ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-27-2016   #1
Johnny5

Default LED Headlight Question

So i bought the metal gears to replace my headlight motors and while im in there z=IM upgrading the beams as they....come se dice (Italian for how do you say)???? SUCK LOL ARe these the same exact headlights?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Lite-2...VWTT7-&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181908396160...witem=&vxp=mtr

The second ones are half the price and llook the same.

Any experience or puchasers?
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016   #2
secondchance

Default Re: LED Headlight Question

Because the first one is a pair and the second one is one head light.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016   #3
efnfast

Says it uses a standard H4 three blade connector. Does that make it a true plug and play?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016   #4
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Says it uses a standard H4 three blade connector. Does that make it a true plug and play?
And re-grounding of driving light relay.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016   #5
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
The Nighthawks plug directly into the standard headlight socket. You do have to force it a little since the blades are slightly larger than those on the stock headlight, but it will go with a little force - no tools required.

RE plug and play, while the headlight plugs in relatively easily, you still have to mod your fog light circuitry when using LED headlights because the low-beam circuit in the standard lights provide the path to ground for the fog light relay, and the LEDs headlights will not satisfactorily complete the circuit to pull in the relay. You have to do the "ground the green wire on the fog relay" thing. Hib has a good write-up on the Registry re this, and I shared my experience under "GE Nighthawk Install" thread.

Good luck
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016   #6
efnfast

Thanks guys, I remember reading that. -Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #7
Johnny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
The Nighthawks plug directly into the standard headlight socket. You do have to force it a little since the blades are slightly larger than those on the stock headlight, but it will go with a little force - no tools required.

RE plug and play, while the headlight plugs in relatively easily, you still have to mod your fog light circuitry when using LED headlights because the low-beam circuit in the standard lights provide the path to ground for the fog light relay, and the LEDs headlights will not satisfactorily complete the circuit to pull in the relay. You have to do the "ground the green wire on the fog relay" thing. Hib has a good write-up on the Registry re this, and I shared my experience under "GE Nighthawk Install" thread.

Good luck

So buying this I should follow the NIGHTHAWK thread for wiring (LEDs/foglight fix??? Knew it would be to good to be true to just plug in and get better lights. I was thinking of getting the HELLA housing t=and using bulbs but if this got good reviews and works well i will follow my Brothers
Old 03-29-2016   #8
Johnny5

after doing some more digging and reading HIB's review I'm happy I waited to buy these bc last year i almost pulled the trigger on the HELLAs for the convenience of changing a bulb even though i never needed to. $360 with free expedited shipping! Thanks to YOUNG for pointing me in the right direction as well. I feel like a kid on XMAS whenever i get parts for the Z in the mail. I am looking forward to putting in the metal gears for the motor and these NEW LIGHTS. I had the passenger cover off when doing the headunit last year which came out great but I may be a lil lost once i put everything together and get that panel off again to get fog/healights working in unison. I'll have to show my friend/engineer this thread and ask him what to do.

FYI my bro sold his C5 Z06 to buy a C6 Z06 soon. My Z still got more attention and I do not think I'll ever sell it. Pulling into a Cars n Coffee last year there were 911 turbos, M4s, Lotus' new Z06s etc as soon as I parked there were at least 5 Chevy guys waiting for me to get out and check out my ride/ask questions etc. I love this car and wish I lived closer to the Wazoo guys as I am one of the only Z members around here (besides Ricky whom I still see every now and again)! I need to go on a mountain run or something where I can enjoy my baby and meet more Z brothers!!!
Old 03-29-2016   #9
Billy Mild

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Q6HSOY/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these lights for my ZR-1 and they have been great. They are so much brighter. Very focused beam as well. I still need to get the foglights sorted out though.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Glad you like um. Let us know any pros or cons after you've had them a while.

One thing not mentioned much is the color, usually expressed in Kº equivalent. Above 5000º and the lights become blue-ish. Those higher temp colors tend to reflect badly from water; rain - but fog especially.

Your take on them would be good to know. (Some other earlier LED versions were/are terrible in fog. Not all LEDs are created equal!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote