ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-25-2007   #1
WB9MCW

Arrow TOOK A GOOD LONG RIDE TODAY

Well were took olde 92-443 for a nice long ride today and got to smell a lot of roses.

Sure felt good to run her throught the gears and feel the g-force acceleration push me in the seat hard. I love the way the hood bobs up and
down 3" between shifts.

No wonder my wife freaks everytime when I nail the KING.

But today I was solo-- so no "peanut gallery" comments has to be heard or acknowledged. It was a "hammer-time party" in the Z today.

The best part is I had no destination so we let 443 pick her own path as she might and ran with the call of the open road and the wind.

443 made a rule today that we would stay off the main highway and pick backwood 2-lanes over the big highways. We did the best we could to say off the beaten path and hit a lot of country roads.

We were "aimlessly wandering" truly the way a vette loves to roll. Not a care in the world except the next curve ahead and the next stop sign to brake for--- and then to do it all over again --- ram through the gears skirt the curve and brake for another sign---over and over and over---for miles and miles---

Go left--go right--go forward--We took the roads that had the best pavement for 443-- if a road had curmmy pavement we got off quick to look for good runnin roads.

Reminded me of my boat "Bad Attitude" when we are in search of flat water for a high speed pass--Today the ZR-1 was in search of the best pavement so we could go fast-turn hard and ram the gears.

The high point of the day was when we pulled up behind some RICE --you know the type--- the fast AWD MITSI evo crap that is gonna show your vette you are nothing as he hammers it on the green light. (funny it was one of the few lights we hit today) well after Mr RICE nails it I so have to admit he was pretty fast and did have good traction and even his fart can exhaust note sounded impressive--that was until the LT-5 roar took over my ears.

It is funny cause I did not even think about this guy going for it so we did not really nail it until we saw Mr Rice was hammer down--as a result we had a very nice controlled launch --two gears later we were all over the ricers azz.

It was a KING's moment--- I really felt truly sorry for Mt Rice since I had to actually brake to slow to his speed and I could see hiz eyes all over his rearview in disbelief of what he saw--My ZR-1 at ramming speed---LOL

Well needless to say he stayed on the throttle and proceeded to stay in it up to 100 when we backed off since we had already proved our point and didn't need to behave insane with any more speed than that--- being plenty fast for that particular road.

The KING always like to come from behind --the same way I race my boat and all my toys--since there is never any doubt when you pull up along someone and they know without any doubt they were full throttle and you just pulled them 'fair and square'. I love the pull it is my fav part--the look on the other guys face as you out-pull em and wiz on by--

Well we never did the wiz on by with Mr Rice but we didn't have to-- since he knows darn well he took the hole shot first and we came from behind to close the gap and we came up on him hard. We all know what that looks like in our rearview mirror when someone does it to us in our DD's.

This is why I love the KING-- She never disappoints, she is such a sleeper and she loves to out pull from behind--That is what I like ---the fact the guy knows he just got whooped bad and no doubt about that---must not be that stock vette he thought it was after all---

Long live the KOTH
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #2
We Gone

Default Re: TOOK A GOOD LONG RIDE TODAY

I like the reference to (WE) as if the ZR-1 was just a passenger along for the ride..

I feel the same way when Old Blue and I are out (We) Gone …..

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #3
bobbyhi

Great story Bryan Just love it when the big grin comes by hammering the LT5.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #4
Tim

Gotta Love it .
Old 06-25-2007   #5
Peaven

The legend lives, nice story Bryan.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #6
RICHARD TILL

Long live the King.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #7
John Boothby

I had exactly the same thing happen to me last Memorial Day. This time it was a new mousetang GT vert.

We were side by side at a stop light. He with his top down, me with my windows down. It was one of those great days, not too hot, not too cold. He looked over and nodded. I nodded back, just thinking that he was acknowledging a nice ride.

The light turned green and he floored it! Smok'n tires and all! Caught me kinda by surprise! Well, I hammered ol red and we took off! By second gear I had caught him and by third I was past him.

We were both heading for the on-ramp to the freeway and had to slow for the 90dg turn onto the ramp. I let him pass me once we got on the freeway and he gave me the thumbs up!!

I don't usually street race, but this one I could not turn down!!

You always hear that one cause of the King's demise was it's benign look. Sometimes it is cool to be stealthy!!
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #8
WB9MCW

You always hear that one cause of the King's demise was it's benign look. Sometimes it is cool to be stealthy!!

To Me the KOTH is the ultimate "SLEEPER"---

A sleeper car refers to a vehicle that has lots of go with minimal show. The term is most commonly heard in drag racing and muscle car circles when a vehicle shows up that looks virtually stock but is packing a punch under the hood. In my own experience real sleepers are few and far between. Some people claim to have sleepers but their cars always have major give aways to what lies under the rough exterior such as loud exhaust, drag slicks on super wide wheels, a host of after market gauges in the interior or an after market steering wheel and race seats.

When Wheel to Wheel Powertrain set out to build the ultimate sleeper they weren’t messing around. Starting with a shabby green 1972 Chevy Nova complete with straight six motor, they boys at Wheel to Wheel went to town creating one of the meanest Nova’s ever to hit the streets, but the best part is you would never know by looking at it.

If you’ve ever driven a six cylinder Nova then you know what the true meaning of “slow car” is. But gone are the days of snailing around in this ‘72 Chevy. Now the Nova sports a 402 cid LS-2 V8 with twin whisper quiet Rotrex C38-81 superchargers and twin liquid to air intercoolers. With all the goodies this Wheel to Wheel motor is good for 1100 horsepower, and thanks to a nifty octane on demand fuel system it can be run on pump gas without problems. Thanks to the blowers and a hefty set of mufflers the car is still able to maintain a low profile.

Inside the car looks remarkably stock. The original bench seat was left in tact with an old cover draped over it for affect. The two spoke steering wheel was left in place and the dash board was untouched; all the after market gauges were cleverly hidden in the glove box. The backseat was modified slightly to hide wheel tubs and a 10 point gauge was blended into the car, but even with the gauge it is really hard to tell that this Nova isn’t bone stock.

A look at the interior of the finished vehicle. Note the gauges in the glove box.

The Nova’s brakes were ditched in favor of a high-tech set of four wheel discs. The rear end and suspension were beefed up to handle the additional power. Twin fuel cells-one for pump gas one for race gas-were hidden in the trunk along top of the line fuel pumps and an easily accessible drag parachute. No expense was spared on turning this Nova into a full on race car that could still drive on the street and look like a stocker.

So what do all these high performance goodies add up to? The SS Nova (super sleeper) will run the quarter mile in the low nine second range all day long, and you can still drive it across the country. This is one impressive sleeper. If it weren’t for the wider tires and lower stance you would never know it wasn’t a six cylinder Nova.

The finished product. Doesn’t look like 1100 horsepower.

COMPLETE BUILD UP STORY>>> http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/t-novabuild-2.aspx

I SUPPOSE IF THIS BEAST WHOOPED YOUR KOTH U MIGHT JUST CALL IT THE ULTIMATE SLEEPER---LOLOL
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #9
4DSZR1

That car is awesome! Like you say, its truly a sleeper.
4DSZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #10
blackjack

i know very well the feeling when you blast past the rice-grinders.although i occasionnaly get trounced by those blower-stangs...grrrrrrrr
headers,you said?
bj
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote