ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-05-2015   #1
emmvette

Default Any of you ever do the Sand Hills Open Road Challenge

I was wondering if any of you have participated in the SORC and if so what you can tell me about it. I've heard a little about it, but really don't know that much. Sign-up start today for next summer's event.
Old 10-06-2015   #2
Meanmyz

Default Re: Any of you ever do the Sand Hills Open Road Challenge

I can. This August I road as navigator in both the SORC race and the Loup to Loup race. The place to find all of your information is here: www.sorcrace.com .

It is an awesome, fun time. I road in a friend's 385 cu 1990 Mallett Motorsports ZR-1, the "Black Rat".

We ran the SORC in the 100 mph class. Our tech speed for that event was 140, meaning that we couldn't go over that speed.

In the Loup to Loup, we ran the 80 mph class with a tech speed of 110.

Through all of the curves and the straightaways, the car closest to average the speed for the class they are in, wins.

I can tell you, the racers usually finish within tenths of a perfect time. Still, we got third place in the Loup to Loup race. This was my first nav. effort and we were off like 6 seconds. ...We only placed because we didn't have that many contenders in our class. In the SORC race, I think we were off like 2.8 seconds and didn't place.

It is a lot of fun. There is a lot of car guy camaraderie...and drinking of beer (not when racing). There is also a 1 mile and 1/2 mile shoot out. This year, the winner of the unlimited class in the 1 mile was a 2000 HP Lamborghini Gallardo. In his three runs, he went 218, 216, and 217 mph through the mile!

A great time. I would like to run in it myself...maybe 2017's race. I think about 4 or 5 C4 ZR-1's were at the event.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 10-06-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #3
emmvette

Default Re: Any of you ever do the Sand Hills Open Road Challenge

Will anybody be there? I plan to be there Thursday - Saturday. Let me know, and we could meet up.

Tags
racing