ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-02-2016   #1
ZR1North

Default Hazard Flasher

HN Year All: Do you have to remove the radio trim panel (bezel) to access the hazard flasher on a '91? According to the service manual, only the right side lower trim panel has to be removed, but can't see how you can possibly access the hazard flasher (mounted on the radio receiver) by just removing the lower trim panel.
Thanks.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Hazard Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
HN Year All: Do you have to remove the radio trim panel (bezel) to access the hazard flasher on a '91? According to the service manual, only the right side lower trim panel has to be removed, but can't see how you can possibly access the hazard flasher (mounted on the radio receiver) by just removing the lower trim panel.
Thanks.
Removing the passenger side lower trim panel will provide access to 5 relays one of which is for the hazard. These are bunched in 3 plus 2. You have to reach in from under and pull towards the front. Make mental note of pin configuration as soon as you pull. This will make it easier to plug in the replacement. Refer to the manual to identify which one you need to remove.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #3
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Removing the passenger side lower trim panel will provide access to 5 relays one of which is for the hazard. These are bunched in 3 plus 2. You have to reach in from under and pull towards the front. Make mental note of pin configuration as soon as you pull. This will make it easier to plug in the replacement. Refer to the manual to identify which one you need to remove.
Much appreciated, but according to the service manual, none of those five relays are for the hazard flasher; they are: RW defogger, horn, fuel pump 1, dome lamp and fog lamp. The four-way flasher is on the radio receiver according to the service manual, but I cannot see how you can get access to it by simply removing the lower trim panel as the manual indicates.
Old 01-02-2016   #4
secondchance

We need someone with 91 manual. Mine is a 94. There may be a couple more relays under the driver side. I removed and serviced a few radios on various years but never noticed hazard flasher relay behind the radio.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #5
WVZR-1

Why are we going after the hazard flasher? Just curious. I can't imagine it being that difficult. Pull the hush panel and with a light and a mirror you can put an eye on it. I've never gone after just the flasher in mine but I certainly can't imagine it being a major undertaking. HIZNHERZ just did a heater core in a '91, he may recall.

FLASHER.png

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-02-2016 at 05:46 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #6
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Why are we going after the hazard flasher? Just curious. I can't imagine it being that difficult. Pull the hush panel and with a light and a mirror you can put an eye on it. I've never gone after just the flasher in mine but I certainly can't imagine it being a major undertaking. HIZNHERZ just did a heater core in a '91, he may recall.

Attachment 4833
The hazard flasher replacement is required due to the conversion to LEDs; the signal lights work fine with the turn signal flasher replaced with an e-flasher, but the four-ways aren't working properly, so I'll have to do an e-flasher conversion for the emergency flashers. I am using section 8 of the '91 service manual, and it looks like simple access to the hazard flasher (mounted on the radio receiver) with just the lower trim panel removed, but hell if I can see it much less access it. Thanks gents!
Old 01-02-2016   #7
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
The hazard flasher replacement is required due to the conversion to LEDs; the signal lights work fine with the turn signal flasher replaced with an e-flasher, but the four-ways aren't working properly, so I'll have to do an e-flasher conversion for the emergency flashers. I am using section 8 of the '91 service manual, and it looks like simple access to the hazard flasher (mounted on the radio receiver) with just the lower trim panel removed, but hell if I can see it much less access it. Thanks gents!
I mentioned light and a mirror!
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #8
We Gone

The flasher is right behind the CDM ...91 FSM 8C-28--31 shows the location.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #9
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post

Attachment 4833
I just did a heater core on my 90' and I recall the flasher being in a clip behind the CDM. I think I popped it out of the clip and popped it back in after re-installation of the CDM. I also think if you reach up behind the CDM you can just feel it and pop it out of the clip.

I recall the Flasher Clip is attached to the black plastic plate which is attached by the two 10 or 8mm nuts on each side of the CDM. I think also on the rear end of that plate near the flasher is the second fuse block with a second set of fuses. The Flasher is a typical cylinder maybe 1.5 inch diameter and maybe 1.5 inch long. I recall the electrical plug on the flasher has a pig tail.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-02-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #10
ZR1North

Thanks guys. I'll keep this in mind when I get back at it tomorrow morning.