ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-13-2020   #1
Wigert

Default O2 sensor passenger side pita

Okay guys, it's my turn to replace the o2 sensors. Driver side went fine. I have read about the other one being problematic.. I have removed the 45 degree bracket like other threads pointed out. Would it help to remove the plate mounted to the block or do I have to manipulate it like it is? I am a bit afraid to loose the other connector so I can't reach it... IMG_20200913_153440.jpgIMG_20200913_153510.jpg

Sent from my EVR-L29 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Wigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #2
Z51JEFF

Default Re: O2 sensor passenger side pita

You?ve got everything off that needs to come off. How I did mine was I took a long,thin STANDARD screw driver to release the tab on the plug to release it. To plug in the plug on the new part I put a wad of DUM DUM on the end of the screwdriver to hold to plug as I get it lined up the the other end of the plug. Once lined up keep pushing until the tab locks in place. DUM DUM is a black sticky type stuff used as seam sealer between panels. It is a pain in the @$$ it basically you just have to do whatever works.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #3
Wigert

A big thanks for the reply! I very much appreciate it. Is there something holding the connector in place upstream? Can one in other words push the new sensor connector against the other one without it going further up/in?

Old 09-14-2020   #4
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigert View Post
A big thanks for the reply! I very much appreciate it. Is there something holding the connector in place upstream? Can one in other words push the new sensor connector against the other one without it going further up/in?

I think it is held in place but I?m not sure,been awhile.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I suggest that IF EVER headers are installed, goto Summit Racing and get a pair of O2 bungs (and a couple O2 plugs too to plug the old holes), and mount them on the outside (lateral) side of the collector. Then you can access the O2s w/o even jacking up the car!
NOTE: IIRC, I spliced in a new, extended reach pigtail and wrapped it in a heat wrap and tucked it under the heat shield. Has worked for going on 9 years and 30k miles with no problems (with the wiring - did just change the O2s as part of an unrelated experiment).

Ask Marc Haibec how he likes the setup!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #6
ram_g

Quote:
Would it help to remove the plate mounted to the block
According to the 1991 FSM, on the passenger side, you have to remove the "sheet metal plate" held on to the oil pan with 2 bolts. Unfortunately there is no diagram, but since it specifically mentions oil pan and 2 bolts, I don't think it's referencing the diagonal brace.

Apologies I haven't looked myself, but this plate that you mention - is it attached to the oil pan specifically? Any idea what purpose it serves / what the other end is attached to? It could in fact be the plate referenced in the FSM that needs to be removed to access the connector.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #7
Wigert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I suggest that IF EVER headers are installed, goto Summit Racing and get a pair of O2 bungs (and a couple O2 plugs too to plug the old holes), and mount them on the outside (lateral) side of the collector. Then you can access the O2s w/o even jacking up the car!
NOTE: IIRC, I spliced in a new, extended reach pigtail and wrapped it in a heat wrap and tucked it under the heat shield. Has worked for going on 9 years and 30k miles with no problems (with the wiring - did just change the O2s as part of an unrelated experiment).

Ask Marc Haibec how he likes the setup!
[emoji106]
Thanks for the suggestion. Headers is not on my road map any time soon but I will keep this in mind.

Old 09-14-2020   #8
Wigert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
According to the 1991 FSM, on the passenger side, you have to remove the "sheet metal plate" held on to the oil pan with 2 bolts. Unfortunately there is no diagram, but since it specifically mentions oil pan and 2 bolts, I don't think it's referencing the diagonal brace.

Apologies I haven't looked myself, but this plate that you mention - is it attached to the oil pan specifically? Any idea what purpose it serves / what the other end is attached to? It could in fact be the plate referenced in the FSM that needs to be removed to access the connector.
Thanks for the input! The plate in my photos looks like it could be removed and pulled out. What section in your FSM did they mention it? I too have a FSM but for the 1990 but did not find much regarding the oxygen sensor removal process...

Old 09-14-2020   #9
ram_g

Quote:
What section in your FSM did they mention it?
In my '91 FSM (electronic version) it's on pages 6E3-C1-16 and -17 under "Driveability and Emissions 5.7l (VIN J)".

It's pretty underwhelming, very scant directions!

I can see about posting a pic of the page later.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #10
Wigert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
In my '91 FSM (electronic version) it's on pages 6E3-C1-16 and -17 under "Driveability and Emissions 5.7l (VIN J)".

It's pretty underwhelming, very scant directions!

I can see about posting a pic of the page later.
Thank you very much for the reference, I now managed to find that same section in my FSM. It is clear that I need to remove the plate as well. Hopefully that will simplify things.