ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-03-2013   #1
Corbusa

Default Headers

I just ordered obx headers and dynomax mufflers (I didnt order tips yet ). not sure which ones double walled ? length ? Is there anything else I need to make the header install complete ? Easier ? Locking bolts ? studs ? I'll get gaskets from Jerry . Any other advise ? PS I also ordered a summit x pipe and will get the factory exhaust ceramic coated.
Corbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbusa View Post
I just ordered obx headers and dynomax mufflers (I didnt order tips yet ). not sure which ones double walled ? length ? Is there anything else I need to make the header install complete ? Easier ? Locking bolts ? studs ? I'll get gaskets from Jerry . Any other advise ? PS I also ordered a summit x pipe and will get the factory exhaust ceramic coated.
I would recommend ceramic coating for the headers. I had mine done by Jet-Hot coating and impressed w/ Randy's service.
Also,get a set of header gaskets.I gotminefrom Jerry's gasket.
As for the header bolts, I used Stage 8 from Summit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STG-8908/

Did not use locking tabs (not enough room nor patience) but worked fine. If pre 93 each side has 16 bolt holes. If 93 or later, 14 bolt holes each side. A couple of holes are tough to get the bolts started due to curvature of runners. It helps if bolts are cut to 3/4" or so. I got all 14 on one side and 13 on the other side mine is a 94.
Getting factory exhaust ceramic coated will cost you a few bucks -at least $300 or more - just my guess. Consider OBX SS exhaust - http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catback-...cba2ee&vxp=mtr

Looks like the price went up to $549. When I got mine it was $350. I strongly recommend using Torca band clamps since the band clamps that come w/ the exhaust are junks. However, the exhaust itself is a very good piece and I have no regrets.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #3
Corbusa

Thanks For the info. I'll order the bolts asap... I'll be using the factory exhaust and dynomax 17228 mufflers ( Its just a personal thing I think its cool to keep the 2 3/4 pipes .
Old 01-03-2013   #4
Corbusa

PSS I'm also ordering a 4 post vehicle lift.
Old 01-03-2013   #5
VetteVet

I don't know if the OBX headers come with O2 sensor extension harnesses. If they don't, you will need to order a pair.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #6
efnfast

If you're not going to use the locking tabs on the Stage 8 bolts, why bother spending the big bucks on them. When I did my headers, we could not get the clips on. I shoulda just bought regular bolts.
Talk to Swaintech about ceramic coating before you send off to Jet-Hot. They convinced me that there white lightning coating was a better choice. Not as pretty, but much more functional.
The OBX does not come with an O2 sensor extention. I wish I had know I would need one, as we just kinda' cobbled one together.
I also had to shim my motor mounts so the headers would not rub on the steering shaft.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
I don't know if the OBX headers come with O2 sensor extension harnesses. If they don't, you will need to order a pair.
OBX headers, due to addition of fake cats (really a pair of glasspacks) O2 sensor bungs are about 8-10" closer to the front. In my case (Imay have longer wires on the O2 sensor), this negated a need for an extension.
As for the exhaust, factory system, though 2.75" narrows down at the center resonators. Replacing mufflers may help the situation somewhat. What I do know is when Jim and I hooked up a pressure gauge at the O2 sensor bung on the passenger side and drove the car in the 2nd gear at 6000 rpm, factory exhaust registered 1.4 psi. Same condition, rpm, etc..., OBX registered 1 psi.
I am not trying to push you but wanted to share what we found out. One of these days we need to perform the same test w/ 3" BB and 2.5" Corsa.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #8
Hammer

Talking Re: Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
NAPA usually has the Weather Pack connectors to make them. See them here.

http://www.weatherpack.com/
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #9
Corbusa

Thanks for the info.. keep it coming. Once the system is all put together , I'll take the system down to a local powder coating shop that really comes recommended . ( I'll do the headers first no duh. ) . what about shims on the motor mounts ? what materials? how thick? ot just dimple the header ?
Old 01-04-2013   #10
Corbusa

I'm also getting a list together for Jerry , are the header gaskets reusable?