. Specifically states it can be applied to automotive paint to remove adhiesives. It worked very well and not a trace of color (paint) came off on a white cotton cloth (used to wipe the adhiesive off).

And, to the heat approach, I used the heat gun to soften the adhiesive enough to get a flat tool between the old emblem and the goo to pry it up some to allow better access by the 3M solvent. Took about 10 minutes of careful heating in the presence of solvent and some gentle prying to get the old emblem off, and then about 5 min to dissolve and remove the remaining adhiesive.
FYI, the "General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" is a fair bit stronger than "wax, adhesive and tar remover". But it's paint safe, though less so. If it worked fine, that's great. I would have tried the milder product first. No biggie.

To the prying, I would not recommend that if you have to do it again, as paint is easily nicked or scratched. Personally I use dental floss to cut the adhesive foam, then a remover to remove the remaining adhesive from the car.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 01-23-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #10
bradslt5

awsome idea on the dental floss. duh i never thought of that.ya learn something new everyday
bradslt5 is offline   Reply With Quote