ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-21-2017   #1
Bruce

Default LT5 Water Pump - Possible Diagnosis and Spectacular Compressor Failure

Greetings fellow ZR1s from Down Under.
I currently have my ZR1 in the workshop looking somewhat forlorn.
The air conditioning compressor pulley bearing failed in spectacular fashion while cruising through my hood.

I felt a bit like Cheech and Chong, with the interior filled completely with white smoke that entered through the vents. Downed the windows to let it out only to find it coming out of the bonnet as well.
I chose not to stop and check it out for a few reasons, and nursed it home another 7 minutes away.

When I drove it in the workshop I lifted the bonnet to see smoke still pouring off the pulley.

Ok. The bearing collapsed which then ran metal to metal, melted the magnet coil (from which the smoke would have come from) and when I stopped, the pulley was so hot the serp belt melted in half and just popped off!

Anyway .... I pulled the manifold off took off the failed parts off the compressor and ordered replacements. While I was at it took the alternator off (brand new only 400ks ago) and regreased the needle roller bearing in the back of it (it was rumbling a bit). Pulled the tensioner off and will re-do the bearing on that too.

Soooo I checked the water pump and it is not leaking, has no noise when you spin it. But it does have a small amount of freeplay side to side.

My question is, has anyone elses pump had this very small sideplay? Should I just leave it alone or look at replacing the pump bearing?
What have you found in the way of movement in your pump shaft?

Cheers
Bruce.

Last edited by Bruce; 03-21-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #2
ssrszz4

Default Re: LT5 Water Pump - Possible Diagnosis and Spectacular Compressor Failure

"cruising through your hood". That don't sound too good?

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #3
Bruce

Talking Re: LT5 Water Pump - Possible Diagnosis and Spectacular Compressor Failure

[QUOTE=ssrszz4;259110]"cruising through your hood". That don't sound too good?

My hood is fine. I pulled off the motorway part to cruise through a suburb and was going to stop to grab some Subway, but before I got there the interior of the car filled with white smoke so I decided it wasnt the best idea to park up, so I put the window down, assumed cruise position (arm out the window, one hand on the steering wheel) and drove on as if nothing had happened.
Old 03-21-2017   #4
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: LT5 Water Pump - Possible Diagnosis and Spectacular Compressor Failure

I would suggest replacing the Water pump if you have play. I cannot remember if they should but I know mine started to make a groaning noise..

Another question (not completely related) I assume you Z is RHD? if so I would love to see pictures
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #5
ssrszz4

I guess that was a misread by my I was imagining the pulley cruising through the hood glad that didn't happen!

Old 03-21-2017   #6
Bruce

Thumbs up Re: LT5 Water Pump - Possible Diagnosis and Spectacular Compressor Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrszz4 View Post
I guess that was a misread by my I was imagining the pulley cruising through the hood glad that didn't happen!

No problem! It would have been a decent sight had the pulley exited the car engine bay though!
The replacement parts arrived this morning - yay.
Just thinking about removing the water pump while I have all the ancillaries off the front of the engine.
Old 03-21-2017   #7
ssrszz4

Probably best saved for 4th of July!