ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-31-2008   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default My Brakes: More show than whoa

Little by little I'm making progress and hope to get my Z back on the road during the summer before I have to hang in up in storage for a deployment to Iraq later this year. I almost thought about not bring it out, but I need to enjoy it since it has been awhile.

I did not feel the need to upgrade to all the high end brakes or C5 at a minimum and happy with this low budget upgrade.

[IMG][/IMG]

Keith,
Go ahead and ship another case of diapers!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-31-2008   #2
lbszr

Default Re: My Brakes: More show than whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
Little by little I'm making progress and hope to get my Z back on the road during the summer before I have to hang in up in storage for a deployment to Iraq later this year. I almost thought about not bring it out, but I need to enjoy it since it has been awhile.

I did not feel the need to upgrade to all the high end brakes or C5 at a minimum and happy with this low budget upgrade.

:bs

Keith,
Go ahead and ship another case of diapers!!!!

[IMG]/IMG]
Those look really good! They don't really look like a low budget upgrade! What rotors and calipars are they? Mine might make it to a track in May and the rotors and calipars will most likely be smoked after that and looking for a quick change now or at the track.
Old 03-31-2008   #3
Hammer

Talking Re: My Brakes: More show than whoa

That's clean. Where did the rotors and calipers come from?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
That's clean. Where did the rotors and calipers come from?
Hi John,

Thanks!

The rotors came from wholesalediscountparts.com a few years ago, but I can't find the C4 post in the other forum. The are still listed as WDP INC user name in CF. They were dirt cheap and group buy; I think they might be out of business as I can find their website.

The calipers came from www.discbrakesrus.com

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-31-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2008   #5
tomtom72

Wow Craig.......can I borrow some diapers?

Man, that just looks....well, I'm so green with envy.....soooo great! You do some nice work! You could eat lunch off your stuff!

Hey, be careful, be safe & come home safe & sound! Oh yea, and thank you for your service from the rest of us!

Ya know, I did the samey same to mine ( or at least it looks the same ) and I gotta say that I really do notice a upgrade to the stopping "feel" at least. I really do think besides the "feel" that the parts swap made a difference in brake preformance....that's just a perception on my part with no numbers to back it up.....but I swear it stops better. Overall, I'm pleased with the compromise up-grade...ya know without going up to the C5 stuff...I wanted to keep my salad shooters in "play" as a wheel option. Ofcourse now with G/Yr & the 315/17" situation maybe I goofed. But I still think the 1/2 step up-grade was worth it.

Lookin' great mano!!!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 03-31-2008 at 08:44 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #6
32valvZ

Looks great! I remember the WDP group buy. I bought a set of the same rotors you have, I think for around $250. shipped!! They were nice parts, but there were problems for many other guys. I think they were sending the wrong rotors for left and right applications and the offsets were wrong for some too. I remember when I got mine 3 were correct & 1 was a blank with no holes or grooves. I believe you are correct and they are no longer in business. Too bad, they seemed like good parts for the street anyway.....
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #7
carter200

Craig,
Looking sweet

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #8
Z Factor

Cool Re: My Brakes: More show than whoa

Looking good

http://www.discbrakesrus.com/powdercoatingbrakes.htm

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks for all the remarks. I'm quite please with them and I'm hoping that the performance will be acceptable. I had no complaints with the stock set so I'm sure I'll be happy.

As for the rotors, yes there were many issues with these guys and my only problem was the surface in between the area where the lugs are and the rotor surface was rough and I wanted the machined look. They ended up sending me a second set of rotors for free. I guess I'll sell that other set.
Old 03-31-2008   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
Wow Craig.......can I borrow some diapers?

Man, that just looks....well, I'm so green with envy.....soooo great! You do some nice work! You could eat lunch off your stuff!

Hey, be careful, be safe & come home safe & sound! Oh yea, and thank you for your service from the rest of us!

Ya know, I did the samey same to mine ( or at least it looks the same ) and I gotta say that I really do notice a upgrade to the stopping "feel" at least. I really do think besides the "feel" that the parts swap made a difference in brake preformance....that's just a perception on my part with no numbers to back it up.....but I swear it stops better. Overall, I'm pleased with the compromise up-grade...ya know without going up to the C5 stuff...I wanted to keep my salad shooters in "play" as a wheel option. Ofcourse now with G/Yr & the 315/17" situation maybe I goofed. But I still think the 1/2 step up-grade was worth it.

Lookin' great mano!!!
Thanks, I just took my time in the air conditioned garage with stereo sounds and did some cleaning of the 18 years of grime. I'll fine tune the polishing of the aluminum parts after I get the car on the road. Thanks again for the comments and wishes.