ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-13-2013   #1
LancePearson

Default Removing Radio/Speakers for New Owners

I am putting a new right front speaker/amp and a new face on my Bose Gold radio from Dr. Don's when they get here and stumbled on as a new owner this excellent site with three videos on it that clearly show you how to remove the actual radio below the glove box, the front speaker/amp and the rear speaker amp.

A picture is worth a thousand words to a new guy. These radios as I discovered are three parts functionally, the display unit in the center, the CDM or control data module under the glovebox which is where the reception and digital data signals are sent out to various pieces and then the speaker/amps which are unusual in that there is an amp at each speaker.

For anyone new to the model it shows simply how to do it.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...vettevideo.htm
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #2
Schrade

Default Re: Removing Radio/Speakers for New Owners

WOW.

I just got this same link form Bob himself, at 6:51 PM, after a chat on the phone.

He'll add an input to the Delco Bose Gold (1/8th" Mini-Plug input, for a C-Bill).

I need an SD / MMC card input, without changing the head unit...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-z7A2OtdRIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
--------------------------------------------------------------

vid embed fail???
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 02-13-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #3
LancePearson

[QUOTE=Schrade;163697]WOW.

I just got this same link form Bob himself, at 6:51 PM, after a chat on the phone.

He'll add an input to the Delco Bose Gold (1/8th" Mini-Plug input, for a C-Bill).

I need an SD / MMC card input, without changing the head unit...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-z7A2OtdRIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
--------------------------------------------------------------

The video link plays when you click it. Are you saying that he can put a tap in with a 1/8" plug input so you can run something like an Ipod? If I were going to do that I'd love to be able to input a usb port for a flash drive. If the speaker amps keep failing after this one I'll jerk the whole thing out and replace it with a modern radio with remote and usb port and all new wiring and speakers...lots of snaking wires around and possible have to put an amp in the back. I'm quite happy with the cd player and radio sounds as is but don't want to be dumping $200 every six months into it either.

I thought the videos were simple and direct and clearly cut my learning curve.

Lance
Net Registry #1461
Old 02-14-2013   #4
Schrade

If i understood him correctly there Lance, he said he'll wire in a device with a 1/8" Mini-Plug input, TO the DCM.

I was believing that this fed a signal TO the radio control head, FROM the added 1/8" Mini-Plug input, such as i-X device...

It comes to the radio control head as a pre-set frequency - 87.9 FM, i. e., and plays the input as an OTA station...

An adapter is made in the form of cassette tape, which has SD / MMC card input, USB, etc., but is battery powered. If it was wired in, I'd be on it...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 02-23-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2013   #5
LancePearson

Yes...there are several ways without wire. You can buy a cassette tape with wire that has the 1/8" plug for your ipod or other device then stick the cassette in to your radio to play. Not always the best. The other way is what I just ordered from Amazon which plugs into the lighter and you can plug an ipod type into it, a high capacity card or a flash usb drive (what I'll do) then it sends an fm signal to the radio and you tune to the one you select and with the remote, control the usb playing on your radio...local fm.

about $35. Ordered. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
Net Registry #1461
Old 02-14-2013   #6
LancePearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
If i understood him correctly there Lance, he said he'll wire in a device with a 1/8" Mini-Plug input, TO the DCM.

I was believing that this fed a signal TO the radio control head, FROM the added 1/8" Mini-Plug input, such as i-X device...

It comes to the radio control head as a pre-set frequency - 87.9 FM, i. e., and plays the input as an OTA station...

An adapter is made in the form of cassette tape, which has SD / MMC card input, USB, etc., but is battery powered. If it was wired in, I'd be on it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-New-...item53efeddb44

By the way, nice blade. What is it? Shrade?

Under the front seat of my TBSS I keep a like new ECK from Viet Nam era...double sided fairly long and fairly lethal blade. Just hope I don't cut myself on it.

Lance
Net Registry #1461
Old 02-22-2013   #7
Schrade

Just got off the phone again with Bob carstereohelp.com

Looks like he's had his hands on my Head Unit already.

He's gonna' try to forward a pinout ID for the brown harness connector, for L and R channels...

Old 02-22-2013   #8
Schrade

I would LOVE to mount the 3.5mm jack in the faceplate, but the only candidate spot - the lower right corner, is blocked by a clear plastic light carrier.

That, and removal of the faceplate, from the faceplate frame, is impeded by the control knobs on the left, attached to their own logic board...

Old 02-23-2013   #9
LancePearson

some more photos today from radio head removal, new radio face installed and then the stack of modules in the center console sans trim, just the radio sitting in place waiting one last thing. Works functionally but I may have screwed a small fuse for the lights up. The new face looks good. Everythig works perfectly save the lights which I have to talk to Dr. Don about on Monday. In my first attempt where I know I got the pins wrong I probably blew a few if there is one. Easy to remove the radio and take the outter metal case off the head in the back then all the pin connectors for the female side are easy enough to guide to the new head electronics panel's many long pins and push them together then slide the face and its detents into place. The clear plastic distributes the light across the inside of the face when functioning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zr1lp/8...n/photostream/
Net Registry #1461
Old 02-25-2013   #10
LancePearson

Bose automotive told me this morning something I did not know. The radio head unit was made by Delco, not Bose. The speaker amps were made by Bose. Don't know about the cdm. The labels do not reflect that.

"....Thank you for your inquiry. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the Bose Music System in your 1991 Chevrolet Corvette. The speakers/amplifiers are manufactured by Bose Corporation and the radio/cd portion of the system is manufactured by Delco Electronics....."
Net Registry #1461