ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-13-2023   #1
RedThunder

Default Another Engine Temp Question

My problem is not with indicated temps....water temp, oil temp, oil pressure all good while driving. Water temp and oil temp both below halfway (indicated).

My question may just be an overreaction, however, I drove the car to an all Vette car show yesterday....following an 87* return home drive, I parked in my garage and parked with the hood opened (an old habit I somehow relate to less heat stress on underhood rubber and plastics).

It was already hot and humid out and while I unloaded all the "required" car show detail junk, I noted how doggone hot it was in the garage (hood open and garage door open). I was done for the time being and retired inside for its AC.

A full three hours later I went out to the garage again to complete my putting it away routine and I would have thought I'd left a forge oven running. I mean, temps in the garage were way above ambient. Here's my question, even 3 hrs later, I still could barely touch the cam covers (either side) or other engine surfaces...is this normal? Has anyone else encountered after drive heat like this for this long?

I know the water level is correct and I've recently had the coolant tank open to observe the water circulating. The overflow container is working, and when checked earlier in the week, it registered right on the "cool" line. And remember, all the guages show "normal" while driving.

Should I continue to try to diagnose, or just assume I've overreactted?
RedThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023   #2
Hobbes

Default Re: Another Engine Temp Question

Sounds normal to me. I do the same after driving in the insane Texas heat?raise the hood and keep the garage door open for a few hours when possible.
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #1648 Stainless Works headers, OBX cat-back, Haibeck chip, Haibeck 170 degree thermostat, throttle body coolant bypass, led headlights & fog lights, Etoile 455 3-piece wheels.

1973 Stingray Black/Black #421. ZZ4 with Holley Sniper EFI, Tremec TKO-600 5 speed, 3-row aluminum radiator, 18? Foose legend wheels, + lots more.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote