ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-25-2010   #1
Demps

Default Instrument Cluster

I've done quite a few things with these cars. The latest that I've tackled taught me a bit. It is the instrument cluster. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures but can help if anyone needs it.

SITUATION: Dark Red car came with an LT1 instrument cluster (I will keep my comments to myself but it was taken to a dealership with an inoperable oil temp gauge). With DJ's help, I found the only available 94-95 LT5 cluster in the world. Put it in and guess what--the d@mn oil temp gauge was broken. Well I've lived with it for a year but I have decided to enjoy this car--find some headers and drive the fool out of it. The gauge was driving me crazy.

SOLUTION: Re-remove the instrument cluster and take it apart. Here's what I learned:

Knowing the analog gauges are not very accurate ,nor linear, I decided to cannibalize the LT1 individual instruments and replace into the LT5 cluster. Well, the part number was the same so no issue. A few screws to remove the face and a gentle pry the cover was off. It involved removing the needle indicator(s). The LT1 parts were in better shape so I used its needles for the LT5. Put it all back together and guess what...worked.

LESSONS LEARNED:

I've followed these cars for a while and have read all of the old Registry magazines. There are some tachometers that are off. Guess what-->just remove the needle and replace at the correct place. You must pry the needle gauge from beneath so as not to break the black cover.

Disclaimer: I followed the service manual to R&R the instrument cluster. The rest is not written anywhere. Use at your own risk. My risk was looking at a ~$400 repair. I overcame that in about 20 minutes.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Instrument Cluster

so the needles are not keyed? I would love to have a plug in cluster with more accurate gauges..

thanks for the write up on the cluster R&R..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #3
Demps

Default Re: Instrument Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
so the needles are not keyed? I would love to have a plug in cluster with more accurate gauges..

thanks for the write up on the cluster R&R..
Not keyed for the "shaft" of the gauge but limited in sweep by a notch in the back-board and an extension off of the needle that fits into that notch to only allow it to swing the area of the back-board marking.

I started to fabricate a DC reostat to plug into the back of the instrument cluster but figured it would be overkill for my single fix.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote