ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-20-2016   #1
rush91

Default Chmsl fixed but now...

Just a follow up....I finally got my brake switch out and fixed. I got an original AC Delco switch, interestingly from the mechanic who lives across the street from me. I was telling him about my 3rd brake light, he and goes " come on in the garage, I may have what you are looking for."

We had a old guy here in Carterville, who for years owned a little AC Delco shop. He retired around 1997, and just closed his shop. I remember driving by it for years, just seeing all the inventory collecting dust. Then one day it was all gone. Well, it seems this mechanic happened to get all of his old stock......He walks to the back of the garage, and thats's when I see ALL of that old stock lol. I helped him look for about a minute, and we found the switch. In the original, kind of faded, and dusty AC Delco box. I had not ordered one yet, and said I'll give you $10 for it. I ended up getting it and bulbs for every light on the car pretty much, all factory Delco parts, for $10!!! Long story short, you just got to love small, hometown businesses. Never know what you will find........

I got the switch changed no problem, but now I have no cruise control AND I'll get out of the car and notice my 4 main brake lights on. I'll tap the pedal and they go off. Thinking I did something wrong......
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #2
ghlkal

Default Re: Chmsl fixed but now...

Cool neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
I got the switch changed no problem, but now I have no cruise control AND I'll get out of the car and notice my 4 main brake lights on. I'll tap the pedal and they go off. Thinking I did something wrong......
I had to change my brake switch to get the CHMSL to work and it fixed the cruise control which wasn't working, so something's not right.

Do I recall that you can adjust the "button" that is pushed by the brake ... or am I thinking of a different car?
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #3
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
Cool neighbor!

I had to change my brake switch to get the CHMSL to work and it fixed the cruise control which wasn't working, so something's not right.

Do I recall that you can adjust the "button" that is pushed by the brake ... or am I thinking of a different car?

Yes, I think I did something wrong.....Cruise was working just fine before, but I also have a new vacuum leak, I think under the Plenum. Which maybe why no cruise....... I may have stuffed something, like the Viper alarm, back under there too tight.

Sigh......I'm not looking forward to crawling and contorting back under there.
Old 07-20-2016   #4
Kevin

move the drivers seat all the way back and take the roof off, it helps quite a bit
Old 07-20-2016   #5
Mystic ZR-1

take 10 minutes and remove the seat,
4 bolts and a couple elec connectors.
makes it a lot easier!
you might even find some spare change!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #6
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
take 10 minutes and remove the seat,
4 bolts and a couple elec connectors.
makes it a lot easier!
you might even find some spare change!

I found a lighter, 76 cents, and two speed nuts the first time I removed the seat cushion.....
Old 07-20-2016   #7
Mystic ZR-1

76 cents!
It's about time for the Corvette thing to be on a paying basis...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #8
Z51JEFF

Sounds like the switch isn't adjusted right,you need to push switch in the bracket as far as it will go. With the button in be out he lights are on,depress the button and the lights go out. I think that's how it works. Did you compare the new switch to the old one?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #9
steve1263

The switch just needs be be adjusted then the brake lights will then work properly I had the same problem when i replaced the switch in my 91. If i remember correctly there are 2 wires to the switch, one is for the brake lights and the other is for the cruise control some replacement switches only have one connector, check to make sure you have the proper switch and that both wires are connected.
Old 07-21-2016   #10
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1263 View Post
The switch just needs be be adjusted then the brake lights will then work properly I had the same problem when i replaced the switch in my 91. If i remember correctly there are 2 wires to the switch, one is for the brake lights and the other is for the cruise control some replacement switches only have one connector, check to make sure you have the proper switch and that both wires are connected.
Both plugs are for the 2 brakelight circuits. Not sure where the CC picks up the signal from the brake circuit.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote