ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-23-2019   #1
mmkkpro

Default Fuel Injectors

Good morning guys, I have a question about fuel injectors. As you guys know I am preparing to start my 1990Z for the first time in several years, I have cleaned my fuel tank, got my fuel sending unit ready for installation, got to blow out fuel lines. My question is has anyone used Southbay fuel injectors? They are refurbished Bosh and they have great reviews and are in my price range. Not knowing if the engine is OK yet, I can't see spending 800 bucks on stainless steel injectors yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I sent my instrument cluster to Batee. Com for Bryan to rebuild. I'm making progress just taking one thing at a time, a little longer process than I thought it would be, but that's OK, I want to do it right, thanks.
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Fuel Injectors

Criteria for a proper injector, one immune to the ravages of alcohol, is one that:
  1. is immune to having the internal actuator coils - in particular the insulation covering the windings - from dissolving over time.
  2. the body will not corrode/rust in the presence of water, water which seem to be synonymous when alcohol is present in the fuel
  3. rated at 21# (stock 5.7L LT5).

"Refurbished/rebuilt...call them what you will, if they don't meet those 3 criteria, then you're headed for trouble. (FIC and others too perhaps have offered "rebuilt" injectors over the years, and the owner has had to replace them again, for various reasons.

Not that others will not work - because there are some, but they have to meet those 3 criteria. And, I look at it this way: injectors are at the heart of not only performance, but if they slide (insidiously) to failure later, serious problems can result, e.g., burnt valves, for one!

Jerry's Gaskets can set you up with new FIC, alcohol immune, stainless injectors w/ the two primary and secondary seals (both different in the 1990). Or Summit Racing provides the Accel 150821s* (16 injectors) @ $650 plus shipping and gaskets that work extremely well (for the last 8 years, at least) in my '90.

*The 150821 requires the plastic indexing nub to be ground off of the injector's connector - in order for the connector of each secondary(?) only injector to snap in place properly: takes maybe 5 minutes to do all 8 with a Dremel grinder.

Scrimp on other things if necessary, but injectors are too critical to overall performance to be cutting corners on...IMO.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-23-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019   #3
mmkkpro

Thanks Paul, you are right about doing it right the first time, will check out Jerry's Gaskets as he can hook me up with everything I need to complete the job. I appreciate your time and advice, thank you.
Old 06-23-2019   #4
TX '90 ZR1

Double Kudos to Paul's response.
Do it right and do it once. Try to cut corners and you will always have a doubt as to whether the issue has actually been corrected.
There's a catchy phrase that says this, but I'll be damned if I can recall what it is.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019   #5
Ccmano

My car was running the Bosch/Ford Orange top injectors when I got it. They have stainless bodies and ran perfectly fine. Did some research and they are rated at 19lbs by Ford but Ford runs lower fuel pressure. When running at our fuel pressures they are rated at 21lbs. I did change them out but only because I’d didn’t know how old they were on my 180k mile car and I got a killer deal on a set of FIC’. I see no issue with these injectors.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019   #6
2ljd

Stay away from those Southbay injectors...I bought and installed a set, only to find out after going through all the trouble that half of them weren't firing right out of the box. Ended up ordering the FICs and after installing them, everything worked great.
2ljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019   #7
mmkkpro

Thanks to all that have replied, I really appreciate your guys input. I have decided to go with the FIC stainless steel along with the Viton gasket set also from FIC. I'm still a ways from initial start up, guess I'm a little worried about the engine itself, although the seller told me it ran fine the fuel pump went out and was parked. I have a lot to do all vacuum lines, plug wires, have to build a pressure tank to prime the oiling system, have no idea about coils and other sensors. I'm going to move ahead with FIC components and see what she does, I made a commitment to get her going and am going to follow through. I know some of my questions may sound trivial, but I would rather ask about things from you guys so I can minimize mistakes. I can't wait to get her going and attend some events with you guys and get to know yall. I really do appreciate the responses. 👍👍🏁