ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-19-2012   #1
Torchred96

Default Back together, but w/high idle and stumble/miss u, highi

I'm not going to ask for your expertise YET since I know there's a buttload of information in the archives, but just lettin ya know, that I got her back together, and she has some bugs, but overall, I'm very pleased with the idle (after initial startup that is), and the engine really WANTS to go, but feels like it's holding back....as in the timing feels like it's retarded.

A couple things:
I didn't have the pcv system completely hooked up (only had the suction side of the pcv in the f connector going to suction) need to make a hose for the valves. Also, I'm almost positive I don't have any unplugged vacuum lines in the plenum.

Had the tb apart for powdercoating...didnt' adjust anything but maybe I just the act of taking it apart changed things...which I was afraid of .

Didn't change the coils/wires/plugs or check them while I was in there, just assumed I was dealing with bad injectors.

I have marc's chip for secondary delete

The nasty (sounds like a rod) knock from the flywheel is GONE...HURRAY!!

New problem surfaced, or at least I hadn't noticed it before because of all the other music the engine was making...the waterpump is rattling. I loosened the belt while it was running and waited for the pump to stop turning and the motor made no more noises except an occasional miss..sounds like ignition
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #2
LGAFF

Default Re: Back together, but w/high idle and stumble/miss u, highi

wires on the wrong coil?
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #3
Torchred96

God I hope not, I took pictures beforehand and PAINSTAKINGLY put them back on. It runs very smooth at idle and it just has a shudder at times and then smoothes out on acceleration. Just doesn't pull like it should though.

Makes a bunch of noise though, like it's going somewhere fast.... but isnt
Old 01-19-2012   #4
LGAFF

2ndry Map Sensor?
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #5
Torchred96

Is that the sensor under the ecm? If so, it is still plugged in and uncapped per marc's instructions with the chip. The sensor at the back of the plenum has it's source of vacuum and is plugged into the plenum. The fuel pressure regulator is hooked up too to the manifold.

It really seems like I have a spark miss. If it's idling, it will idle great, then all of a sudden miss for a couple seconds and then clear up.

tommorow when i get off work, I'm gonna pull the plugs and put some dielectric grease in the boots....then, if no luck, I will be posting for help.

thanks lee.. I can't wait for it to run right. even though it's not running perfectly (runs 100% better than before) , it sounds like a freight train...you can tell it's getting more air than before and just wants to breathe..
Old 01-19-2012   #6
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred96 View Post
it sounds like a freight train...you can tell it's getting more air than before and just wants to breathe..
Air at idle is controlled by the primary throttle plate. With no leaks, e.g., TB gasket, etc, it shouldn't be getting any more air than before.

When you get a chance, pull the accordion tube off the air horn and press a vinyl 3-ring binder against the opening. If it doesn't die, then you know you're getting air in somewhere.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #7
mike100

It almost sounds like you have a cylinder specific vacuum leak...like a piece of grit or doubled up gasket material has prevented the injector housing from mating properly.

It is encouraging that the new injectors have alleviated the flywheel rattle. I'm not surprised, mine was much better afterwords too.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #8
Torchred96

Good tip Paul. Mike, Abdolutely, I am most of all relieved that that nasty racket went away. That's the most encouraging part of this whole thing. I know I'll figure out the miss eventually now that I know for sure I don't have a rod knocking.

I am worried a bit about possibly air leaking in from the injectors because when I pushed them into the rail, I just went in as far as I could push, assuming that that's the correct spot, but then when putting the assemble into the IH, I did notice that the o ring on the primary or secondary (the smaller injector hole in the IH..dont remember which) didn't go too far in the hole...maybe a leak there, dunno yet. I am using new accels and I think I remember them sitting all sitting pretty evenly at the bottom of the injector..In other words, if you could take a ruler on the bottom of the injector it would touch each one.. Another possibility is that I noticed some of the injector wires didn't snap into position..One actually kept popping off. so maybe I got to see what's holding them from snapping into position after I made the tab mod w my dremel.

Do you know if the primary and sec injectors are suppose to be a different heights in the ih? I know the one with the big o ring goes into the ih deeper, but is the "altitude" in relation to say the cylinder head all the same? Or should I have adjusted the smaller o ring to go deeper in?

Also, I initially I screwed up and put the Injectors in without tightening down the IH bolts so I had to remove them. Since they went in hard with just oil, I used pauls suggestion with vasaline. I may have over done it (I tend to use a lot of vasaline) and thought maybe it got sucked down onto a plug causing a miss.

I'll report what I found tomorrow after I check it out ..thanks!

Last edited by Torchred96; 01-20-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2012   #9
Torchred96

also, does the computer adjust the idle even though I may have an air leak? I mean after the 3k startup, it idles nice and low.
Old 01-20-2012   #10
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred96 View Post
also, does the computer adjust the idle even though I may have an air leak? I mean after the 3k startup, it idles nice and low.
Sam, It will try to do so, but it's success will depend upon if the leak is small enough for it to compensate. However then there will be other data streams that will be out of their normal range and that should tip you to where to start looking, I think anyway.

I am almost positive that if the ECM has been out of the power grid and then gets reconnected. It takes some time and or mileage before it re-learns how to compliment the way you drive the car. I'm not so sure that is your issue's cause but it does take time to re-learn.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote